Author Topic: Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?  (Read 3653 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Never goes smooth. How come it never goes smooth?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »
If it was perforated, you would have seen the perforations all around the pipe.

Older stuff,  maybe.  Modern perf is only the bottom 3rd.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 11:36:41 PM »
Older stuff,  maybe.  Modern perf is only the bottom 3rd.

Ag field tile is perforated all around.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/009218-advanced-drainage-systems-100-heavy-duty-slotted-tubing.html

Non perforated will be run the last 50-100' into the riparian areas because of tree roots.

For residential: around here new tile around houses for drainage is encased in landscape fabric to keep the tile from silting up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
Ah.  That's corrugated field use stuff.  Can't tell you how many miles of that crap I've dug out of people's yards that's been choked to death by roots.  I think the OP was looking for something residential.   We use 3034 sticks bedded in #57 limestone here,  with a similar transition to solid like you mentioned.

http://www.northamericanpipe.com/products/plumbing---industrial/astm-d3034-solvent-weld-gravity-sewer

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
Ah.  That's corrugated field use stuff.  Can't tell you how many miles of that crap I've dug out of people's yards that's been choked to death by roots.  I think the OP was looking for something residential.   We use 3034 sticks bedded in #57 limestone here,  with a similar transition to solid like you mentioned.

http://www.northamericanpipe.com/products/plumbing---industrial/astm-d3034-solvent-weld-gravity-sewer

I see pipe like that laid near the footings before a basement floor is poured.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
I see pipe like that laid near the footings before a basement floor is poured.

Yep.  Good footer tile.   

I recommend using the heavier stuff.  Most of my drainage work involves digging out the cheap lightweight sticks that have collapsed (usually 20-30 year old pipe),  or the black perf/roll kind that's been squished flat or full of roots. 

Replace it once with 3034,  and you never have to dig your yard up again.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
MYSTERY SOLVED!

So I had a foot or so of the pipe exposed, and decided to stick a level on it, to see which way it was running.   Uphill towards the corner of the foundation.   SWMBO and I were sitting there puzzling over it, and remembered that when we bought the place, there was a missing downspout that would have been at that corner....   So I dug up the rest of the way towards that corner, and voila!  Transitioned from 4" ABS to some old, concrete pipe.   Easily 3/4" thick walls, no metal in it...    That made a 90 degree bend up right where the downspout would have been.   Dug back a little ways the other direction past my new trench, cut off the pipe, put a cap on it, and tomorrow I lay down my 3" ABS with the grate that the downspout will drain into and directs it to a downhill slope on the other side  of the "RV Pad"....  The end of the pipe will be sitting in and surrounded by several inches of river rock, as will the spill out area on the slope.   I'll lay it on some 1/2" minus gravel that I had left over from another project, then top it with more of the same, tamp the hell out of it, and top the last couple three inches with soil I dug up....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »
So what you're saying is the drain was plain and meant for only rain?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 09:43:24 PM »
So what you're saying is the drain was plain and meant for only rain?

Brad

....GROAN......................
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 12:35:58 AM »
Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress. Try the veal....

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB