Author Topic: Just how much are you drinking?  (Read 2106 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Just how much are you drinking?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:50 PM »
Been there, seen that.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »
Haven't touched the stuff since about '02 or '03. I was never a big fan of it, anyhow.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
I'm actually cutting back as an experiment. My theory was that I drink every evening; what if the alcohol is making me feel terrible, how would I ever know it? So I implemented a detox and after not drinking for a couple weeks, I had one, that is, a single beer one night this week, and I could actually tell that I felt worse when I woke up the next day, and I noticed before I made the connection that I had had a beer the night before. So I think my theory was actually true, and drinking every day does make me feel worse, but you just get used to it when you drink all the time. It's sort of poison, after all. Now I need to decide what to do with the data, because I really like beer. I'm thinking maybe just drinking on the weekends.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:05:42 AM »
Saw where it was going with some friends and where it had gone with Wife2. Had to commit her to rehab.  To no avail.

I quit in '93, took me a full year to really feel clear in the head again.  Decided that was a re-learning of thinking processes I had habituated to, rather than having an actual chemical cause.

May be wrong, may be both, but in either case, I sure sharpened up.  But it took a year.

It took about six months before I could drive by a liquor store without automatically thinking if I had enough to last through the next day.

Say hello to Bill.

Terry

REF:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Friend%20of%20Bill%20W.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:05:46 AM »
Cutting back here, but more out of an attempt at weight loss.  Amazing how many calories are in beer.  Carbs and protein each are 4 calories per gram.  Fat is 9.  Alcohol, surprisingly is 7 calories per gram.  1 ounce of whiskey is therefore over 70 calories.  Without any mixers or sugars added.

Never was much of one to have more than a couple on an average night anyway.  Once in a while I might have a bit more than would be safe for driving, but that was with friends, not alone, and with plans around not needing to drive.  And even then it was well short of what a real alcoholic would even refer to as a warm up for the evening, let alone a good start.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
I average about 3-4 glasses of wine a week or about 2 bottles between the wife and I. Always just before or with dinner. In hot weather we sometimes have 1 gin and tonic after working in the yard and a shower. I can go days without and not miss it.
No beer. I can have a half glass of wine and be done with alcohol for the day but beer has some kind of trigger for me. 1 tastes good, 2 taste better and I can keep right on going. I drank enough beer in my life to float a loaded barge. I didn't have an alcohol problem- I had a beer problem. Once I quit beer, life got a lot better.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »
I might go a couple days or more when I don't have any alcoholic drinks.  Other days I might sip neat around 3 fingers (in a proper sipping glass) of a good bourbon or scotch or rum or brandy in the late evening while reading.  I might string a late evening like that over 3 or 4 days.  It's sort of surprising how fast one goes through a fifth of booze if you do about 3 fingers over a 3 or 4 day period. 
When we go out to dinner I'll usually have 2 bourbon old fashioned's or perfect Rob Roy's over a 3 hour evening.  I don't usually drink beer, but if I do it's when we are out for dinner and I'll have 1 tall 20 oz draft beer of some sort.  Oberon in the spring and summer and maybe Labatt's or Molson the rest of the year.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
I might go a couple days or more when I don't have any alcoholic drinks.  Other days I might sip neat around 3 fingers (in a proper sipping glass) of a good bourbon or scotch or rum or brandy in the late evening while reading.  I might string a late evening like that over 3 or 4 days.  It's sort of surprising how fast one goes through a fifth of booze if you do about 3 fingers over a 3 or 4 day period. 
When we go out to dinner I'll usually have 2 bourbon old fashioned's or perfect Rob Roy's over a 3 hour evening.  I don't usually drink beer, but if I do it's when we are out for dinner and I'll have 1 tall 20 oz draft beer of some sort.  Oberon in the spring and summer and maybe Labatt's or Molson the rest of the year.

While I was working, I would usually sip a nightly finger of whiskey while I did my pre-bedtime 30-60min of reading. Beer was for the weekend, and generally just a couple. Even at work happy hours, I rarely had more than a couple of anything.

When I retired, I went on a big beer kick and was having a beer or two a day. On the weekend, I threw in a couple or three fingers of whiskey for afternoon hammock time. About a half year ago,  I realized that in spite of actually exercising more since retirement,  I was actually gaining weight. I'm now down to 2-3 beers a week, and just doing 2-3 fingers of whiskey on Sunday afternoons with few exceptions. I've completely quit the nightcap, and usually have a cup of red bush tea to go with my pre-bedtime reading.

On vacations of course, this all gets thrown out the window. I have a friend in Hawaii who drinks a 12 pack of Bud a day. Last time I was out there, we were on his boat fishing and he kept shoving beers in my hand, so what could I do?  :laugh:  I drank almost as much as him, but surprisingly never felt drunk or hungover. At home, after two beers I start not to feel as well as 1-2 beers. Same with whiskey. A couple of glasses make me happy, but more than that and I start to get a headache and don't sleep well at night.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »
I'm clearly not drinking enough...

:P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 04:13:41 AM »
I'm clearly not drinking enough...

:P :P :P

I'm not either but not by choice.  Only supposed to drink on Friday and Saturday nights and only two per night, some nights we get a third and once in awhile we might get an extra day.  BDE policy where the theater policy is no more than two in a 24 hour period.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
After the way this week has gone, it's clear that I am not drinking nearly enough.  And I can't drink when I am on call, which I am Wednesday through Saturday nights.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
Saw where it was going with some friends and where it had gone with Wife2. Had to commit her to rehab.  To no avail.

I quit in '93, took me a full year to really feel clear in the head again.  Decided that was a re-learning of thinking processes I had habituated to, rather than having an actual chemical cause.

May be wrong, may be both, but in either case, I sure sharpened up.  But it took a year.

It took about six months before I could drive by a liquor store without automatically thinking if I had enough to last through the next day.

Say hello to Bill.

Terry

REF:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Friend%20of%20Bill%20W.

My brother used to drink regularly, but hit a point where he realized even drinking on the weekend was dragging him down during the week on Monday as well.  I think he pretty much doesn't drink now aside from special occasions.  

If I go through a 12 pack in a month I am drinking a lot.  I never have drunk alcohol at home much. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »

I drink on average, maybe six beers per month. Usually two at a time, so one every other week. Ish.

OTOH, I make 18 gallons of wine at a time. Never drink it. Honestly, I prefer iced tea.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
I drink slightly more often than fistful.  Had a couple glasses of wine in '09 when we went to Italy.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »
For the last few years, I had to make two drinks a day my limit.  However, in the last year, I've found that any alcohol within four or five hours of bedtime disrupts my sleep.  So while I still average two drinks a day, I have them with dinner and don't touch the stuff after that.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
For the last few years, I had to make two drinks a day my limit.  However, in the last year, I've found that any alcohol within four or five hours of bedtime disrupts my sleep.  So while I still average two drinks a day, I have them with dinner and don't touch the stuff after that.

Welcome to getting old.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
One more week, and i'll be home, then i'll get my binge drinking on like it's cool.

Normally I drink what I call "moderately heavy". 6 pack of home brew or so a week, plus some whiskey.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
I drink when, i feel like it. With that said, I know Active duty Army, had major effect on my drinking.