Author Topic: Judge orders people not to read book.  (Read 3563 times)

Warren

Judge orders people not to read book.
« on: July 12, 2005, 12:07:46 PM »
I would have told her to shove it. I mean what could she do?

Now It might have been worth it to get the autograph and the gift pack for waiting, but to be told by some gov-flunky I can't read my own book is disgusting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050712/ap_en_ot/harry_potter_early_sale

COQUITLAM, British Columbia - A handful of people in Canada got a sneak peak of the latest
Harry Potter book, but a British Columbia Supreme Court judge ordered them to keep it a secret.

The book was sold to 14 people who snagged a copy of J.K. Rowlings' much anticipated "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," when it landed on shelves last Thursday at a local grocery store.

The book, officially set for release this coming Saturday, has been shrouded in secrecy and its debut has been highly orchestrated to enable everyone  readers, reviewers, even publishers  to crack it open all at once. It's the sixth in Rowling's seven-book fantasy series on the young wizard.

But the store slipped up and sold 14 copies before realizing its mistake.

"It was an inadvertent error on behalf of one of our staff," said Geoff Wilson, a spokesman for the Real Canadian Superstore. He said the books were quickly removed.

Justice Kristi Gill last Saturday ordered customers not to talk about the book, copy it, sell it or even read it before it is officially released at 12:01 a.m. July 16.

The order also compels them to return the novel to the publisher, Raincoast Book Distribution Ltd., until the official release. At that time it will be returned to them.

As an added incentive, Raincoast will include Rowling's autograph and a gift pack.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »
So, they are going to ship it to the publisher, and get it back in 4 days?

I'd post a review online, myself.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:05:08 PM »
Now they got the "book police" in Canada?  Geez, I guess that book control is next.

Wayne

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 03:22:14 PM »
Geez, I guess that book control is next.
Er...  no.  This isn't a "don't read this because it's subversive" censorship kind of thing, it's a "don't read it because the copyright holder has not released the rights to sell it until Saturday" sort of thing.  I find it silly that the publisher would have the courts weigh in on this, but it's not a "book control" sort of event.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »
OK, it's silly that this is court-ordered, but all over the world, thousands of spoilsports are looking to get their hands on an early copy just so they can ruin it for everybody.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 03:06:42 AM »
Do you really think the publisher has the right to embargo a book's summary until the book is released?
Do you really think the publisher has the right to use the legal system to forbid people from reading a book?
The publisher has those powers as long as the publisher retains control over the book.  The publisher no longer has control over this book.

The store violated a contract.  The publisher can take legal action against the store.  The 14 buyers can not legitimately be coerced into doing anything to correct the store's mistake.

The argument that someone might spoil the book is equally inane.  Nobody has the right not to have a book's plot spoiled.  The book's text is copyrighted.  An original wording of the plot is not copyrighted.

If there's information someone doesn't want to know, the burden is on him to prevent his exposure to that information.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Strings

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 08:54:37 AM »
I remember something similar with Star Wars (don't remember which set though): Lucasfilms had peole out scouring the stores, looking for "pre-released" materials, as they were holding the release of merchandise 'till opening of the movie. And a couple stores lost access to Lucasfilm merchandise, from what I've heard...

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 02:11:36 PM »
+1 Azrael from an aspiring author

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 07:05:43 PM »
I find tyme's statement to be the most correct, at least from a legal standpoint.

The publisher has no claim against the individuals. If written correctly, their contract with the stores should specify what penalties if any their are for making the product available before the release date.

Hunter Rose, you are correct about Lucasfilms. Video game manufacturers have the same kind of release date restrictions and penalties on the hot game titles.

As for the lunacy of the Canadian court system, Jimmy Kimmel said it best. This is what happens to Canadians when you take away their hockey. Smiley

thevoicessaid

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 12:20:27 AM »
One low level judge makes a bad decision and some will use it to indict the entire Canadian judicial system, judges do this all the time. Higher courts reign them in, well at least some of the time.

How about that Virginia judge? She gave an Islamist teacher a life sentence for a hate speech he made to his students. That bother anyone here?

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 02:58:02 AM »
Quote from: thevoicessaid
One low level judge makes a bad decision and some will use it to indict the entire Canadian judicial system, judges do this all the time. Higher courts reign them in, well at least some of the time.
From the original news story:
COQUITLAM, British Columbia - A handful of people in Canada got a sneak peak of the latest
Harry Potter book, but a British Columbia Supreme Court judge ordered them to keep it a secret.
I wouldn't call the Supreme Court low level. But more to your point, no one here has made an indictment of the Canadian justice system as a whole. We have simply been commenting on this particular ruling.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 10:22:52 AM »
The store violated a contract.  The publisher can take legal action against the store.
Yes, if there was such a contract. IP laws are bogus. They are a blatant subsidy (welfare) for creative artists/publishers (special-interest groups).

P.S. I wonder if they have any way of knowing exactly who bought them. Maybe there is book registration.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 10:30:37 AM »
IP laws are bogus. They are a blatant subsidy (welfare) for creative artists/publishers (special-interest groups).
So, I suppose it is appropriate to just take someone elses work and do what we want with it?  Screw the guy that sang the song, I shouldn't have to pay to listen to it?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 11:33:25 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
IP laws are bogus. They are a blatant subsidy (welfare) for creative artists/publishers (special-interest groups).
So, I suppose it is appropriate to just take someone elses work and do what we want with it?  Screw the guy that sang the song, I shouldn't have to pay to listen to it?
I don't understand exactly what you are asking.

I'm saying granny shouldn't be forced to pay taxes to protect J.K. Rowlings' property. People should bear the full cost of protecting their own property.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 03:52:53 PM »
>>>>>people should bear the full cost of protecting their own property.<<<<<<

uh anyone else see a huge whole in that theory??

why do we have cops, jails,courts and armies again Huh?

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 10:28:49 PM »
Does anyone else worry that this book is going to be just AWFUL? I mean it seems like the publisher is doing everything in their power to keep anyone from knowing a dang thing about it untill a good day or two after they get their inevitably MASSIVE release day sales.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 02:50:59 PM »
Molon Libra, eh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin