Author Topic: So what's your opinion of the latest Harry Potter?  (Read 1602 times)

Preacherman

So what's your opinion of the latest Harry Potter?
« on: July 17, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »
I bought it early on Saturday morning, and have read it twice so far.  Most enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to the seventh and final episode (although rather sad that that will be the last of them, if author Rowling sticks to her original intention of only seven books).

This one seems less gripping than others in the series, but that's not to say it's bad.  Of the first six Potters, I found the second, third and fourth to be the "best" of them, but the other three are hardly poor stuff.

One thing, though:  I think Rowling has given some very big clues to the final book in this one.  For example, the mysterious "R.A.B." is clearly identified earlier in this book, if you read the clues correctly;  and the "traitor" unmasked at the end of this book may well turn out to be a hero in disguise, acting in accordance with a plan worked out with the slain hero of Vol. 6.  We'll see what happens in Vol. 7...

Overall, four out of five stars for this volume.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
My 17 year old daughter stayed-up all night and most of the morning reading it.  Guess she liked it.
Career Corrections

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 03:24:20 PM »
We bought our copy yesterday. My wife was still up reading when I went to work this morning at 0350. She had not yet been to bed, and was almost done with it. I am currently reading it aloud to her and my son, and enjoying it very much. I've found several passages that echo the libertarian/self-reliance slant of Book 5, and will be glad to see that continue. Can't say much seeing as how I'm only on chapter Eleven, but I can say that I'm not too sure about this year's Defence against the Dark Arts teacher.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 07:02:42 PM »
I haven't read it. Neither have I read any of the other books in the series. Heck, if someone gave me a copy of it, I'd most likely throw into my wood stove and burn it without ever cracking open the cover.

:/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 02:40:04 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Whoever they are. Tell that to anyone you see who is about to buy the book- I couldn't find any lines to drive past yelling it to. undecided
Ordinarily, I'm a non-violent person whenever possible.   But I think such actions could be considered "justifiable homicide".   Wink

Since we don't have Book handy, I'll put the "burning" theological question to Preacherman.  (I suspect they are the same person anyways.)   Do people that give, maliciously not accidently, away the endings of movies and/or books go to the "special hell", usually reserved for child molesters and people that talk at the theater?

I finish the book only once so far.  I was working over the weekend and read it whenever possible.  Actually, I started reading it while I was cleaning my M16.  (Some people can watch TV and clean rifles.  I can read and clean.)

Is this thread spoiler friendly or not?   You neglected to specify, Preacher, but it seems kinda obvious it'd be hard to discuss the book without SOME spoilers.

Just to play safe.    

************SPOILER WARNING***********

The ending was somewhat of a shocker, if it really happened the way everyone thinks it does.  I suspect Snape did NOT kill Dumbledore.   Completely out of character.  

I didn't feel too especially bad when Dumbledore croaked.  He intentionally put Harry in bad situations.  He KNEW that the Muggle family was torturing the kid.  Not abusing, flat out torture.   He did NOTHING to stop it.  Not a single freakin letter, not a single word, NOTHING.  He obviously saw it going on, and could have stepped in.  He didn't.  He only stepped in when they were about to kick Harry out of the house.   Dumbledore treated Harry as a weapon, not as a person.   He only started telling the truth after Harry already figured it out.   When it was convenient.  

Snape on the other hand hated Harry, but saved Harry's life repeatedly.   To be fair, Harry did routinely break the rules.   He occassionally was slightly malicious in punishing Harry without complete justification, but there was always some cause.   Yea, he played favorites a little too much, but when it came down to it, Snape didn't go out of his way to risk Harry's life the way Dumbledore did.  Snape never tried to manipulate or bend the truth for Harry either, that I saw.  Dumbledore intentionally manipulated Harry.   He might not have lied, per se, but he sure as heck was always bending the truth, withholding information, or giving only partial truths.

Harry I'm proud of.  He'd always been a relatively honourable kid.   He probably should have told off Dumbledore a lot earlier than he did, but to each their own.  I would have personally told Dumbledore to shove it.  No amount of supposed 'protection' was worth the torture inflicted upon that kid.  Funny how this alleged protection never seemed to be around when Harry's life was in danger.

Lupin, Sirius and Mad Eye were the only people that gave a damn about Harry and actually treated him with an ounce of respect.   Dumbledore screwed over Sirius.   He KNEW Sirius was innocent when he was sent to prison, and let him take the fall.   Heck, he HELPED put Sirius in prison.  Mad Eye is an interesting character.  You could say the fake Mad Eye was just that, a fake.  My take on the situation was that the fake Mad Eye was for all intensive purposes the real Mad Eye for most of the Triwizards competition.   He showed Harry real ways to defend himself, helped Harry whenever possible, and actually did care about his well-being.  Not just keeping Harry alive, he wanted to safeguard Harry's well-being.  Lupin, well, heh.   Funny.  Dumbledore seemed to have access to a large amount of wealth, but it seems like Lupin keeps looking shabbier and shabbier.  Funny.  That.  So much for taking care of one's own, eh?

Most of the Harry series seemed to be flat out sadism towards Harry, with Dumbledore usually letting it happening.  He always stepped in whenever it served his own purposes, but would walk out as soon as it was convenient.   He wants a weapon.  He didn't seem to care too much about the person, most of the time.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 06:16:29 PM »
Preacherman,

I found a book in the religion section of B&N a few months back on a vacation, haven't gone back to look for it (locally that is).

Anyway,

The author is of the opinion that the Potter books are, in a way, Christianity neutral both in certain explicit senses (things Rowling wrote) and in that they describe sympathetic magic rather than any sort of invocation of alternate power sources.

I was just leafing through it but the impression I got was along the lines of how Lewis was fond of describing magic as being before things got polarized in his fiction.  Like Merlin in Perelandra.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:22:31 AM »
I have my copy but I haven't read it yet (still reading a different book).  I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Preacherman, Rowling says on her website that if she writes an 8th book it will be another for-charity-only piece.  

Oh, and Blackburn - decided to show your trollish roots, eh?  You don't spoil books or movies for other people.   Unless you're a childish jerk who takes pleasure in ruining things for others  that is.   Just because you don't like the Potter books doesn't mean you should ruin someone else's fun.  I'll be sure to keep you in mind for a big hug and sloppy kiss if I ever catch the antibiotic-resistant TB.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln