Author Topic: Appendix Carry  (Read 2737 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Appendix Carry
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 01:05:10 AM »
What clock position is your 'appendix carry'? I recall it being 9-11 for lefties and 1-3 for righties a while back, but now I'm seeing 12 o'clock carry as the definition of appendix, and I've got a host of problems with that... mainly because I use public toilets at times, and I want to be focusing more on how to tactically use paper-thin TP than how to deal with dumping my gun+holster on the floor because I just had near-lethal amounts of caffeine 30 minutes back.
I've carried between 1-2 o'clock and it was... fine. Miserable like all IWB carry, but doable, plus easier to conceal as your shirt/coat rarely rises in front, while semi-vigorous movements can expose a gun in the 4 o'clock position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th0G8rkhBqg&t=39s
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
What clock position is your 'appendix carry'? I recall it being 9-11 for lefties and 1-3 for righties a while back, but now I'm seeing 12 o'clock carry as the definition of appendix,

My trial at it has been working out best at (lefty) around 1100-1130.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 08:19:41 AM »
Thanks for the holster input Dogmush and Fly320s. The first link in Dogmush's post looks exactly like the KT Mech Akela I have for the P365 except for the wing.

Going to the T-rex site and looking at firearm compatibility options seems to bear out much of what I've been seeing as I look into this more in that most appendix carry seems to be geared towards striker fire pistols. I actually don't think I've seen a youtube video yet where someone was carrying other than striker fire. I'm sure much of that is just the popularity of striker fire guns, but still an interesting aside.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 09:28:29 AM »
Thanks for the holster input Dogmush and Fly320s. The first link in Dogmush's post looks exactly like the KT Mech Akela I have for the P365 except for the wing.

Going to the T-rex site and looking at firearm compatibility options seems to bear out much of what I've been seeing as I look into this more in that most appendix carry seems to be geared towards striker fire pistols. I actually don't think I've seen a youtube video yet where someone was carrying other than striker fire. I'm sure much of that is just the popularity of striker fire guns, but still an interesting aside.

The Rule drummed into us, for forever, has always been "don't point your muzzle at stuff you don't want to shoot".  But now, it's OK?

I "see" (YouToob, gun forum & blog chatter) folks AIWBing also revolvers**, usually snubs or 3" guns, and hammer fired DA/SA guns.

Guns are made to be safe.  Won't go off "on accident"*.  Trigger has to be pulled.   Guns are safer than they've ever been.

But shooters aren't.

(*there's a common mis-grammaticality that totally grates on me.)
** if and when I ever get AIWB to work, it'll probably be with a revolver.   Safer "administrative handling", and you have to really f-up to pull that trigger by accident.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:26:50 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
The Rule drummed into us, for forever, has always been "don't point your muzzle at stuff you don't want to shoot".  But now, it's OK?

Thinking about it, is there any carry method that doesn't point the muzzle at your body when holstering the gun? Even with OWB hip carry, when I holster I'm pretty sure I would at least get a graze if I had an ND. Horizontal shoulder carry would probably keep you clear, though the muzzle is pointing downrange somewhere. Maybe OWB crossdraw?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
Thinking about it, is there any carry method that doesn't point the muzzle at your body when holstering the gun? Even with OWB hip carry, when I holster I'm pretty sure I would at least get a graze if I had an ND. Horizontal shoulder carry would probably keep you clear, though the muzzle is pointing downrange somewhere. Maybe OWB crossdraw?

A graze across the thigh is less dramatic than blowing a hole through Mr. Happy, or bleeding out.

Shoulder and crossdraw get everybody else muzzled.

No getting around it;

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
I think there are usually ways you can adjust your posture to keep the muzzle pointed a little safer while holstering.

I also see a lot of people recommend holstering with your thumb on the back of the slide so you might feel the striker resetting if the trigger is catching on something.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »
A holstered firearm is not the same as a firearm in the hand.  Sometimes common sense is warranted when reading the rules.

On another note: I don't use my pockets for hands (institutionalized by the Army), but I routinely hook my thumbs in my belt.  It's a pretty standard standing stance around here.  Appendix carry let's me put my hand on the but of my gun in a condition orange situation, while appearing to be relaxed and standing with my thumbs in my belt.  Much like people do with pocket carry.  With my Sig, my hand completely covers the gun and it's still concealed, but I am much closer to a draw if needed.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »
I think there are usually ways you can adjust your posture to keep the muzzle pointed a little safer while holstering.

