Author Topic: The MN .gov shutdown just got serious  (Read 5170 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
The MN .gov shutdown just got serious
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/125490398.html

"Beer" is being pulled off the shelves!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: The MN .gov shutdown just got serious
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
riots start yet?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/125490398.html

"Beer" is being pulled off the shelves!

You scared me for a minute there.  Then I saw that it was only Coors and Miller  [barf]
"It's good, though..."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:14:24 PM »
So they are too shutdown to fail to renew the licence but not too shutdown to enforce the law?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
To horse!  On to Minnesota.

If we get there in tme and offer to buy the beer at a discount (hey, 10 cents on the dollar is better better than no cents on the dollar, right?) we might be able to prevent all those retailers from going into bankruptcy, as well as preventing the breweries from laying off scores of folks who cannot get unemployment insurance since the offices where they would apply are already closed.

Why, we'd be actual heroes!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
They're too shut down to accept checks and process licenses to sell a product they'll collect taxes on, but they're not too shut down to keep a spokeman for the Department of Public Safety on the job???

So they need papers to stay in business . . . but the state isn't issuing papers. Didn't Chicago get spanked by SCOTUS on their gun law that required handguns to be registered, but they were refusing to register handguns? Sort of similar, in a way . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
You scared me for a minute there.  Then I saw that it was only Coors and Miller  [barf]

That is beer?  More like bumping uglies in a canoe.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
Hmmm... the state refused to honor the renewal, and included payment, because the check was too big?  That's like the power company saying "we can't take payment for your $90 light bill because you sent us $100." 

Refusal of payment for incomplete renewal documentation or violations of licensing is one thing.  Refusal of payment because the check is too big is another.  Sounds like MillerCoors has an ironclad case for, at the very least, monetary damages based on loss of sales and legal fees.

I see this one getting resolved PDQ as it's a massive public relations disaster for the .gov.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:10:10 PM »
That is beer?  More like bumping uglies in a canoe.

To be fair 41magsnub did put the word beer in quotes.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 05:50:18 PM »
I have an idea.....does anyone have a 18-wheeler, a Trans-Am, and a basset hound handy?.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_and_the_Bandit#Plot

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Hmmm... the state refused to honor the renewal, and included payment, because the check was too big?  That's like the power company saying "we can't take payment for your $90 light bill because you sent us $100." 

[miller rep]"tha last agent said to ALWAYS add an extra 100k!"
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Sounds like they just created a run on Miller products.

I wonder... do any other products sold in MN require a branding license?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »
I have an idea.....does anyone have a 18-wheeler, a Trans-Am, and a basset hound handy?.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_and_the_Bandit#Plot

=D

Those things will be easy, but can you come up with at least 2 working 23 channel CB radios?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »
Those things will be easy, but can you come up with at least 2 working 23 channel CB radios?

I have that in my garage. Thing is, I'm in MN...

Trade them for beer?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »
Folks wonder why I keep a two case reserve in the closet. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »

That's easy.....go to any Pilot or Flying J truck stop...they have cases of them.....with whip antennas and matching fuzzy dice.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
Folks wonder why I keep a two case reserve in the closet. 

I don't wonder that.

I do wonder just how many products this applies to, and just how damn big your closet is!  :laugh:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
I don't wonder that.

I do wonder just how many products this applies to, and just how damn big your closet is!  :laugh:

Quite a few.  And quite large, surprisingly.  I'm working on reorganizing it, starting to look pretty good
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
Quite a few.  And quite large, surprisingly.  I'm working on reorganizing it, starting to look pretty good

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 12:33:18 AM »
That's easy.....go to any Pilot or Flying J truck stop...they have cases of them.....with whip antennas and matching fuzzy dice.....  =D

Those would be the "new" 40 channel versions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams