Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 38309 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Afghanistan
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2021, 08:09:56 PM »
[barf]

I have much less respect for him than I did for Trump. I didn't like that life long democrat actor. He did some good things but could have been so much better.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2021, 11:44:48 PM »
What people don't get is that the Taliban didn't come back, they were always there. 20 years of cluelessness
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2021, 12:21:13 AM »
What people don't get is that the Taliban didn't come back, they were always there. 20 years of cluelessness

The Taliban leadership just sat over the border in Pakistan and waited while sending their foot soldiers over to kill us occasionally.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2021, 09:58:55 AM »
Notice RAF, Polish, Turkish C-130s and A400s and an non-IDed 737 going in and out of A this morning.

As a side note noticed an Iranian aircraft with a call sign of FLTCK01 belonging to Iran Civil Aviation Training & Service Center buzzing around just over the Iranian border. Did a double take at the call sign. I can't help it if the LT forms a U in my mind at first glance.  :rofl: That just made my morning.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:12:13 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
speaker nancy pelosi : “everything sounds like it’s in a good place, everyone just needs to get to the airport.”

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
And a US C-17 just took off from Kabul. They climb fast and hard after takeoff I'm assuming to avoid small arms fire.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2021, 12:18:38 PM »
Biden is off the hook. It was climate change.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/08/20/this-is-a-real-headline-cbs-news-gives-biden-an-assist-by-explaining-how-climate-change-strengthened-the-taliban/

Enter the Babylon Bee

If you read our story yesterday about CBS News reporting that the Taliban have been strengthened in Afghanistan because of climate change, you might have asked yourself, “is this from the Babylon Bee?”

With that in mind, Babylon Bee CEO Seth Dillon went ahead and made it official:

Did I forget to mention we bought CBS? https://t.co/9UQZJbhvqh

— Seth Dillon (@SethDillon) August 21, 2021
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/08/21/babylon-bee-ceo-has-a-big-scoop-after-cbs-news-reports-what-has-strengthened-the-taliban/

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »
Couldn't help but notice the similarities in the shape of Afghanistan and West Virginia 
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #287 on: August 21, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »
Couldn't help but notice the similarities in the shape of Afghanistan and West Virginia

Less drugs in the stan.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »
C-130 going in with the call sign ARSON54.

>:D
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »
Fact check: Joe Biden has never worn a hat that says "Make Taliban Great Again."
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: August 21, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
Fact check: Joe Biden has never worn a hat that says "Make Taliban Great Again."
… as far as he can remember.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2021, 07:53:57 PM »
Get woke go broke
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2021, 09:04:14 PM »
The Taliban dressed up in American military gear we left behind when we fled the country and staged their own mock Iwo Jima photo.
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1429174503930613764/photo/1
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »
The Taliban dressed up in American military gear we left behind when we fled the country and staged their own mock Iwo Jima photo.
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1429174503930613764/photo/1

An important point to remember, which many people want to gloss over.

We did not leave gear behind that belonged to the US military, especially NVGs. 99.99% (probably 100%) of the US gear that the Taliban are being shown with was owned by the ANA. We sold gave that gear to the Afghans.

There are a few things you do not want to lose control of if you are in the US military and that's your weapons and your NVGs.

I wonder if this started as a right wing talking point?

bob

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
They've sure got some chutzpah.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2021, 08:34:59 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/world/american-mom-trapped-afghanistan-taliban-biden

https://twitter.com/i/status/1429140083291140105

From the armchair, never having been in a battle: I suppose the better thing would have been to have kept enough troops there to hold the airport and a corridor into Kabul. Were this another reality where the current stuff was going on, what would prevent an alternate America from sending in 5000 Sardaukar with instructions to kill everyone waving a gun between the airport and Kabul proper, and hold that until everyone we want evacuated is evacuated? Seems like that would be an efficient way to hold off the Taliban and every other monkey with a gun who is playing Taliban.

I understand this morning that while currently the US military is not allowed to leave the airport to assist other than I guess a few isolated incidents, there is a chance that the politicians are looking at the bad press and because of that (vs a logically contemplated decision) considering sending troops beyond the airport to clear the way for evacuees. I fear that their ROEs and likely smaller numbers will dangerously hamper them if that happens.

Again, from the armchair, but if you want to get people out with the minimal loss of life at this time, it seems going full Von Clausewitz would be the way to do it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #297 on: August 22, 2021, 09:06:17 AM »
^^^I think it is unfortunate that the ready brigade of the 82nd Airborne has not been airlifted into the airport to serve as needed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #298 on: August 22, 2021, 09:24:13 AM »
^^^I think it is unfortunate that the ready brigade of the 82nd Airborne has not been airlifted into the airport to serve as needed.

It's only from the morning shows this morning, so who knows about the accuracy, but one story mentioned that military at the airport are frustrated and chomping at the bit to go out, show force, and bring people in. The other story said that there are a number of former military, through private networks, already there and getting people they know (interpreters, etc.) out one by one.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
. . . Bottom line, it’s a shithole and you’d never be successful in teaching them to do anything different they have been doing for hundreds of years . . .
I disagree.

They're still trying to work their way up to shithole status.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain