Author Topic: Racism in Boulder  (Read 3654 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Racism in Boulder
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:43:48 AM »
Yeah, this'll work real swell:

--------------------------
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/opinion/columnists/vassilaros/s_456291.html

Dial 'S'... for 'stupid'

By Dimitri Vassilaros
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 2, 2006

Get ready to dial "H" for hate.

Boulder, the politically correct Colorado hometown of "Mork & Mindy" and JonBenet Ramsey, has provided seed money for a telephone line for anyone who wants to make anonymous accusations of racism.

The anti-bias hot line supposedly will help determine how widespread racism is and, of course, how much money the government should spend for touchy-feely programs and "community dialogues" to once again make Boulder a more friendly environment, according to Carmen Atilano, staff liaison of the city's Human Rights Commission, in published reports.

The supposed justification for the snitch service for racism is that "people feel it's on the rise," Ms. Atilano says.

If that's all it takes for Boulder City Council to part with $16,000 -- and its senses -- it's a wonder no one has asked for seed money to start a stupidity hot line since people surely must feel that's on the rise, too.

And speaking of stupid, the identity of the caller and the accused will be anonymous. It will be something like "person one complained about person two," says Judd Golden, chairman of the Boulder County chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Mr. Golden said that while hot lines about crimes and other issues are not uncommon, this is the first time to his knowledge that the government is involved. "To what extent will government be involved in accessing uncorroborated allegations?" asks Golden.

He also is rightly concerned about another issue. The hot line could have a chilling effect on free speech that might be offensive or controversial but not unlawful. "Did ya hear the one about the priest, minister, rabbi and ayatollah ... ?"

Oops, never mind.

The anti-bias hot line will be up and running as soon as enough money for full operation is raised by the three nonprofit organizations that have been pushing for it and will be in charge of it.

And when that happens, don't be surprised to see anti-bias hot lines popping up faster than Starbucks Coffee stores across America as politically savvy nonprofit organizations dare their local politicians to turn down a request for seed money to fight supposed racism.

How long did it take for essentially useless human rights commissions to sprout like weeds nationwide? "Useless" as in try to name one -- just one -- accomplishment of your local human rights commission.

Why is it so difficult for people with an ounce of common sense to laugh at leftists? Why didn't the city council members unanimously laugh at the very notion of the telephone line? Why not call 911, a city councilman or the local municipality if someone thinks he might be a victim of whatever?

Since there will not be a system to determine if members of organizations wanting money to fight racism are calling repeatedly, it is not difficult to predict that calls to the hot line will indicate that Boulder is little better than Birmingham before the civil rights movement.

How can anyone, including the three organizations pushing for it, take this hot line thing seriously?

Memo to Boulder: The emperor has no clothes. Don't give leftist groups a free pass to call a community racist, because if you do, they have everything to gain with their self-fulfilling prophecy. It's OK to laugh.

So there was a priest, minister, rabbi and ...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:49:17 AM »
I'm moving to Boulder!

I suspect that the line will burn out in about 3 days when I start telling some of the jokes I've amassed over the years...

Of course we could all start calling it 5 times a day. "What, you mean this isn't a national number? Well, you're the first in the nation, so you get the honor of being the nation's clearing house..."

Pity it's not a toll-free number...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:33:38 AM »
"If that's all it takes for Boulder City Council to part with $16,000 -- and its senses -- it's a wonder no one has asked for seed money to start a stupidity hot line since people surely must feel that's on the rise, too."

Funniest thing I've read today. Frikkin morons.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

mtnbkr

• friend
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 05:39:15 AM »
Some cellphone plans offer free long distance and free calls after 9pm weekday and all day on weekends.  Maybe those folks can make calls. Smiley

Chris

grampster

• friend
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 05:41:04 AM »
I'm surprised by the article.  When does the lefty lynch mob arrive for Dimitri's head.
That was one great story calling a spade a spade.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 06:30:54 AM »
So people can call in about people like Jesse Jackson, Kayne West and Al Sharpton who make racism comments against the whites?

