Author Topic: From janitor to TSP millionaire  (Read 1870 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
From janitor to TSP millionaire
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: From janitor to TSP millionaire
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
Is that in addition to any other retirement/pension money for federal employees?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:06:27 PM »
Is that in addition to any other retirement/pension money for federal employees?

Yes/no. It's in addition to our pension for FERS employees / military. Basically the fed.gov equivalent of the 401K. Up until this year, it was somewhat limited in how you could take out the dough, but it is more like a 401K now in that regard.

Uncle sugar contributes 1% to the TSP for FERS employees whether the employee participates or not. This is to give them parity with CSRS employees (an old pension system that was stopped in the 80s - employees at the time were grandfathered in). CSRS employees don't get the employer contribution (because their pension is better - I think it's the same for .mil), but can still participate in the TSP. For FERS employees at least, if you participate, the gov matches the first 3% and then gives you a 50% match for another 2% (or vice versa - I always forget).

It also has probably the cheapest fees out there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:20:20 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 11:38:26 PM »
I've been a public employee for 17 years, I've taken advantage of low management fees on 403 and 457 retirement accounts. Most have not been matching funds but allowed payroll deduction. I should be a multimillionaire do to diligent savings at retirement.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:19:39 AM »
But you only get the money if you turn your TSP reports with the right cover sheets in on time, right?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 12:50:28 AM »
But you only get the money if you turn your TSP reports with the right cover sheets in on time, right?

To just one boss, or all 3?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:52:46 AM »
We'll all be millionaires soon.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
Tangent, but what I find funny about the "millionaire" thing for retirement plans, is that of all the people posting on social media that they have become millionaires, some significant segment of that population has to be progressive, no?

So haven't they now become part of the evil rich 1% (more like 10% at 1 mil) and don't they now have to protest themselves?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
Tangent, but what I find funny about the "millionaire" thing for retirement plans, is that of all the people posting on social media that they have become millionaires, some significant segment of that population has to be progressive, no?

So haven't they now become part of the evil rich 1% (more like 10% at 1 mil) and don't they now have to protest themselves?  =D

You know better than that.  Only those other people are the evil rich.  The progressives don't tax themselves.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »

Well, you see, it's OK for them to be millionaires because they did it all on their own, and they didn't rob anyone blind while doing so. Everyone else who is a millionaire, though? They're evil bastards and have to be made poor through progressive taxation to return that stolen wealth to the poor whom they pillaged.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:17:17 AM »
We'll all be millionaires soon.

I hit the millionaire mark a couple of years ago between retirement, savings, and home equity, even after subtracting out all of my debt.

I might be a millionaire but it sure as *expletive deleted*it don't feel that way...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
IRWINNING!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Irwhatever.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
My plan is to keep everything in the G fund and retire with enough for a Viking funeral boat.  :old:
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!