There are, and I see folks advocating that, and the holster features that make that do-able.  "Lean away.  Look it in.  Go slow.  Thumb on hammer."

I also see a lot of people recommend holstering with your thumb on the back of the slide so you might feel the striker resetting if the trigger is catching on something.

Striker Control Device

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2022, 12:42:04 PM »
So nearly a year after I started this thread, I am really liking appendix carry for the P365XL. The big change for me was getting a Tier 1 holster - the Axis Slim. Expensive holster, but what a difference from trying to use one of my other IWB holsters for appendix. I think the hinge between the holster and mag carrier, and the bigger width with the mag carrier, just make all the difference.

It's super comfortable in all positions, including behind the steering wheel. Bending and sitting are much more comfortable than with the other holsters I've tried.

I'm carrying P365XL/appendix more than full size/hip these days when it's warmer out, and will likely do so through Summer. Right now I'm mostly wearing t-shirts with lightweight hoodies over them, and the rig just disappears. For the few weeks total of really hot days, I need to figure out if I want to carry against my bare skin under a t-shirt or wear one of the lycra athletic Ts under my t-shirt.

I'd like to experiment with one of my bigger guns, like a commander size 1911 or my CZ P-01, but these holsters are kinda pricey for doing carry tests.  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »
For the few weeks total of really hot days, I need to figure out if I want to carry against my bare skin under a t-shirt or wear one of the lycra athletic Ts under my t-shirt.

Not an A shirt?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »
Not an A shirt?

Those are only for the A-Team.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2022, 03:47:26 PM »
I am also carrying my 365XL in a Tier 1 Concealed holster.  I like it, although I did end up taking the mag pouch off because I didn't like having a clip on either side of the pants button.

I like that the T1C lets me have the 365XL with both optic and light attached.

One thing about appendix carry is that it definitely lets you know if you let yourself go and start getting a gut.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2022, 03:55:21 PM »
One thing about appendix carry is that it definitely lets you know if you let yourself go and start getting a gut.

Word. :rofl:

Rather than the pants button, I have found belt loop placement to make a difference (just as with any other carry I do). I usually don't buy high priced jeans, but have been wearing the Vertx jeans as my going to town jeans and they really are well designed for CC (my cheap Tractor Supply work jeans are a pretty close second). I've also been offsetting the belt buckle and just recently got a Nexbelt ratcheting belt, which I'm still evaluating.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2022, 04:16:36 PM »
I've got way too much appendix for appendix carry. :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2022, 04:38:45 PM »
Not an A shirt?

He's not married, so no wife to beat.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »
A lot of fun people think that skill is demonstrated by deft speedy maneuvers in all things. Playing gun games I had to remind them that unload and show clear was not a timed event. Still my beef with just about every form of ccw the stakes are just higher with appendix. Never ever in a hurry to reholster. That said I seem to be back to my smith 325 as my carry. Front Mexican with a T-shirt is pretty normal and it hides that big wheel nicely.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2022, 07:36:55 PM »
He's not married, so no wife to beat.

Even bachelors may share in the low character and brutishness for which we, the A-shirt clad, are known.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2022, 02:38:08 PM »
Even bachelors may share in the low character and brutishness for which we, the A-shirt clad, are known.

Excellent snark, well done.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2022, 03:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2022, 04:06:31 PM »

Only Budweiser is worthy of that shirt.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2022, 05:03:59 PM »
Only Budweiser is worthy of that shirt.

He's watching his figure.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2022, 05:45:36 PM »
So I didn't even know an "A-shirt" was a wife beater. I'd never heard that term before.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2022, 05:48:46 PM »
So I didn't even know an "A-shirt" was a wife beater. I'd never heard that term before.

I think it all started with the first season of COPS. All the POS wife beaters were wearing white A shirts.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2022, 05:52:25 PM »
Also in the 80s and 90s, 40oz bottles of domestic beer were refered to as wife beaters in Iowa. That term has definitely fallen out of fashion.

I.e. I'm going to the gas station to grab a wife beater for the road.

Uranus is a gas giant.