Author Topic: Recommend a gun-friendly law school ...  (Read 1656 times)

Mulliga

Recommend a gun-friendly law school ...
« on: July 17, 2005, 05:03:23 PM »
I've wanted to become a lawyer (more specifically, a Supreme Court Justice) for a long time now. I'm currently looking for a suitable law school, but many of them are in anti-gun states, and I figure spending three years anywhere disarmed is a bad idea (not to mention my favorite means of recreation would be gone). The gun laws here in FL are pretty good, and I'd prefer somewhere with CCW reciprocity with FL. Obviously, states like CA, NJ, etc. are out.

My stats are sort of middling, 3.8 GPA in Computer Engineering here at UF, only 159 on the LSAT (d'oh!). But being an attorney is something I've always wanted to do, so I'll go with what I have.

UF's law school (Levin) is the baseline. I've heard it's a pretty good school and it's inexpensive for what you get ($7000 a year).

Thanks in advance.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 05:30:12 PM »
Univ. of Michigan Law School.  Michigan is Shall Issue.  Detroit has Cooley Law, but U of M is in Ann Arbor.  Nice town.

Oops, my bad, Barbara.  I knew that Cooley was in Lansing.  Brain F**t on my part.  U of M has the heavy weight rep as far as lawyers go.  Good friend of mine graduated from U of M in the 60's and he got recruited by several NY law firms.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 10:00:15 PM »
I think Cooley is more pro-gun. Carol Bambery (NRA Director) was an adjunct professor there, teaching 2A law, until she just relocated temporarily to DC. I think she's still on the board of Governors there.

ETA: Cooley is in Lansing. It's in a pretty good area, near the Capitol.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 11:58:18 PM »
This ranks the top 100. U of M is 7 I think. Also there's some on the list in Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Indiana, all of which are pretty gun friendly.

http://www.lawschool100.com/

I lived in Winston-Salem when I was a kid and used to go to the Wake Forest library with my dad. Lovely town, gorgeous campus.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 10:33:50 AM »
Drop a line to the NRA for suggestions.  

Take a look at George Mason University.

If you are setting your sights on the major league, you'll no doubt have to network amonst the major league players.  By that you'll have to graduate a brand name institution so that alumni will know you as well as classmates.  As anywhere in life, who you know is far more important than what you know.

Good luck.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Cindog

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:34:18 AM »
If you have serious ambitions of making it all the way to the Supreme Court, I suggest you pick your law school on something other than being located in a gun friendly state.  Just take a look at the current Justices and you will see they all come from Harvard, Yale, Standford or Northwestern (all of which are top 10 schools).  I did not research it but suspect that past courts had a very similar makeup.  If I were you, I would try to get into the best school you can regardless of where it is located.  The better the school, the easier everything will be for you including getting the best summer associate positions, the best law clerk positions, etc.