Author Topic: Security cameras  (Read 3660 times)

zahc

• friend
Security cameras
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
After some acts vandalism, I want to wire my house with cameras to help with identifying any perpetrators that may break in or vandalize my house, and I want to be able to tell what they took. So maybe a half-dozen cameras indoors and out, recording video in a loop, would get the job done.

I'm not so much interested in real-time viewing as I am after-the-fact investigation, although a split screen monitor in my bedroom might be pretty cool.

My first instinct would be to have the video streamed to a webserver or "the cloud". That way someone that breaks in while you are gone can't just steal or smash your video server hard drive. But if people can tap into your video, they can just as easily use it to case your place, or you might end up naked on Youtube. So storing it or even transmitting the video data off-site gives me the willys. I know you can encypt data, but I'm afraid I would screw it up.

Another option is syncing the video data, possibly encrypted, to a hardened, headless server hidden somewhere on-site, which can be administered by ssh. This seems like a decent idea if you have a good hiding place, but it brings me to the second problem...

I don't know anything about security camera hardware, and I understand that the technology available is improving all the time. Do security cameras send out actual composite video data with an RCA plug? In that case, you would need a many-headed video capture card, and cable lengths would be a problem. Ethernet? Running CAT5 can get expensive. Some proprietary wireless protocol with a dongle? Seems fairly insecure. Wifi? Same. No matter what, I want to avoid lock-in and proprietary software.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Security cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »
Pre-made security system DVR's are all over the place now.

I'm not sure which are the best, however other than running the wiring, all the work is done for you. And they can even be monitored by smartphone. And they're like $200-400 for a rig with a 500Mb DVR/switching unit, and 4-8 cameras.

This for instance is crazy-cheap. However, I just put it out there as an example of how far they've come in price.

I don't actually recommend that unit, or trust it or anything. And all the specifications, like H.264 which has something to do with resolutions or frame rates or whatever... you'll have to read up on what it all means.

If you want to actually ID someone, you need as much resolution as possible.
I promise not to duck.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
H.264 is a video encoding spec. Supposed to be good quality to size ratio I believe.
Look, tiny text!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
H.264 is a video encoding spec. Supposed to be good quality to size ratio I believe.

Yeah, I just don't know which ones are the "good numbers" etc. 

But I imagine that a little research, a camera/DVR system probably exists for $500 or less that will do 90% of what Zach wants, and can be set up for the rest, like offsite cloud storage. If it can be reached by a cellphone, I can't imagine the rest would be impossible.

Of course, you can also just secure/hide the DVR well too.
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
Zahc,

Have you looked here? http://www.smarthome.com/_/index.aspx

They offer lots of systems. I've bought several things there and I trust their service.

I was going to link you to AVSforum, but I see you found it.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research on this topic as well.
Here is my game plan.
All external cameras with the exception of the back yard one will be wireless for ease of installation.
I don't care if someone hacks a view they can see without the camera.
I certainly don't want an internal camera accidently being hacked or stumbled upon.  So wired is the only way to go inside.
All internal will be CAT5 wired cameras.  I have not set on any particular brands.  Just that they will use CAT5 to provide power,data and audio feeds.  
I determined that was the least expensive wiring available, as it provides the camera all three needs on one cable that is very cheap if bought in bulk. $80/1000ft give or take.

I have a handy free app for my phone that will monitor multiple camera feeds.  
IP cameras are very easy to set up and can be accessed from a smartphone or a browser.

In a pinch if you have a cheap webcam either on a computer or a laptop one, you can set up a real quick security cam.
I used these
http://www.yawcam.com/
http://tinyurl.com/3onab7f
That android app is pretty slick because you can view traffic cams and college cams from all over the world on it.

Your budget has alot to do with what will be practical for you.  I've found 4camera and dvr combo kits on newegg for under $200 just add a harddrive.

Hope this helped a bit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:40:07 PM by InfidelSerf »
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research on this topic as well.
Here is my game plan.
All external cameras with the exception of the back yard one will be wireless for ease of installation.
I don't care if someone hacks a view they can see without the camera.
I certainly don't want an internal camera accidently being hacked or stumbled upon.  So wired is the only way to go inside.
All internal will be CAT5 wired cameras.  I have not set on any particular brands.  Just that they will use CAT5 to provide power,data and audio feeds.  
I determined that was the least expensive wiring available, as it provides the camera all three needs on one cable that is very cheap if bought in bulk. $80/1000ft give or take.

I have a handy free app for my phone that will monitor multiple camera feeds.  
IP cameras are very easy to set up and can be accessed from a smartphone or a browser.

In a pinch if you have a cheap webcam either on a computer or a laptop one, you can set up a real quick security cam.
I used these
http://www.yawcam.com/
http://tinyurl.com/3onab7f
That android app is pretty slick because you can view traffic cams and college cams from all over the world on it.

Your budget has alot to do with what will be practical for you.  I've found 4camera and dvr combo kits on newegg for under $200 just add a harddrive.

Hope this helped a bit.

What is the current state of Power over Cat5?  Last I heard of it, it was merely an idea.  Do you have to get special routers that are made to supply the power?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
I'm not aware of any need for a special router.
Smart home has a couple dozen power over ethernet cams.
The primary factor is the cost.   So I will probably limit the number of power over ethernet cams to only those I am unable to get power to easily.

*edited to add*   Decent article on PoE
http://www.axis.com/products/video/about_networkvideo/poe.htm

Looks like either a splitter or a midspan is needed for anything requiring more than 12W
Splitters appear to run about $30/unit  midspans are $400-800 and up depending on the number of ports
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:44:54 PM by InfidelSerf »
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »
What is the current state of Power over Cat5?  Last I heard of it, it was merely an idea.  Do you have to get special routers that are made to supply the power?

I don't think it's a good idea to run Power over Ethernet (PoE) through a switch or router. You just put a PoE injector on the last leg of the feed as it heads out to the remote device.  I don't have much experience with them but I first touched one back in 2003 and last used one a week ago.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
PoE (IEEE 802.3af) is now pretty common place, in fact there is a newer standard PoE+ (IEEE 802.3at) that sends up to 25.5W of power compared to PoE at max of 15.4W.  I understand that the big driver of the PoE+ is security cameras, manufacturers are shedding the analog cameras as fast as they can.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
I don't think it's a good idea to run Power over Ethernet (PoE) through a switch or router.

Nope....good way to fry the switch or router.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth