Author Topic: What to do in Alaska  (Read 2086 times)

peteinct

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« on: July 16, 2005, 01:37:59 PM »
Hi, I'm visiting alaska in 3 weeks for a vacation of 1 week. What should I do, see and what's the weather like? I'll be in Anchorage. Any help would be great! Thanks
pete

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 03:39:12 PM »
Hows about fishing?  You oughta be able to find some good fishing around there.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Greg Levy

What to do in Alaska
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 04:44:21 PM »
Why don't you visit Wild West Guns?

greg

Schuey2002

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 10:11:03 PM »
Yeah, go visit  Wild E. Coyote. Take lots of pictures!

Tongue

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 06:42:39 AM »
Bear baiting?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

peteinct

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 12:07:16 PM »
Yeah I had thought of Wild west guns and I certainly don't want to be Treadwell brand bear food. We were going to do some hiking and sightseeing mostly. Hopefully we can rent a canoe and do some paddling around. Denali national park seems close so we are going there.
Thanks, pete

grampster

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 02:24:49 PM »
Look up WildAlaska and tour his gun shop.  It is said he wears red high heels.  We have been waiting for the pics for about a year.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

stevelyn

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 04:27:27 PM »
You should be arriving at about the begining of the silver salmon run on Susitna River streams north of Anchorage on the Parks Hwy. There are also runs coming in on Seward Hwy. streams south of ANC, but the traffic down there is horrid. It's the only road leading to Kenai Peninsula. I hate the place during the summer. The Parks Hwy. isn't much better, but it tends to clear after you get past Denali Park.
Weather is quite pleasant during the summer with warm days and cool nights. You should bring a light fleece lined jacket as the temps can drop if stormy weather approaches.
My next question.......Why the Hell Anchorage? That's nothing more than Seattle North. Fairbanks and the interior is where the real Alaska is located with better weather and more interesting history to boot. Cheesy
However if you insist on Anchorage here's a couple of places to visit......Alaska Native Heritage Museum out on Tudor Rd. and the Aviation History Museum on Lake Hood.
Ya hafta go and have either dinner or Sunday brunch at the Sourdough Mining Company and dinner at the Glacier Brewhouse. Take a day and drive up to Palmer and Wasilla. All the good salmon streams are above Wasilla starting at Willow. Even if you don't get a salmon, there are are rainbows and grayling in the streams. I've seen HUGE rainbows pulled out of Willow Creek. Egg patterns on a fly rod work best.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

peteinct

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 03:51:57 AM »
More, More, More!

Thanks again. We picked anchorage as a compromise. I wanted to go to alaska on a ship with waiters bringing me food and drinks with funny umbrellas. My wife wanted something compararable to visiting the third world far away from civilised comforts.  Actually we are suburbanites and not hardcore campers and I am not up to do serious wilderness.  I've never been to Seattle either so any thing should be interesting.

I was looking at a kayak tour service out of seward. Is there a problem with that? I found them on the anchorage city website and it said the drive wasn't too long. I do want to see denali but am not sure how to go about it.

There seems to be alot of museums and the 2 mentioned were already on the list. Local intelligence about the restaurants and bars is very helpful.

pete

stevelyn

• friend
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 03:16:06 PM »
No problem with kayak tours. You'll find more than you need. There's also kayak tours out of Whittier about 60 miles from Anchorage on Prince William Sound. Whittier is off the Seward Hwy a few miles and you go past Portage Glacier on the way there. They have  a visitor center with scenic views of the glacier. It's all part of the Chugach National Forest. There are three tour companies that go out on day cruises to do various glacier tours. I've went out on two of them, but all three offer high quality tours. Sport fishing charters are also available. To access Whittier, you have to pay a $12 toll to drive through a 13,000 ft tunnel shared by the railroad.
However the advantage to going to Seward is the drive down the Kenai Peninsula, but as I said the traffic is horrid. Seward has a little more to offer than Whittier does.
If you do get the chance to squeeze it in, try and get to Fairbanks. There is no comparison of the two.

Steve

A Fairbanksan exiled in Aleutian Hell.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
What to do in Alaska
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 05:58:28 PM »
Keep in mind "fairly close" up here is 2+ hours drive.  If you want a real good source of info on visiting AK, go online or to a bookstore and order "The Milepost".  As it says, it gives mile by mile descriptions of things to do on the highway system and has good maps.

Lots of ads and articles.  Well worth the $20.00.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."