Author Topic: Blublockers  (Read 5128 times)

Paddy

Blublockers
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
These are GREAT sunglasses.  Anybody else wear 'em?  Only thing is I don't think they come in prescription (progressive lens).  But I've got an idea.  Looking for some old glasses around here, and I'm gonna attach the lenses to the inside of the Blublockers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Blublockers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »
Are you going to get a Jitterbug phone to match?

http://www.jitterbug.com/
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
You can get scrip sunglasses with the near-UV blocking coating.  Mine are RayBan.  I wish they also had a coating that would block near-IR.  Intense colors right at the end of the spectrum will cause contrasting items things to look blurry even for those with perfect vision.

Brad

p.s. Web designers, I'm talking to you!!  Those deep blue or deep red backgrounds might look snazzy, but they sure are hard on the eyes.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
I'm supposed to have UV protection, which (it says), these provide.  They are not polarized however. Still the clarity is amazingly sharp, no glare at all.   RayBan makes some great shades, too.  I didn't know they made 'scrips for them.  I'll check 'em out.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
What is seen cannot be unseen.   shocked
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »
Oh. I thought you meant BLUB Lockers, as in tummies. grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »
Dear older folks:

If your kids buy you a Jitterbug phone, it means that they think that you are Too Stupid to use something with more than a few buttons.

Disinherit them. Now.

If they give you those sunglasses, smile nicely, accept them graciously, and put them in the same drawer with the Jitterbug. Then wear the x-ray-specs like you always do while the ladies are having their afternoon shuffleboard tourney...

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
If he starts asking about Depends undergarments, then we know it's too late. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
If your kids buy you a Jitterbug phone, it means that they think that you are Too Stupid to use something with more than a few buttons.

I just went to the website. I think I'm getting one for my dad for his birthday.  grin
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »

Quoted for truth.

I've seen the Jitterbug commercials, and thought it was a good idea.  It probably is, but I just visited the website for the first time.  Yes and No buttons instead of a Send and End button (as my LG phone has)?  If you can't understand what send and end mean, you have no business going anywhere near any form of technology invented in the last 100 years.  My dad and step-mom, both in their 60's, have no trouble understanding the functions of regular cell phones.

I thought the Presto was bad, ( www.presto.com ), but I'd expect my dad to disown me if I bought him a Jitterbug.  grin

Back to the original topic, I'm glad to see they've somewhat updated the style of Blu-Blockers.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »
HELLO HELLO
I'M IN A PLACE CALLED VERTIGO
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
If he starts asking about Depends undergarments, then we know it's too late. 

I forget to zip up occasionally, but so far I've haven't forgotten to zip down.  So there's lotsa time left. heh.  laugh

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
What's "mail?"

I remember a few years back, when I was working for the consulting company, and one of the upper-middle managers from the spinoff company walks up to the team secretary, and asks her to print off his e-mails so he could read them. Within earshot was one of the major consultants and myself. I looked over at him, and he made the "slashing across throat" motion... Yup - the guy was gone in the next "reengineering" moment...

I think it was about that time that I stopped running into people who proudly announced "I don't use one of those computers - they're for the secretaries."

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
Hey, knock off the 'senior' stuff, y'all.  I'm not that old.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
Geologically speaking.
Blog under construction

atomd

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 04:18:03 AM »
It could be worse.......

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 06:02:46 AM »
. . . If you can't understand what send and end mean, you have no business going anywhere near any form of technology invented in the last 100 years . . .
I'm starting to see more of this. A few years back, even the simplest of power tools - drill, hedge trimmers, weed wacker, etc. - came with an instruction manual that would probably take 20 minutes to get through, if you didn't simply do like most people and throw it in a drawer and then just plug in and use the gizmo without any further thought.

I just bought a mini-lathe, and the setup instructions were, well, sparse.

And then I realized, if you CAN'T figure out the basics from that, you have NO business using a lathe.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »
The "Yes" and "No" buttons are responses to simple command questions that pop up on the screen. For example, you type in a number.  And not just any number, a BIG FREAKIN' NUMBER SO YOU CAN READ IT WITH OLD EYES.  Right at the bottom of the screen pops up the question, "Call?".  You answer by pressing "Yes" or "No".  Easy and straightforward. 

I think it's an inspired concept.  Wish I'da thunk of it.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Quote from: Declaration Day
If you can't understand what send and end mean, you have no business going anywhere near any form of technology invented in the last 100 years .

The "Yes" and "No" buttons are responses to simple command questions that pop up on the screen. For example, you type in a number.  And not just any number, a BIG FREAKIN' NUMBER SO YOU CAN READ IT WITH OLD EYES.  Right at the bottom of the screen pops up the question, "Call?".  You answer by pressing "Yes" or "No".  Easy and straightforward. 

I think it's an inspired concept.  Wish I'da thunk of it.

Brad

Yes, I get that.  Note that if something I post seems smart-assed, chances are I'm joking.  I have a 93-year-old grandmother who wouldn't even go near a Jitterbug, because the concept of a phone with no wire, combined with having to press a "send" or "yes" after dialing the number, is a completely alien concept that she wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.  grin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »
combined with having to press a "send" or "yes" after dialing the number, is a completely alien concept that she wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. 

Would you believe that, shortly before her passing, my 86 year old Grandmother made up her mind to learn how to set and keep current the clock on her VCR.  Taught herself to do it right out of the instructions, too, without input or assistance.  She couldn't keep her grandkids names straight half the time but that clock was always right.

Brad
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »
combined with having to press a "send" or "yes" after dialing the number, is a completely alien concept that she wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. 

Would you believe that, shortly before her passing, my 86 year old Grandmother made up her mind to learn how to set and keep current the clock on her VCR.  Taught herself to do it right out of the instructions, too, without input or assistance.  She couldn't keep her grandkids names straight half the time but that clock was always right.

Brad

grin

I remember my parents buying a VCR for my grandparents in the early '90s (same grandmother who is 93 today, grandpa passed in '99) and they were flabbergasted with the reality of being able to watch a movie, when they felt like it, outside a movie theater.

I had my first similar experience recently when I offered the 13-year-old kid across the street a CD boombox for free.  He wouldn't take it because he has an MP3 player.   grin

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
Ohmigawd...

Guys, I need a financial backer NOW...

A cell phone with a dial. Marketable to the guy with the blublockers, the high belt, the white socks, who is dragging a piece of toilet paper on one shoe...

Blog under construction

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 07:17:11 PM »
Ohmigawd...

Guys, I need a financial backer NOW...

A cell phone with a dial.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Would $15 cover startup fees?  grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
My grandparents are in thier late seventies....both use email and the intrawebz.....
I do think they are on dial up, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 04:37:42 AM »

"Hey, knock off the 'senior' stuff, y'all.  I'm not that old.
"

Oh yes you are!  We have the picture to prove it.

Look down right now.  I'll bet your zipper is in Lowered Status.

PS:  Blu Blockers are great in the fall when all the trees are in color.  Those glasses really brighten and enhance the color.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw