Author Topic: Fund question for those in the know.  (Read 844 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Fund question for those in the know.
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
 If you had to pick between VSEQX and VEIPX which would you chose right now and why?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Fund question for those in the know.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
Right now, I'd tend towards VEIPX.

It's more into stuff that people can't really do without.  - Staples, Energy, Health care, utilities.

At the moment, it's actually dropped a bit more than the other, so it's possibly a good buy.

If we go into a recession, I think it'll stay a bit better than the other, but if we actually have a bounce back to growth, it'll lag.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
Yup, that's why I can't make up my mind. lol...

Pisses me off though, both funds have gone below minimum and they want to close them. Like it's MY fault!  ;/

So I have to consolidate one into the other. Flipping a coin would probably be just as effective at deciding.  :laugh:

thanks!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:46:57 AM »
They want to close them?  I'm with vanguard and haven't heard anything, and my roth is in VGENX, and IS well below the minimum at the moment.

Then again, they might be keeping quiet due to the 'redemption fee' and the fact that I still maxed out '08s contributions, have a history of maxing out contributions, and if I max out 09's I'll be above the minimum again, all while it's the only fund I have for the roth.  Mind you, I also have a regular MF with them, and investments in the TSP.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:51:50 AM »
Yup, I just got the letter last couple days. I have till June 1st so I'm going to hang in there for the moment and see if they don't both come up above the minimum before then. All my IRAs are good, I  have just those two in non retirement funds and they both dipped below the line a few months back. I've done all maxes in the past but it doesn't look like I'll make it this year. I made more $ than I did in 07 but gas costs killed me in 08. No taxes will do the same shortly. Every year I hand my nest egg over to Uncle Sam to cover that 15.4% FICA savagery. It's disgusting.  =(