Author Topic: Tales of the Gold Monkey  (Read 2153 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tales of the Gold Monkey
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »
I've been searching for the show, "Tales of the Gold Monkey" for probably the last 3-4 years. I vaguely remembered watching it when it originally aired in '82, and that I thought I liked it, but had completely forgotten the name and any of the actors/characters in it. I half-assed had been searching for it all that time, when, because I had just started re-watching "Magnum PI", made a connection between a "Magnum PI" character who was also in "Tales of the Gold Monkey". A quick IMDB search found me the show name, and that it was available on Netflix.

I just finished watching it. It only lasted one season because it was up against the very popular crappy nighttime soaps of that period. It was a really fun show though. It (and a number of others) came out right after "Indiana Jones" was released. TOFGM was probably the best of the bunch. Kind of a cross between spy show and treasure hunting adventure show, and it takes place in 1938. The three main characters fly around the South Pacific in a Grumman Goose. The pilot, who is a former Flying Tiger, his drunk mechanic sidekick, and Jack the one-eyed dog, who pretty much steals every scene he's in. There's also a hot Japanese/Irish princess, the "good girl" US Intelligence Agent, the bumbling German spy, and a host of other great characters.

Anyway, highly recommended as fun entertainment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Tales of the Gold Monkey
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
I remember the show. Wasn't Stephen Collins the star?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
I remember the show. Wasn't Stephen Collins the star?

Brad

I believe you're correct.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »
so its firefly with a dog instead of Jayne?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
I remember that show...

The "princess" also played a few bit parts in Star Trek TNG.  Most notably, she was a walk-on for the episode where she played a planet's Devil/Sorceress figure whom some peaceful planet's theology/legends said they owed her complete control in exchange for a thousand years of peace and prosperity. And they held some sort of a trial, where Picard exposed her as a con-woman with a small ship, a cloaking device, and was scaring them using transporter and holodeck effects.

I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »
Wasn't there one episode when they were running out of fuel and had to resort to pouring wine(?) into the fuel tank to stay airborne?
1982?Geez!
jeff w

I like onions!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »
Wasn't there one episode when they were running out of fuel and had to resort to pouring wine(?) into the fuel tank to stay airborne?
1982?Geez!

One would hope they were pouring a hard liqueur like whiskey or vodka instead.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
1982?Geez!

180 proof rum. :)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
Ben, was it streaming or DVD.  I just looked form it on Netflix and it didn't return anything.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
Ben, was it streaming or DVD.  I just looked form it on Netflix and it didn't return anything.

Oh, sorry, they only had it in DVD. One of the reasons I'm still paying for both on Netflix - they seem to have very little older streaming content. My DVD queue is bigger than my streaming list right now.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »

If it is, then Jeff MacKay makes a crappy Kaylee.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
It was my favorite show at the time it was on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
Loved that show.
Have it on DVD.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
Sounds interesting. Will have to check it out.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
I always thought that the Rip Riley character in 'Heart of Archness' on Archer, was shamelessly stolen from TOTGM.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
Not a bad show . . . the German spy wasn't liked by the #1 henchman of the Japanese princess . . .

I remember one scene in which the German spy was bathing in a BIG pot or kettle when the American walked in; not wanting to be seen by the American, he ducked down so he was *almost* submerged.

The #1 henchman kept adding logs to the fire underneath while talking to the American.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:31 PM »
I loved that show.  I was looking for it on Hulu and Netflix not too long ago. I guess DVD is the way to go, though.

It had Stephen Collins and French from Black Sheep Squadron.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.