Author Topic: Mad Scientist of the Month: Who’s Afraid of Taylor Wilson?  (Read 5152 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/89423
--brought to you by mental_floss!

Meet Taylor Wilson.  At age 14 Taylor became the youngest person in the world to build a nuclear fusion reactor. His IQ has tested in the 99.99 percentile.

When the U.S. Department of Homeland Security heard about Wilson two years ago, officials invited him to their offices to hear more about his research and determine whether or not it could be applied toward their counter-terrorism efforts. Because Wilson was only 15, they weren’t expecting much, but Wilson came prepared. After shaking everyone’s hands, he announced, “You know your building’s radio-active, right?” The pager-sized Geiger counter attached to Wilson’s belt was beeping, an indication that the granite surrounding them contained unusually high amounts of uranium—not enough to be harmful, but enough for Wilson to raise a few eyebrows.

“Their own building was radioactive and most didn’t know it,” Wilson says. “That’s when they started to take me really seriously.”

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/89423#ixzz1VxOyHIHh
--brought to you by mental_floss!

Good read.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Mad Scientist of the Month: Who’s Afraid of Taylor Wilson?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »
Is he arranging the fuel rods according to the Fibonacci Sequence?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
Sounds a lot like the "Radioactive Boy Scout" article in Harper's a few years ago.

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
Glad he's on our side. Impressive.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »

At age 14 Taylor became the youngest person in the world to build a nuclear fusion reactor.

I think he'd be the only person in the world to build a nuclear fusion reactor.

All the reactors out there right now are fission reactors.

ETA:  I read the full article.  He built a fusion chamber, and fused some Deuterium.  But nothing says he built a power generating reactor (which is my immediate assumption when hearing "reactor").  I give mad props to the kid for chasing down something as complicated and esoteric as this and hope it leads to further research advancements in his life later on. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:28:27 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
As far as power producing, self-sustainting reactors, yes.  All of them are fission.

But as far as experimental or home-built "fusor" type reactors....   not at all true. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
I wasn't aware that you could get all that stuff (including radium and vials of plutonium!) on Ebay . . .  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
I think he'd be the only person in the world to build a nuclear fusion reactor.

All the reactors out there right now are fission reactors.

ETA:  I read the full article.  He built a fusion chamber, and fused some Deuterium.  But nothing says he built a power generating reactor (which is my immediate assumption when hearing "reactor").  I give mad props to the kid for chasing down something as complicated and esoteric as this and hope it leads to further research advancements in his life later on. 

Yah, there's many home built fusors that are net energy losers. Still cool though.
I promise not to duck.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
My Phd project was very nearly a Farnsworth fusor.  This is a public forum so I can't really say any more, other than we've been able to see ~30 seconds of self-sustaining reaction.  We think.

Impressive that the kid can do it at 14, but not a horribly complex project, especially considering plans are readily available.  Now, show me a 14 year old who can do near-field microscopy, and I will be impressed.    What makes me happy is to see a young American kid with some enthusiasm for science.  That is a rarity these days. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
Yah, there's many home built all fusors that are net energy losers. Still cool though.

Fixed (been working on fusion stuff since I was that kid's age).

There are plenty of devices that can do DT and DD fusion that can be built at home (don't even need that high of voltages.  However...I would suggest not doing it...most can easily create enough neutrons and bremsstralung x-rays to harm/kill someone. 

As for near field microscopy...funny, I have a patent submission in progress on that topic :)

Physics

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
Fixed (been working on fusion stuff since I was that kid's age).

There are plenty of devices that can do DT and DD fusion that can be built at home (don't even need that high of voltages.  However...I would suggest not doing it...most can easily create enough neutrons and bremsstralung x-rays to harm/kill someone. 

As for near field microscopy...funny, I have a patent submission in progress on that topic :)

Hey me too!   A couple of them actually.  My research group specializes in near-field, and I do all of our numerical modeling and a lot on the fabrication end (a lot of SEM and FIB work, amongst other things) for nano-probes.

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:05 PM »
My Phd project was very nearly a Farnsworth fusor.

???
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:03:17 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
Hey me too!   A couple of them actually.  My research group specializes in near-field, and I do all of our numerical modeling and a lot on the fabrication end (a lot of SEM and FIB work, amongst other things) for nano-probes.

PM me with your work info (company/school/email)...I need to find a partner company to work with that knows their stuff...we have a good idea, but we don't have the facilities to execute at my business unit.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
I wonder what kind of surveillance they have on the kid?
Is he on the no-fly list yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Physics

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
In fact, Wilson thinks his youth is an asset.
“Because kids haven’t been exposed to the bureaucracy of professional science, they’re a lot more open to trying things,” Wilson says. “In that way, I think kids are able to sometimes do better science than adults.”
Don't worry, the bureaucracy will sap his motivation and creativity before he reaches 25.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »
My Phd project was very nearly a Farnsworth fusor. 

Good news, everyone!  Today you will be delivering a nearly-functional fusor named after me!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »
Meet Taylor Wilson.  At age 14 Taylor became the youngest person in the world to build a nuclear fusion reactor. His IQ has tested in the 99.99 percentile.

Bet he gets a full scholarship at any Middle Eastern university of his choice.....  [tinfoil]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.