Author Topic: Colon's Toilet Blows Up - Local woman angry  (Read 824 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Colon's Toilet Blows Up - Local woman angry
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:32:26 PM »
Local woman angry over CMUD's response to exploding toilet

08:17 AM EST on Friday, February 24, 2006

By TONY BURBECK / 6NEWS
E-mail Tony: TBurbeck@WCNC.com

Linky here: http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/022306ccklrWCNC-jmn-sewage.58d1c1dc.html

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities (CMUD) said it is not responsible for cleaning up the mess from a sewer line that exploded inside a family's home damaging nearly everything inside.

Now a local mother and the utility are disagreeing over who's responsible for the smelly mess and how it should be cleaned up.

CMUD said what happened in the woman's bathroom was the result of grease neighbors poured down the drain. They said the grease built up over time, until what usually goes down came up unexpectedly.

"We heard a thump," said Marilyn Colon.

The next thing she knew her toilet exploded.  Shocked

"Feces, urine, oil& &it went all through the house," said Colon.

Colon described what she saw.

"You can see where the pressure from the water lifted the toilet bowl," she explained.

She also described the smell.

"You couldn't breathe, your eyes would tear," she said.

She's still dealing with what happened.

"I lost everything," said Colon.

Colon and her landlord called CMUD for help and that's where a messy story became complicated.

Legally, CMUD said it doesn't have to provide cleanup services but they do it anyways. CMUD contacted their insurance adjustor. A cleaning company came and a restoration company is waiting to repair the floors.

They gave Colon a contract to install a valve to prevent another mess, but she said she and her landlord won't give the OK.

She said that would let CMUD off the hook and she claims air ducts and floor boards were not cleaned.

"My home is contaminated," she said.

CMUD said the grease people poured into drains blocked the sewer.

"It's the city's duty to clean the pipes," said Colon. "It hasn't been cleaned in a long time."

CMUD said its last sewer backup in the area was in 1990.

Crews cleaned the line Monday. Now Colon and her six year old daughter are staying at a neighbor's house trying to figure out what to do next.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 01:07:54 PM »
Here name is Colon?! Smiley  She finds herself in a pretty shi**y situation...
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »
I can see this going somewhere very, very bad...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
You saw it coming, didn't you, Brad?

Okay, I posted a moderately foul joke, but couldn't let it stay.

Sorry.
Andy

esheato

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »
Unfortunately...I have experience with this.

It was a cool December day near Christmas 2001. I had left my apartment and went to my parents place for the holiday. I was with them approximately seven days when I had to return to pick up a firearm. My brothers and I hopped in my car and made the two and a half hour drive. I had invited them to come with me so we could do some shooting at the nearby long distance outdoor range. Enroute to my humble abode, I really had to urinate. Stepping into the gas pedal a bit, I expedited the final 30 minutes looking forward to relieving myself on some familiar ceramic. Upon arrival at my house, I jumped out of my vehicle, and quickly entered my house. My nostrils were assulted upon crossing the threshold. I thought to myself, "My God, I'm a stinky bastard...I should really clean up more often." As I was making my way to the bathroom, I failed to notice the massive water stain down the hall and into the living room nor the wet squishy carpet underneath my feet. I stepped onto the bathroom lineoleum floor as I simultaneously clicked on the light. My feet sank into nearly a half inch of fecal matter/urine/water/etc while I tried to hold down my lunch and maintain my balance. *expletive deleted*it covered linoleum floors tend to be a bit slick. Wink  As I'm holding onto the towel rack to keep from falling, my brothers come up to the house and I can hear them bitching already. It wasn't more than a few seconds before the camera comes out....I won't share the pictures. Wink

Long story short, somebody was dumping grease down the drain. Being that I was on the bottom floor and the end of the building...the blockage was just past my toilet.....while I was out of town, everyones sewage dumped into my house. There was a line around the inside of the tub....3/4 up to the top that was made of.....well, ya know. The only thing that wasn't covered in crap was the sink....and I almost puked in that.

The manager came and assisted with cleanup...then paid for a carpet company to come and sterilize it. The carpet was also replaced.

I don't dump grease down the drain. I wouldn't wish that situation upon anyone.

Ed