Author Topic: Watch guys or gals?  (Read 3655 times)

Lee

• friend
Watch guys or gals?
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:02:10 AM »
I've been buying watches like a madman over the past few months. Trying to decide if its just a new passion, or if I'm having a mental breakdown ;). I've slowed down on the buying part...just enjoying them now.
I remember there used to be quite a few watch guys on THR...and a lot of the watch guys I've met are gun guys.
How about here and now...who's into time pieces...and what do you like?

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Watch guys or gals?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:10:29 AM »
I do like watches/time pieces =D. Haven't gotten into buying them obsessively yet though. I do have a Fossil that the battery died so I out it somewhere until I took the time to get the battery changed, and now I'm not sure where I put it.
Anything interesting?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
I guess it's sort of a passing passion, borne of a love of things mechanical.  I used to fix watches, was very interested in horology, and seem to have passed this on to my sons --one of whom who has a watch lathe, makes his own balance staffs, has an electronic regulator, etc.

The other son has a bit of a collection, including a working Bulova Accutron.  He also has a sawtooth pendulum clock, where the weight of the clock itself slowly "falling" along a vertical ratchet powers the pendulum.  Balance-wheel sawtooth clocks are more common than the pendulum type.

When electronic watches came out (I was one of the first to buy the Texas Instruments LED one) I kind of saw the writing on the wall and started to lose interest in the purely mechanical ones.

Nevertheless, I usually ended up with all kinds of fascinating e-watches, such as one of the first Casio calculator watches, an "atomic" watch (resets time automatically from the WWV 60 KHz time signals), and a Timex Data Link watch with which you could do data transfer (shopping lists, reminders, anniversaries, etc) from your computer's CRT monitor.  It even had a little "eye" on the front which could "see" the monitor's output.  (This one became obsolete with the transition to LCD monitors, which the watch could not interpret.)

The "eye" is at the top of the watch face:

Nowadays, the simpler and bigger the dial face and numerals are, the better.  So I have a Humvee watch which eminently suits my needs and present interests.

No need for half a dozen arcane dials, stopwatch capabilities, depth ratings to 973.5 fathoms, heart rate, or anything much more than the time.

Hells bells, I don't even bother setting the day and date anymore since I retired.  Right now it reads "SUN23."  Well, the day of the week is correct.  Big deal.

And yet, I still remember setting my watches to the exact second from the WWV signals, and if that second hand didn't tick over at the exact time of the beep, I'd do it all over again until it was "right."

Terry, 230RN

REF:
http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvh.htm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:30:14 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/DayClocks-Classic-Oak-Day-Clock/dp/B0019F9ITE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404655203&sr=8-1&keywords=day+of+week+clock

Pretty much what I need for "timekeeping" these days.  If the sun is up I probably should either get up or finally go to sleep.  If it's dark outside I probanly should either go to sleep or get up.  Circadian rhythym of 4-6 hours of sleep and 18 hours of activeness of varying degrees (I am not napping, I'm resting the insides of my eyelids!) means about twice a month i'm in step with the rest of the world, almost.

I do wear an actual wristwatch so I can see if it's time to turn on the radio or TV, or to leave the house for an appointment.

Back when I was imitating a mole by living in a bunker it helped to have one of those 24-hour clocks, if only to remember when it was time to wake up the relief.  (Great rule that was: watchstanders could not be assigned additional duties in the watch period immediately after coming off or going on watch, so we ran 12 & 12 shifts.  =D  Actual combat [derogatory racial epithet deleted] in the wire always had prescedence.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
I still love watches.  I'm slowly swapping out the collection of craptastic watches I got in my early 20's with nicer ones.

I have a couple Luminox, a Seiko, a Citizen, there's a Fossil in there somewhere, and some Timex.  I recently picked up a Samsung smartwatch, because it plays well with my phone and tablet.

I prefer analog, mechanical, and large.  But still use a digital for running.

One day, I'm hoping to have the disposable cash for a Doxa

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »
I just found out that they made a scientific calculator watch. I think I need one. Always wanted an accutron too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »
I just found out that they made a scientific calculator watch. I think I need one.

Only if it's RPN.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Only if it's RPN.

YES.  I love my HP graphing calc.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
I can't count the number of watches I had over the years. A Hamilton Pulsar, the first digital with LED display. That was pretty spendy in 1973 as an E4, close to 400 dollars IIRC. I still have it, want to restore it. A Seiko from the early 70s that needs some work. A couple of Lolexes (counterfeit Thai Rolex). A complete set of Burger King Jurassic Park watches, NIB. Others I have had and lost or thrown away. I had one many years ago with the radioactive symbol on the case, the whole dial would glow, really nice for nights when the cockpit was pitch black because I had the instrument lights barely on.

Now days, I just look at my phone or a clock on the wall. I have a couple of Swiss Army watches I wear for work and that is it.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »
I watch gals.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
I guess it's sort of a passing passion, borne of a love of things mechanical.  I used to fix watches, was very interested in horology, and seem to have passed this on to my sons --one of whom who has a watch lathe, makes his own balance staffs, has an electronic regulator, etc.

Nowadays, the simpler and bigger the dial face and numerals are, the better.  So I have a Humvee watch which eminently suits my needs and present interests.

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/181142m25_ts.jpg

No need for half a dozen arcane dials, stopwatch capabilities, depth ratings to 973.5 fathoms, heart rate, or anything much more than the time.

That, is a perfect watch.   Assuming the body is stainless, to resist my corrosive sweat.

Hells bells, I don't even bother setting the day and date anymore since I retired.  Right now it reads "SUN23."  Well, the day of the week is correct.  Big deal.

That would annoy me, though, until I got it right.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
Count me in.  Big watch guy.  Own more than I should, but they make me happy,  like my guns.  Three favorites...the blue faced Seiko my father gave me for law school graduation, the Tissot Ballade I bought with money from my mother's estate, and an Elgin from my grandfather when I got commissioned in the Army.  Got a fake Rolex that people love to comment on, too.  Need a new band on the Elgin, but can't decide if I want a stainless bracelet or leather.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
I've found some interesting stuff on Craigslist locally. Some old Hamilton,  Omega, Bulova self- winder, Movado, Krieger, Poljot, etc, etc. I bought several from one collector,  and we've become buds as well. HE through in an old Elgin pocket watch from 1898. I'm having that serviced right now...its a beauty.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:21 AM »
Since you watch-kin are here anyway:

Where does one get a decent leather band for a watch? Nothing expensive, just something you would use with a ~$40 Timex.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »
Always wanted an accutron too.

My son says the tuning-fork hum from the Bulova Accutron can be distracting if you let it.  But he always wore ear protection when shooting, and I only did for half my shooting life.

The tuning fork had an itty-bitty teeny-tiny jeweled pawl on it which would engage a round ratchet wheel and push it around.

You can still buy them rebuilt on various places around the net.  And of course, half the fascination with watches is how the hell they got everything so small.

More on the original (non-USB) Timex DataLink watch:

http://techland.time.com/2010/07/08/great-moments-in-geek-history-the-timex-datalink-watch/

I never could figure out (on my own) exactly how that screen thing worked --it went by too fast.  I suspect the watch would take the top and bottom lines and synchronize itself with the screen refresh rate, then start picking out the data from the lines in between as they flashed on and off and changed in length.  Sometimes the number of lines between the top and bottom lines would change.  I figured they were probably start and stop bits or something.  Instantaneously, they looked like the UBC "bar codes" turned sideways.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:56:48 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
Fistful - do you have Kohls stores? They carry a decent selection of Timex straps and bands.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 07:26:22 AM »
Fistful - do you have Kohls stores? They carry a decent selection of Timex straps and bands.

Yes, thanks.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »
Since you watch-kin are here anyway:

Where does one get a decent leather band for a watch? Nothing expensive, just something you would use with a ~$40 Timex.

Here ya go.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
My personal recommendation for a non-dress utility watch band is a "NATO Zulu Strap" made by Maratac or one of the other NSN/CAGE/GSA vendors.  Black and subdued, it doesn't look bad with a polo-shirt and khakis work environment.

They come in sizes that fit most watches, and can slide under the spring, and can be washed to rid yourself of "wristband funk".

http://www.countycomm.com/zulutwobuckle.html

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:41:53 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
I've been known to buy a $2 watch just for the band, and throw the watch away.

My Timex Expedition needs a new band *and* a new battery.  Might be time to replace the watch :( —this battery didn't last very long (CR2016 lithium so it should last a long time)
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »
I just found out that they made a scientific calculator watch. I think I need one. Always wanted an accutron too.

Why not just modernize the wrist-sundial idea?  http://www.itechnews.net/2010/10/19/tune-belt-sport-armband-for-large-screen-smartphones/

Set to landscape mode and get the right apps.  Then you've got a caller-ID watch with MP3, Facebook and video capability.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
Why not just modernize the wrist-sundial idea?  http://www.itechnews.net/2010/10/19/tune-belt-sport-armband-for-large-screen-smartphones/

Set to landscape mode and get the right apps.  Then you've got a caller-ID watch with MP3, Facebook and video capability.

Smart watches are a little smaller

I actually have the Gear Fit.  Gives me text messeges, Facebook alerts, caller ID, Run info (dist, speed, time) controls my music, and a bunch of other stuff I don't use.  Looks like an Analog watch in the meantime.  I don't use it for everyday wear, but when I have to go to business wear it works very well.  Also great for working out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:42:14 PM by dogmush »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »
Smart watches are a little smaller

Good luck getting the HP48 app to be usable on that little postage stamp.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
Next question:

My Timex has a big scratch on the crystal. Can that be fixed cost-effectively, or should I just junk the scratched watch with the worn-out band, and start over?