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »
When does the lefty lynch mob arrive for Dimitri's head.
We DO NOT lynch people here in Boulder.  Dimitri will be giving giving a sound tongue lashing, have fingers shaken at him, then be told to stand in a corner and think about what he did.

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that you people could even begin to doubt the wisdom of Boulder's Human Rights Commission!  These people have been educated in the finest institutions by the finest minds on the planet.  Perhaps even by that intellectual and creative giant Ward Churchill (Professor of Ethnic Studies at CU).  You're all just a bunch of little Eichmanns who need to be re-educated!

The glorious People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado, three square miles surrounded by reality. 2nd in the nation for marijuana consumption.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Desertdog

• friends
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 09:09:15 AM »
If it is a toll free number, use a  PAY PHONE to make the calls.  It will cost an extra $0.35 per call and you don't leave your number on their billing records.

Report about all racial slurs, especially the ones by the minorities.

crt360

• friend
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 12:15:25 PM »
That's got to be a joke . . . right?  Boulder has its own Human Rights Commission?  Have they had a dramatic spike in lynchings, slavery, kidnapping, torture, illegal arrests, assaults and other discriminatory or barbarous acts condoned by the local government?

Racism?  If Boulder got any whiter you could see it from outer space.

Someone needs to rest the bong for a few days and take a fresh look at this.
For entertainment purposes only.

Racism in Boulder
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
i can't wait til we get the number....

mfree

• friend
Racism in Boulder
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 05:42:30 PM »
800's are national, right?

auvrbiieji

Racism in Boulder
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
Hey,
I read this post,Its really very informative post..I live in Boulder but i don't have any idea about this post but after reading this post i have some idea about this post....
Thanks in advance..
I am a stupid sig line spammer.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Racism in Boulder
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »
Hey,
I read this post,Its really very informative post..I live in Boulder but i don't have any idea about this post but after reading this post i have some idea about this post....
Thanks in advance..

bot?

I read his post and it is not really a very informative post..I don't see how living in Boulder has anything to do with a 7 year old thread making fun of a racebaiting hotline and calling the thread here informative...

Thread necromancy it its stoopidest?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
bot?

I read his post and it is not really a very informative post..I don't see how living in Boulder has anything to do with a 7 year old thread making fun of a racebaiting hotline and calling the thread here informative...

Thread necromancy it its stoopidest?

Notice the tagline?  Totally a linkspamming bot.

That business probably paid one of those "We will get you to the top of google" services.
Someone should contact that company and let it be known that their money is going to spamming forum links
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:29:34 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »
Anyone call the line to see if it is still active?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
Hey,
Thanks in advance..

Calling him a bot is racist!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:15 AM »
Bots have feelings too, you know.  Feelings that can be hurt and should be reported to some sort of hotline.  Oh, if only there was such a service...

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Do they accept collect calls?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »

Why does every picture involving flaming hammers and badazz beards has to have a dwarf in it?

Racist!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 10:30:06 AM »
Why does every picture involving flaming hammers and badazz beards has to have a dwarf in it?
The proper term is vertically challenged.

Heightist!

In regard to the OP . . . I predict the majority of reported incidents will arise from overheard conversations between people of color who, today, are the most frequent users of what has come to be referred to as "The N Word."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
Reporting on a recent business trip to Denver, a buddy related that he was accused of racism while standing in line at a convenience store.

His transgression? Responding to "How's it goin'?" with "Alright, I guess." At which point the local accused him of a racist attitude.  ;/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »
Of course we could all start calling it 5 times a day. "What, you mean this isn't a national number? Well, you're the first in the nation, so you get the honor of being the nation's clearing house..."

Pity it's not a toll-free number...

Who cares? Who doesn't have nation-wide toll-free calling these days?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
800's are national, right?

Not all. Some operate only in one state or one area code.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
Who cares? Who doesn't have nation-wide toll-free calling these days?

These days, yes, but seven years ago when that post was made...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought