Author Topic: Appendix Carry  (Read 2738 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Appendix Carry
« on: May 17, 2021, 07:56:10 PM »
I think I might transition to appendix carry for when I need to IWB instead of OWB.

It is surprising to me. I'm from the "Appendix carry? Are you crazy?!?" era. However, I've been watching a lot of the gun channels on youtube lately. It seems that almost every one of the guys that are bona fide trigger pullers with the creds to prove it do appendix carry. At first I thought maybe one or two of them were just being weirdos, but as  I watched more of them ,and their trigger puller guests, everybody was doing appendix.

I started watching more appendix carry specific videos, and for the last few days have been testing it out with an Aliengear IWB and an empty P365XL. Doing my normal routine around the house, practicing draws, etc., I am finding it more comfortable than most of my IWB carry, which is at 8-9 o'clock. That includes sitting down, which I thought would be a big issue. The only thing it seems to do is make me have better posture and not slouch. It's also a faster draw. Not faster than OWB for me, but definitely faster than my regular IWB.

I'm not fat, but also don't have anything near a washboard. I like to think I could lose 10lbs. Still, it seems to be working for me, at least with the P365XL. I expect, from what I have read and watched, that something like a 1911 would be less comfortable. I would like to try it with maybe my FNX-9 or my CZ P01 Omega, though my current IWB holsters for those two guns are probably not ideal. The Aliengear holster is very comfortable and seems to give some cushion between me and the gun. This also seems to work best with an instructor style belt.

Anyway, I was surprised (both at its popularity and that it seems to work for me) that I liked it. I still like OWB the best, but this seems to work well for me, and also seems to cover the gun much better than my normal IWB carry style. Which is important, because about the only times these days that I IWB is when I need to make sure concealed means concealed. I was surprised at that too. I thought  I would look like  I had a massive goiter, but there's really no printing with a regular t-shirt, unlike 9 o'clock IWB for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Appendix Carry
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 08:03:17 PM »
How’s appendix carry feel when sitting down?  Like in your vehicle or at dinner?  I think my taco belly would prohibit comfortable sitting in that position.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 08:18:32 PM »
That's how I carry my 365xl as well. I have noticed that if I let myself go, and gain a couple inches in the gut, it's less comfortable,  but as long as I'm reasonably svelte  (not washboard,  but not gut-over-belt) it's super comfortable,  even while driving.

I tend to be extremely conscious of trigger discipline on the draw though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:41:59 PM by dogmush »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 08:39:28 PM »
It obviously works for a lot of people. It seems to have really taken over the kydex holster market.

I don't buy the idea (pushed by some), that hip carry is just as dangerous. But the risk is yours to assume.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 08:49:01 PM »
I switched to AIWB about 2 years ago.  I like it much better than carrying behind the hip.

Since I am carrying a full size M&P, I find that the muzzle digs into my pelvis when I sit down.  It is uncomfortable after about 30 minutes like that.  Hopefully, I'll get my P365 back from the 'smith soon so I can enjoy having a shorter barrel in my pants for the first time in my life.

I agree that concealment is easier and so is retention.  Also easier to use my off hand when doing one handed drills.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 08:54:09 PM »
My appendix is way too big for appendix carry. :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:00:17 PM »
How’s appendix carry feel when sitting down?  Like in your vehicle or at dinner?  I think my taco belly would prohibit comfortable sitting in that position.

As mentioned, the only thing it really has me doing is sitting up straight. If I slouch, it gets uncomfortable, but sitting with good posture, the P365 is hardly noticeable. As I said, that's the only one I've been working with so I don't know if my larger guns would change my mind. I also haven't gone driving with it yet.

Copy on the trigger discipline. I saw that emphasized on the training videos and have been very focused when reholstering.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 09:10:36 PM »
I don't buy the idea (pushed by some), that hip carry is just as dangerous. But the risk is yours to assume.

I was right there with you, and from my armchair, will say that OWB hip carry is safer than appendix. However John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) did an interesting video comparing IWB hip vs appendix, and tracing the angles of draw, it seems you're just as likely to shoot a major artery or do other major damage with hip IWB as with appendix.

Obviously you won't shoot your nuts off with an IWB hip ND, but the life threatening damage probability  between IWB hip and appendix appears to be similar.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »
I tend to do pockets. The G43 in the right front pocket, and the 642 in a vest pocket. I figure it'll shred the vest, maybe torch it, but... I can have my hand on it, and pointed, when the guy with the ski mask walks through the door. Happened with two of 'em last week. They turned around and went out.

I fear I have lost the gift of subtlety.

I suspect grinning like a madman was somewhat channeling Doc H...

I hope we FINALLY get away from this mask thing. It's frickin stressful in Murder City retail...

(the mopes had been sitting outside in a backed-in car, no plates, beat to *expletive deleted*it like they'd stolen it to play GTA:STL, for about a half hour)
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 10:29:55 PM »
I was right there with you, and from my armchair, will say that OWB hip carry is safer than appendix. However John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) did an interesting video comparing IWB hip vs appendix, and tracing the angles of draw, it seems you're just as likely to shoot a major artery or do other major damage with hip IWB as with appendix.

Obviously you won't shoot your nuts off with an IWB hip ND, but the life threatening damage probability  between IWB hip and appendix appears to be similar.

Saw that. For the dangers of hip carry, he mostly focused on 3 o'clock, and at one point conceded that 4 o'clock is actually safer than appendix or 3 o'clock. At least, that's how I remember it.

I'm not saying if you carry appendix you're crazy, and half-way to being a eunuch. As I said, plenty of people do just fine with it. I just wish the proponents would acknowledge it's significantly riskier. They can come up with all the "but actually," and weird angles they want to. How is it going to make a gun in your lap just as safe as a gun behind your hip?

Of course, I'm sure some people have looked much more deeply into this than I.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 11:26:13 PM »
I used to carry a P3AT behind my belt buckle, do the same with a 642. I have a holster for a Glock to do AIWB. But, anything in the front of my pants needs to have zero chance of going bang. Junk pretty useless but I like my femoral artery just the way it is. So for a Glock it gets put on while in the holster already or it is C3. Same with SA pistols. I will deal with the time penalty and not even bore you with the details of my super secret israeli shooting program. I will take my chances on the draw speed to not end up a Cheddar Bob. Still prefer behind the hip.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
I see its merits for concealed carry.  Just doesn't work for me.  No matter what pistol and angle I try, the barrel digs into my thigh when seated.  I don't have those issues with strong side carry.

There's a range/store near me where all of the staff open carry.  Every one of them is open carrying IWB in the appendix position these days.  I guess that's tacti-cool.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 01:19:20 PM »
Every one of them is open carrying IWB in the appendix position these days.  I guess that's tacti-cool.

That I don't get. If you are OCing, be comfortable. No IWB is more comfortable than OWB. Though I think you called it, and they are doing it to look cool. Just look at that Walther commercial for the new pistol.

All the guys at my gun store OC full kydex rigs, made by GunfightersINC, who they promote.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 01:28:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFs7JVhRAg
I came across this video recently on Fat Guy Appendix carry.  I thought it was funny. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »
I suppose one could make the case that, since the gun's not concealed, having it up front is best for retention.

I think if I worked a gun counter, I'd want to be OCing something like a 1917 revolver, in a leather rig. Maybe 2 of them.  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »
I came across this video recently on Fat Guy Appendix carry.  I thought it was funny.

That was funny.   =)

I'm trying to figure out what kind of short shorts he's wearing that a Glock 17 barrel sticks out the bottom.  :laugh:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 01:38:04 PM »

One of the well thought of AIWB holster makers is a pretty rotund guy.  His name will come to me sometime.

--edit to add--

Spencer Keepers
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
That was funny.   =)

I'm trying to figure out what kind of short shorts he's wearing that a Glock 17 barrel sticks out the bottom.  :laugh:

Ranger panties.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 03:03:34 PM »
One of the well thought of AIWB holster makers is a pretty rotund guy.  His name will come to me sometime.

--edit to add--

Spencer Keepers

Speaking of fat guys and AIWB carry... Scott Jedilinski makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vz8QZlQg9E

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »
Hey Fly320s and Dogmush - what holsters are you guys using for appendix? My preliminary research seems to be pointing to Tier 1 for dedicated AIWB holsters.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 07:59:26 PM »
A local maker that I picked up at a gun show. Pretty standard kydex design with a "wing". I have a Odin Holsters Kompis as well that I'm not super taken with.
My rig:
https://imgur.com/a/Q02e4gw

This is the Kompis that I have and am not a fan of.  Pluses:I like the clip back by the trigger guard to limit overall thickness. Minuses; the open top design makes me nervous. It's never fallen out, but reholstering with the holster on the belt is not safely possible IMHO.
https://odinholsters.com/collections/the-valknut/products/aiwb-kompis-holster

ETA: Something like the Tier 1 T-1M looks pretty comfy and reasonable.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 09:56:37 PM »
I tried that appendix thing today, it failed miserably. I guess I could cut 5 or 6 inches off of the barrel and it would be better. ;)

bob

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 10:18:28 PM »
Hey Fly320s and Dogmush - what holsters are you guys using for appendix? My preliminary research seems to be pointing to Tier 1 for dedicated AIWB holsters.

I've settled on T-Rex Arms for now with a separate spare mag pouch.   I like how small the holster is, but they do have an option for an all-in-one holster and mag pouch like Tier 1 has.

Tier 1 looks to be very similar to T-Rex Arms so I bet that would work for me, too.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 11:45:12 PM »
What clock position is your 'appendix carry'? I recall it being 9-11 for lefties and 1-3 for righties a while back, but now I'm seeing 12 o'clock carry as the definition of appendix, and I've got a host of problems with that... mainly because I use public toilets at times, and I want to be focusing more on how to tactically use paper-thin TP than how to deal with dumping my gun+holster on the floor because I just had near-lethal amounts of caffeine 30 minutes back.
I've carried between 1-2 o'clock and it was... fine. Miserable like all IWB carry, but doable, plus easier to conceal as your shirt/coat rarely rises in front, while semi-vigorous movements can expose a gun in the 4 o'clock position.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 12:48:58 AM »
They call it appendix carry, but that thing hanging at 12 o'clock aint your appendix.