Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 38308 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Afghanistan
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
I figure a lot of people were never for occupation, but other issues were dominant.  Just my opinion I guess. 

Also, it always seemed to me that we were throwing troops out there, but handcuffing them with restrictive ROE's.  If we were not going to do what would be needed to really win, then get out and accept whatever end result that adds up to.  The BigGov set unwinnable goals very early on. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2021, 02:58:33 PM »
I honestly think a big problem was the US civilians were expecting Desert Storm, while signing up for South Korea.

I remember being an E4 on CQ (24 hour duty) when we rolled into Iraq in 2003.  Watching it start live I was talking with the NCO that was also on duty and we were discussing whether Iraq was a 20 or 25 year prospect for US forces being there.  We expected Afghanistan to be about the same.

Then when I was in Bagram in 2009, I was talking with senior NCO's and Officers there and how the "government" was going and by that point it was a pretty common opinion among the folks on the ground that we would need to keep American ISR and Air Support to back up the Afghans for a solid generation.  Not a huge force doing daily combat like early on, but a definite presence to deter folks across the border.  [dealing with the Afghan gov corruption was another issue]  And yet, supposed Southwest Asia wonks seem surprised here.

Honestly, I am less concerned about the US and NATO citizens still on the ground than I am the Afghani's that were born since 2001.  The US citizens had plenty of time to read the writing on the wall.  The Afghani girls turning 16 and 17 this year don't even really know what is coming.  I'll be surprised if there's less than half a million Afghani's killed in the next year.  Not in combat, just straight murdered.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #327 on: August 23, 2021, 03:46:33 PM »
https://coffeeordie.com/ark-salus-evacuation-kabul?fbclid=IwAR1AMDc6sAjbxavFhxzT3tmgpWb-T9gaikxwKGXMq9D8IiST6sFP_wkn5XU

All of the gates are impassable. Not only impassable but a hazard to human life. There have been deaths due to trampling, exhaustion, or sickness. Way more than is being reported. People have tried to throw their kids over the wall, and they get stuck in the razor wire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #328 on: August 23, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #329 on: August 23, 2021, 04:46:30 PM »
I figure a lot of people were never for occupation, but other issues were dominant.  Just my opinion I guess. 

Also, it always seemed to me that we were throwing troops out there, but handcuffing them with restrictive ROE's.  If we were not going to do what would be needed to really win, then get out and accept whatever end result that adds up to.  The BigGov set unwinnable goals very early on.

We said that 50+ years ago, in Vietnam.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #330 on: August 23, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »
Honestly, I am less concerned about the US and NATO citizens still on the ground than I am the Afghani's that were born since 2001.  The US citizens had plenty of time to read the writing on the wall.  The Afghani girls turning 16 and 17 this year don't even really know what is coming.  I'll be surprised if there's less than half a million Afghani's killed in the next year.  Not in combat, just straight murdered.

Remember it's wrong to judge other cultures
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #331 on: August 23, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
Remember it's wrong to judge other cultures

I never bought into cultural relativism.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #332 on: August 23, 2021, 05:41:01 PM »
I never bought into cultural relativism.

That wasn't aimed at you but rather at how the libs keep saying it's wrong to judge other cultures whenever anyone on the right criticizes another country. In other words I'm mocking them

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #333 on: August 23, 2021, 07:17:17 PM »
Ladies and gents, 11 days from "you'll never be successful" to "let's fire the land war back up".

:facepalm:

As for me, I would have preferred we left it all behind after they whacked Bin Laden.  Stayed way too long after that in my humble opinion. 

I bailed after 22 years when they wanted me to go back to Iraq 1 too many times than I cared to.  Didn’t put any time in the “Stan” but had plenty of buddies who did. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #334 on: August 23, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
Got a contact number?

Shall I PM it?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #335 on: August 23, 2021, 09:09:28 PM »
Trump would have B-52s warming up on the runway. Biden's out for ice cream.

Taliban spokesman: “It's a red line. President Biden announced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces… If the U.S. or U.K. were to seek additional time to continue evacuations — the answer is no. Or there would be consequences.”https://t.co/O7nJxo3lp5 pic.twitter.com/PDv2Fn3dDm

— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) August 23, 2021
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/08/23/the-taliban-is-drawing-red-lines-now-says-it-will-provoke-a-reaction-if-us-seeks-more-time-for-evacuations/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #336 on: August 23, 2021, 09:34:04 PM »
Just a concept, but it some group in some backwards-ass country steps up, and actually does an action inside the US (you know, like when they killed all them new york folks...), I don't think anyone would really be all that surprised at a midnight sunrise over their home base...

And it wouldn't happen again for quite some time.
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #337 on: August 24, 2021, 12:40:32 AM »
Just a concept, but it some group in some backwards-ass country steps up, and actually does an action inside the US (you know, like when they killed all them new york folks...), I don't think anyone would really be all that surprised at a midnight sunrise over their home base...

And it wouldn't happen again for quite some time.

Wouldn't even need to be nuclear. Drop a dozen MOABs.

I believe we were morally justified in dropping the hammer on Iraq and Afghanistan. The actual execution was an absolute flusterlcuck.
We should have rained hellfire and damnation on any and all we could ID as associated with terrorism and all their military *expletive deleted*it with the instruction that they are free to do whatever they want inside their own country.  But, If they extend their barbarity beyond their borders we come back, kill the leadership again and break all their *expletive deleted*it again as many times as it takes to get the point across. The total shitshow dumpster fire Biden et al. has  created in Afghanistan is the end result of not having adult supervision.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #338 on: August 24, 2021, 06:33:08 AM »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #339 on: August 24, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »
The thing is war is good business, for some, believe it or not. Perpetual war is REALLY good, winning fast and going home is for suckers. The nonsense will only end when We the People realize that the real enemies are within (or above) our very own political institutions.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #340 on: August 24, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
The thing is war is good business, for some, believe it or not. Perpetual war is REALLY good, winning fast and going home is for suckers. The nonsense will only end when We the People realize that the real enemies are within (or above) our very own political institutions.

Yup.
https://theintercept.com/2021/08/16/afghanistan-war-defense-stocks/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #341 on: August 24, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
How much fuel is at Kabel airport. 

Seeing quite a few tankers flying in the area today, more than I've seen at any one time in the past few days.
Kabul has probably been sucked dry or close to it.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:55:27 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #343 on: August 24, 2021, 11:01:02 AM »
Whatever Joe Biden has, it's apparently contagious.  :rofl:

Well someone is claiming the vaccine causes Alzheimer's
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #345 on: August 24, 2021, 11:55:39 AM »

I've learned to not trust anything said or promoted by those who influenced, advised or were part of any presidential cabinet since GHB or that have any ties to mainstream conservative media.

Conservative media is pretty much the media wing of the military industrial complex IMHO. For some time now all mainstream media has been running cover for military adventurism.

Anyone with ties to the neocons is suspect, they're open borders globalists and warmongers.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:51:12 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
Taliban says no to Americans in Afghanistan after 31 August and Joe says ok…. :facepalm:

If anyone hesitated to try and get out, you now have a drop dead date……

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2021, 03:42:25 PM »
Just read we are already pulling troops out and anyone still there in 72 hours is on their own. I'm not sure I can read about this anymore. I'm glad all my friends kids and grandkids are already out of the desert.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #348 on: August 24, 2021, 03:45:00 PM »
Taliban says no to Americans in Afghanistan after 31 August and Joe says ok…. :facepalm:

If anyone hesitated to try and get out, you now have a drop dead date……

It appears the G7 may have something to say to 46 about that. Sad times indeed when the EU steps up as the American president cowers.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #349 on: August 24, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »
It appears the G7 may have something to say to 46 about that. Sad times indeed when the EU steps up as the American president cowers.

Obama proudly called that "Leading From Behind". Any surprise his former VP does the same?

Nancy P will be along shorty to tell us again how decisive Biden leadership has been.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 05:42:40 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes