Author Topic: Is my friend an alcoholic?  (Read 3017 times)

possenti

Is my friend an alcoholic?
« on: July 14, 2005, 01:47:56 PM »
I have a young friend that I'm worried about.  He's 22, and I think he might be an alcoholic - but at least a functional one (for now).  He's my daughter's godfather, and his father is mine.  My wife and I think of them like family and they're all good people, but I'm afraid they're overlooking a brewing (no pun) problem.  Here's the deal:

I've worked with him for the past 4 years, and I've seen a big change in him the last 2.  He's become more irritable toward his job, and the only time he's happy is when he's drinking.  He has no other interests besides drinking with others during his off hours.  No hobbies, no girls, nothing else.  My wife says he's a handsome kid, and he could have many dates, but he's not interested.  I find that most peculiar (and no, he's not gay).

He recently quit his job with me to work somewhere else.  His only aspiration is to become a LEO, but he's not willing to go to college or obtain other requirements to do so.  He once half-jokingly told me the biggest reason he wants to be a cop is so he can get out of speeding tickets and DUI's if he got any.  He's not much of a barfly, although he is spotted at the local watering hole sometimes.  He prefers to drink at parties, or just lay around the house and drink.

He's also confided in me that he takes a few beers to bed with him "to sleep better", but someone else told me that he tips a bottle of Jack he hides under his bed every night.  This is after he spends the whole evening drinking.  The fact that he hides it is strange too.  He still lives at home, and his parents know he drinks, so why hide it?  

He doesn't do drugs, but he also told me that he likes to take a Vicodan(sp?) before he drinks sometimes so he can "get a better beer buzz".  Once again, I lectured him, and he just laughed it off.  There's many other tell-tale signs I've seen, but these bother me most.  I know much of this makes him sound like a nasty drunk, but he is a super kid who would do anything in the world for anybody.   He's very socialable and loves to be around people - as long as there's booze.  He's held a job continually to pay his truck payments and other expenses. My daughter adores him, but he hasn't been around to see her in a while.

I don't think his dad detects a problem, and I even think that he might have contributed to it.  He's allowed his son to drink in his teen years as long as he did it at home.  He's a pretty devout Catholic, and doesn't encourage his son to date.  It seems like he just expects him to wait for the perfect Catholic virgin to walk into his son's life one day...  Personally, I'd be more worried about my son's drinking problem than about him "chasing tail".

My wife and I are worried about this kid, and haven't said anything to any family members yet.  We're not sure what the reaction would be, but it would probably be denial if anything.  Or should we mind our own business, and maybe it's just a "phase" for him that he'll grow out of?   Or maybe we're just being prudes, and we forgot what it was like to be his age?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 02:46:57 PM »
I drank a lot when I was 22, probably drunk at least 4-5 nights a week, but that was college and I have long since grown out of it. Even then I wasn't a total daily drinker on my days off I didn't drink at all. Never needed a beer to get to sleep either. I would be a little worried about your friend, see if he can go on a overnight activity with you and no hit the sauce.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »
YES!

He's got all the signs. Drinks alone, lies about it, needs booze to help him sleep, off work time revolves around drinking. The vicodan thing is especially troubling as it indicates an addictive type personality. He's probably a full blown alcoholic based on your description. If not he will be shortly without an intervention.

You aren't gonna convince him he's an alcoholic though and neither will anyone else. Only he can do that.

I grew up with an alcoholic mother, my brother is the same. My mother knew she was one but didn't care. Rehab, antabuse, rehab, rehab - nothing worked. She didn't want to change and died an alcoholic.  My brother cannot even admit his problem even though it landed him in prison for 11 years and now will shortly put him back there.

Alcoholism is a scourge. It is difficult to fix unless the person afflicted wants to fix it. IMO current rehab methods and especially AA are ineffective in the long run because they never address the underlying problem that causes folks to retreat into the bottle.

Alcoholism destroys families, friendships and lives.

Unless this guy is a very, very, very good friend and you are willing to suffer much emotional pain trying to get him to see his problem my advice would be to get out now. It's all down hill from here and he could very well drag you down with him.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

possenti

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:04:27 PM »
Quote from: charby
I would be a little worried about your friend, see if he can go on a overnight activity with you and no hit the sauce.

Charby
Wouldn't happen.  If drinking isn't involved, he won't have anything to do with it.  Since he wants to be a cop, the only thing I could offer him to help was martial arts training.  I tried talking him into practicing jiu-jitsu with me and being my sparring partner.  He just laughed and said, "it's hard to hold my drink if I do that."

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:42:58 PM »
Yep. It sure sounds like it.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 06:12:10 PM »
I would tend to agree with Werewolf.  Yes, he's an alcoholic.  No there isnt much you can do about it.  He wont admit it.  Sometimes the only thing you can do is be a good friend and wait for the other shoe to drop.  Frustrating but thats life.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

myrockfight

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »
I am sorry to say it, but I will have to chime in with an affirmative answer. My cousin just got out of jail and still doesn't care to stop abusing drugs. I spent the past week and a half there, much of it trying to show him that he needs to start thinking differently.

That is what is so damn hard about addictions. You have to get people to completely rethink how they evaluate everything. Because at this point the end of every thought they have is drinking/drugs. My cousin's problem has a lot to do with self-esteem and a lack of desire.

Unfortunately, as many people know, there isn't a whole lot you can do for him. He has to do it himself for the most part. And that starts with recognizing that it is actually detrimental to himself. My cousin just doesn't care to do anything else. He's gotten good at barely gettin' by. Try not to let your friend get to that point.

I wish there was some great advice I could give you, but I am at a loss. I do wish you the best though. Good luck.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 05:39:53 AM »
Wouldn't happen.  If drinking isn't involved, he won't have anything to do with it.
That tears it.

YOUR FRIEND IS AN ALCOHOLIC!

Your follow up posts almost sound as if you're looking for confirmation that your friend isn't one so you don't have to worry.

LISTEN UP!

If you care anything at all about this guy then now's the time to do something about it. There's hope if you catch the problem early and it is still early. If you wait and do nothing you'll get to experience all the pain that being friends with a commited alcoholic can bring.

Don't believe ME? Then go talk to an AA counselor or some other person who deals with alcoholism on a daily basis. Tell 'em the facts as you know 'em and ask them what to do. BUT! Do something before it's too late or quit the relationship because buddy one way or the other you're headed down a long road filled with nothing but pain.

It sounds like you've only got half your head buried in the sand Possenti - buck up and take it the rest of the way out.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 11:52:25 AM »
I think that alcoholism is just a symptom of a much deeper problem, mostly medical (mental) like depression, anxiety, personality disorders, etc..  I've also seen it because of physical problems like body pain (chronic).

If your friend is drinking just to get the "buzz" then he is an alcoholic, not an abuser of.  There is a difference between the two, alcoholism and alcohol abuse.

Most of us abuse alcohol (some worse than others).  We get off work and drink too much (not trying to get drunk, just ends up that way), start drinking early on days off due to boredom, etc.. are abusing alcohol.

Those that can only think about drinking, it's constantly on their minds, even to the point where they have alcohol at work or in their car for the drive home (to get a headstart, I've heard that one before) are alcoholics.

If you do get him to try to stop and he is a true alcoholic he needs to be watched closely for the first three days.  He may go through DT's and they can kill.

Good luck with your friend.

Wayne

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »
Let's say I'd like to enjoy 4-6 drinks every day of the week.  Does that make me an alcoholic?  

When I'm not drinking I wish I was, would that make me an alcoholic?
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

possenti

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 12:19:14 PM »
Quote from: Werewolf
Tell 'em the facts as you know 'em and ask them what to do. BUT! Do something before it's too late or quit the relationship because buddy one way or the other you're headed down a long road filled with nothing but pain.

It sounds like you've only got half your head buried in the sand Possenti - buck up and take it the rest of the way out.
I already consider the relationship pretty much over.  As I mentioned before, he never comes by to see me and/or my family, probably because he's uncomfortable with the concerned lectures from us.  

I talked to his dad today, and he doesn't see a problem.  He said that his son just likes to drink, and as long as he holds down a steady job, he can't be an alcoholic. I think his head's burried half way to China!  My wife has also mentioned (as casually as she could) the obvious problem to his mom and sister.  They pretty much say the same thing.  I think if we push the issue too far, we'll only piss everyone off.   What's the analogy about the giant elephant in the living room that no one notices?

It feels like I lost a little brother, but there's nothing else I can do (except pray).  As the Rabbi said, I'm just waiting around for the other shoe to drop.

possenti

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 12:23:16 PM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
Let's say I'd like to enjoy 4-6 drinks every day of the week.  Does that make me an alcoholic?  

When I'm not drinking I wish I was, would that make me an alcoholic?
No.  I know plenty of people who drink like that.  I used to love to have several beers after a day at work (but I'm watching my carbs right now, and I actually feel better and have more energy.)

But craving a drink when you don't have one could be a sign of a problem...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 02:03:32 PM »
Definitely sounds like an alcoholic to me. Even though people in their 20's (young men, especially) have problems with anxiety or depression that they "treat" with alcohol, many still wind up being dependent.

If he's hiding booze, that's a sure sign.*

The desire for a drink can be harmless, or it can be another sign. The "shakes" that a person has after coming off being drunk is the body calling for more alcohol.

Not sure what you can do for him, since quitting any addiction requires the addict to have the desire to quit.

*I buy my beer by the case to save $$. I keep it in the trunk of my car and, when there's none in the refrigerator, I go out to the car to bring some cans in. After years of my neighbors watching me go to the car for beer, one asked me why I keep beer in the trunk. It's an easy answer: my wife buys two week's of groceries at once; there's no room in the refrigerator. Or in the closet. Or anywhere else.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 12:29:50 AM »
yeah, i got about this far- " the only time he's happy is when he's drinking."

alcoholic, needs help. he keep this up for another year or two, he'll wake up with the shakes.

have him go hang with some hardcore bums and re evaluate what he wants from life.
\

worse- that vicodin ( that's how you spell it) is heroin in pill form. maybe not quite, but HIGHLY addicitve- taking one once in awhile will only lead to addiction it is INCREDIBLY strong stuff