Author Topic: True grits  (Read 5146 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
True grits
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:40:23 AM »
Hi, all,

Had grits with breakfast this morning and they seemed pretty dull. What do you put on 'em to jazz 'em up?

Y'all hurry back now, hear?
- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
True grits
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 05:53:11 AM »
I hope you mean real grits, not the *expletive deleted*it that comes out of a packet.

A little butter on top, and a dash of salt and pepper should be enough.  If its not, then you're not cut out to be a grits eater.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Smith

• friend
True grits
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 05:59:12 AM »
Depends on where you are.  Here in NC most folks will put a little butter and sugar, or honey, on them.  YUM!!!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
True grits
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:13:04 AM »
Quote from: Smith
Depends on where you are.  Here in NC most folks will put a little butter and sugar, or honey, on them.  YUM!!!
People in NC also make BBQ with mustard, so it goes to show....

I am a little unorthodox (grits-speaking anyway).  I like to fry up some mushrooms, jalapeno pepper, and fake sausage and put it on top and then sprinkle soy sauce on it.  It isn't grits at the purest, I admit.  But I like it and thats all that counts.
Also try cheese grits.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

mtnbkr

• friend
True grits
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:15:40 AM »
Not in any part of NC I'd visit.  I think you're confusing it with SC.

We (NC natives) use a mix of vinegar, ketchup, various spices, brown sugar, and "other ingredients".  It doesn't mask the flavor of the meat.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:21:40 AM »
A few years ago I was accosted at by a very obnoxious ahole who was terribly offended that I was putting butter and maple syrup on my grits at the diner where I was eating.

I won't repeat exactly what I said in reply, but it was essentially "mind your own business, eat your meal, or wear you meal, moron."

I then proceeded to DROWN my grits in maple syrup, so much so that I didn't really enjoy them.

I never ate grits until I moved below the Manson-Nixon line. They're not part of the Pennsylvania culture.

I normally eat them with sugar and cream, like a cereal.

But there are times when I like to go all out. I'll make them with chicken or vegetable broth or buttermilk, melt cheese in them, and add ham, chicken, or shrimp.

A few years ago the parents came down for the weekend and I made them buttermilk cheddar cheese grits for breakfast.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
True grits
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 06:22:53 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Not in any part of NC I'd visit.  I think you're confusing it with SC.

We (NC natives) use a mix of vinegar, ketchup, various spices, brown sugar, and "other ingredients".  It doesn't mask the flavor of the meat.

Chris
I didn't know that about you.  I went to high school down east, 'round Havelock.  Only 3 1/2 years, but I have to call it home....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 06:40:25 AM »
I've had mustard based BBQ sauces, and I can't say that I'm entirely crazy about them.

I've had mtnbkr's family BBQ sauce recipe as he describes, and it's good.

But, I have to say, I prefer either a mayonaise based sauce, or a KC-style smoky, sweet, and spicy sauce.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
True grits
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 06:50:35 AM »
I just wanted to stir the pot.

I do like a little syrup in my grits, but generally only eat them with butter, S&P.  

The NC style Vinegar sauce is hard to explain....just something one has to try to understand....
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 06:59:18 AM »
"The NC style Vinegar sauce is hard to explain....just something one has to try to understand...."

Sort of like shoofly pie. It has to be tried to be understood.

mtnbkr

• friend
True grits
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 07:08:03 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
I didn't know that about you.  I went to high school down east, 'round Havelock.  Only 3 1/2 years, but I have to call it home....
I was born in Coats, but most of my family is in/around Goldsboro.  I've also lived in New Bern (near Havelock) and Tarboro.  I went back to NC for college (Campbell Univ).  I love NC, it's one of the few places I'd live besides Va (WV and TN being the others).

Back to grits, I'm not a real connesieur.  I like 'em with butter or with a soft cooked egg chopped up, but I've not gotten real fancy otherwise.  Sometimes I'll make my own red eye gravy and add it to the grits.  I'll have to try them maple syrup and cream, that sounds good.

Chris

Smith

• friend
True grits
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 07:28:56 AM »
MMMM Shrimp and grits!!!  Now there is heaven in a bowl when done correctly!

41 Redhawk

True grits
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 08:02:38 AM »
Quote from: Smith
MMMM Shrimp and grits!!!  Now there is heaven in a bowl when done correctly!
Oh Yeah!

Little hard to find up here in Pittsburgh though!

Art Eatman

• friend
True grits
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »
Some Florida folks down around Bean's Creek are sorta backwoods alchemists.  They keep trying to bleach used coffee grounds so they can sell'em to Yankees on the Interstate as grits.

That goes a long way to show why a lot of folks don't give a hang for southern cooking...

Cheesy, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

True grits
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 08:34:06 AM »
Can you put M&Ms on them?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
"They keep trying to bleach used coffee grounds so they can sell'em to Yankees on the Interstate as grits."

Of course, they're such stupid local yokel rednecks that they don't realize that they're spending FAR more money trying to bleach the coffee grounds than what they're getting in selling them...

GIT'ER DONE!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
True grits
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 08:45:14 AM »
Can't believe noone has said grits and eggs yet! A little butter, some salt an pepper and a couplea Over easy eggs on top. Now THAT'S heaven...

Believe it or not there's a little resturant on Cape Cod that sells em. Hard to find here in the northland...

I used to have a Georgia Peach for an aunt. She turned me on to them.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
True grits
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 08:56:53 AM »
Aw, Mike, Clorox is cheap.  After straining through, you can then use it as a brown dye and sell clothes to the Polish Army as desert camo.

Cheesy, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

One of Many

• friend
True grits
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:35 AM »
None of you have mentioned the scrambled pork brains; serve with grits and eggs, and your condiment of choice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:41 AM »
And grits are even cheaper than clorox, Art.

Hey Cleetus! Take some of them there funny green pitchures of ded prezzidents and get us sum more of that there bleach!

mtnbkr

• friend
True grits
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 09:27:06 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Can't believe noone has said grits and eggs yet! A little butter, some salt an pepper and a couplea Over easy eggs on top. Now THAT'S heaven...
I did a few posts ago.  rolleyes  Cheesy

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
True grits
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
Quote from: One of Many
None of you have mentioned the scrambled pork brains; serve with grits and eggs, and your condiment of choice.
had it once before.  It actually tastes good, but I avoid eating brains in this age of BSE, etc. Sad

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
"None of you have mentioned the scrambled pork brains"

Nor will I ever.

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
True grits
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 10:34:04 AM »
23 posts and no TABASCO Huh?

Damn Yankees!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
True grits
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 10:35:56 AM »
Tobasco?

I've never seen the attraction.

All heat, no flavor.

Louisiana Brand, on the other hand?

Heat and LOTS of flavor.

I don't eat it on my grits, though.