Author Topic: Defensive Gun Use - NPR Strikes Again  (Read 1179 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Defensive Gun Use - NPR Strikes Again
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »
0.9% of gun owners have used a gun for self-defense.  ;/

Same old trope about how the gun is much more available for misuse. Also, as they dis Kleck, they invalidate their own argument at the same time. Their premise seems to be that you're only defending yourself if you pull the trigger. Bearing a weapon, and stopping something before it starts, is not counted in their research from what I can see.

They also mention "unreliable survey information". Duh. In today's climate, were I accosted on the street (versus my home) and able to stop an attack by simply drawing my gun but not firing, I'd be inclined to reholster after the bad guy fled and not report anything. Draw. Reholster. Shutup. YMMV depending on the part of the country you live in.

Oh, also - thanks "Mike the Gun Guy" (unless you were taken out of context):

Even if someone wanted to use a gun in self-defense, they probably wouldn't be very successful, says Mike Weisser, firearms instructor and author of the blog "Mike The Gun Guy."

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Defensive Gun Use - NPR Strikes Again
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
0.9% of gun owners have used a gun for self-defense.  ;/

Same old trope about how the gun is much more available for misuse. Also, as they dis Kleck, they invalidate their own argument at the same time. Their premise seems to be that you're only defending yourself if you pull the trigger. Bearing a weapon, and stopping something before it starts, is not counted in their research from what I can see.

They also mention "unreliable survey information". Duh. In today's climate, were I accosted on the street (versus my home) and able to stop an attack by simply drawing my gun but not firing, I'd be inclined to reholster after the bad guy fled and not report anything. Draw. Reholster. Shutup. YMMV depending on the part of the country you live in.

Oh, also - thanks "Mike the Gun Guy" (unless you were taken out of context):

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense

Mike Duh Gun Guy appears to write for HuffPo.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
When talking about the defensive gun use number from 1995, they talk a lot about unreliable data and surveys, but they don't say that when it comes to the Harvard research, no do they mention the numbers at all.  And the Harvard research is based on a survey rather than FBI crime statistics.  

They also can't seem to grasp that most defensive gun uses don't involve someone getting shot or even a discharge of the weapon.  They complain that there weren't 2.5 million gun shot wounds.  In the same article they talk about most people couldn't handle properly using a gun in self defense yet they assume that someone would be shot in EVERY SINGLE DGU. 

As usual, they are throwing a bunch of random anti-gun thought on the paper and hoping people won't dig further or realize how weak their argument is.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:46:02 PM »
Mike Duh Gun Guy appears to write for HuffPo.

He's been around for a while now. One of those "I own guns, but I'm not one of those crazy NRA types" types. I think he wrote a book, but I don't recall the name.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
. . .  In today's climate, were I accosted on the street (versus my home) and able to stop an attack by simply drawing my gun but not firing, I'd be inclined to reholster after the bad guy fled and not report anything. Draw. Reholster. Shutup. YMMV depending on the part of the country you live in . . .
In yesterday's climate as well . . . I know of several instances where a gun was drawn defensively - in one case, actually fired (she missed) - without any subsequent police report or involvement.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:42 PM »
"As usual, they are throwing a bunch of random anti-gun thought on the paper and hoping people won't dig further or realize how weak their argument is."

Standard operating procedure.  Retractions to their nonsense will appear wayyyyy down in their web page or whatever.  Standard operating procedure.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
No one really has a decent estimate on how often guns are used defensively in the USA.  People lie on these surveys- a lot, and in both directions.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
No one really has a decent estimate on how often guns are used defensively in the USA.  People lie on these surveys- a lot, and in both directions.

Gary Kleck of the University of Florida and Professors Lott and Mustard of U. Of Chicago all did studies that provided very reasonable estimates of the use of firearms in self defense in America.  Usually expressed as approximations,  or within certain parameters or ranges,  they're pretty accurate overall even if not precise down to +or - 1.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »

He's been around for a while now. One of those "I own guns, but I'm not one of those crazy NRA types" types. I think he wrote a book, but I don't recall the name.

Sandy Hook: A man sold a gun.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »
Gary Kleck of the University of Florida and Professors Lott and Mustard of U. Of Chicago all did studies that provided very reasonable estimates of the use of firearms in self defense in America.  Usually expressed as approximations,  or within certain parameters or ranges,  they're pretty accurate overall even if not precise down to +or - 1.

You may be right.

I don't know how you would account for people lying about this sort of thing though.

Anyone know?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
You may be right.

I don't know how you would account for people lying about this sort of thing though.

Anyone know?
http://home.uchicago.edu/ludwigj/papers/JQC-CookLudwig-DefensiveGunUses-1998.pdf
This is one I saw a link for a while back.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/02/defensive-gun-ownership-gary-kleck-response-115082
This looks like it talks about the issue, but I haven't read much of it yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »
The studies I've heard about have DGUs occuring everywhere from a few hundred thousand to over 2 million times per year. I think the only thing we can be sure of is that they happen many times every day.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »
The studies I've heard about have DGUs occuring everywhere from a few hundred thousand to over 2 million times per year. I think the only thing we can be sure of is that they happen many times every day.
I think the anti-gunners came up with numbers in the several hundred thousand.  The CDC had their own study if I am not mistaken.

(edited because missing words can screw up the meaning.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:58:08 PM by MechAg94 »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:38 PM »
I think the anti-gunners came up with numbers in the several hundred thousand.  The CDC had their own study if I am not mistaken.

(edited because missing words can screw up the meaning.)

I think most hoplophobes only count incidents where someone used a gun where they ended up killing the badguy, I think you were correct the first time with them counting only several hundred, don't think I've ever seen them count several hundred thousand.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »
I don't think the CDC did their own study on DGUs. They just talked about studies that had already been done.