Author Topic: World Power Swings Back To America  (Read 7355 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
World Power Swings Back To America
« on: October 25, 2011, 04:46:07 AM »
You've heard it here first.

I've long thought something like this would happen. I'm hoping we'll see more and more articles on the coming American Rebound.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: World Power Swings Back To America
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:54:47 AM »
Well, there is a difference between us doing something great and imploding slower and sucking slightly less than everyone else which is what I would attribute much of the coming relative power shift. That said, our wartime economy might get a boost, when China finally well and truly fails I don't see it being a quiet event. That's a 50 story economic house of cards built on a faultline.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Well, there is a difference between us doing something great and imploding slower and sucking slightly less than everyone else which is what I would attribute much of the coming relative power shift. That said, our wartime economy might get a boost, when China finally well and truly fails I don't see it being a quiet event. That's a 50 story economic house of cards built on a faultline by the lowest bidder.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
The hell with the lowest bidder.  Likely it was the most politically connected bidder and he used cheap materials to increase profits. 

The article in the OP must be assuming Obama will lose and conservative Republicans will get control of Congress.   :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
Does "72pc" mean 72%?  'Cause that would be a Britishism I've never heard before.

And I could use a little help with my British English, because the computer I'm using right now is apparently English, and keeps correcting my hardy, Websterite spellings, telling me to add extra u's and what-not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
Concluding paragraph:
Yet America retains a pack of trump cards, and not just in sixteen of the world’s top twenty universities.

It is almost the only economic power with a fertility rate above 2.0 - and therefore the ability to outgrow debt - in sharp contrast to the demographic decay awaiting Japan, China, Korea, Germany, Italy, and Russia.

Europe's EMU soap opera has shown why it matters that America is a genuine nation, forged by shared language and the ancestral chords of memory over two centuries, with institutions that ultimately work and a real central bank able to back-stop the system.

The 21st Century may be American after all, just like the last.

The bolded portion is for those who find "we'll outbreed you" to be a laughable strategy. Keep laughin'.  :P

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »
The US is not on the road to anything great.

Given the current political divisiveness that we see every day, I have no hope for a strong country.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
Europe's EMU soap opera has shown why it matters that America is a genuine nation, forged by shared language and the ancestral chords of memory over two centuries, with institutions that ultimately work and a real central bank able to back-stop the system.

Did longeyes get some prozac and start writing for the Brits?  :laugh:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »

Given the current political divisiveness that we see every day, I have no hope for a strong country.

It ain't the political divisiveness. We're gonna need to see some political divisiveness, if we're to root out the anti-American influence from our policy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »
The trade-weighted dollar has been sliding for a decade, falling 37pc since 2001.

Given the byzantine nature of and plain dishonesty regarding gov't inflation stats, this metric is one of the few that can't be bent/folded/mutilated by fed.gov. 

Put another way, if you are one of the few who doubled their salary in the last 11 years, 37% of that increase in global purchasing power was eaten up by inflation.  If you held on to $100 cash since 2011, it is now worth 63 2011 dollars.  If you had invested in something that made ~3.5% return since 2001, in actuality you made zero dollars.  If you made...oh, hell, you get the idea.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »

We have had political divisiveness ever since George Washington decided that 8 years was enough.  That is nothing new at all.  

The last thing I want to see is Republicans and Democrats holding hands and agreeing on legislation.  It normally means we are about to get screwed.

(oops, it should be divisiveness)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:57:45 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
We have had political decisiveness ever since George Washington decided that 8 years was enough.  That is nothing new at all. 
What is new, for me anyway, is the rhetorical flips. The exact same language used to diss the Tea Parties on their formation is used on the OWS people, with added reference to smelly hippies. The exact language used to say Clinton was going to declare martial law and suspend elections was used in the last year of Bush. The exact same complaints about Bush were used by the other party to describe Obama.

It's like watching the same play over and over, where the cast of characters switches places but the lines all stay the same.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
Concluding paragraph:
The bolded portion is for those who find "we'll outbreed you" to be a laughable strategy. Keep laughin'.  :P

Maybe it's time to re-screen Idiocracy=D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
What is new, for me anyway, is the rhetorical flips. The exact same language used to diss the Tea Parties on their formation is used on the OWS people, with added reference to smelly hippies. The exact language used to say Clinton was going to declare martial law and suspend elections was used in the last year of Bush. The exact same complaints about Bush were used by the other party to describe Obama.

It's like watching the same play over and over, where the cast of characters switches places but the lines all stay the same.
IMO, that is less the politicians and more the really lazy, crappy, sell out media. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
Did longeyes get some prozac and start writing for the Brits?  :laugh:

You've got the wrong Longeyes, pal.  My view is that America unshackled could rebound, but it took 50 years or more to fetter the giant, and it will take convulsion to break those bonds. 

There is a lot more to economic advance than birth rate.  If that were the case Muslim and African nations with family sizes of five to ten would rule the earth.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »

I've long thought something like this would happen. I'm hoping we'll see more and more articles on the coming American Rebound.

Yea, it's a market correction.  Happens all the time.  US will be around for a while, unless we go full retard. 

I figured this out back in the Army.  See, the US Army is corrupt (moreso from politician driven pork), unorganized and stupid.  It really is.  But, when I worked alongside about two dozen other militaries, I saw that we were about a dozen times less corrupt, unorganized and stupid than the competition. 

You don't need to outrun the lion.  Just the other guy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
You're right.  Greece is still around.

But where is Pericles?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
OK, so we will be King of the Rubble.

The US may in fact keep above other countries with natural gas and shale oil but so what. It's still a slow molasses crawl into the ground. I highly doubt that the standard of living built on cheap, easy to extract, high quality oil during the 20th century will be saved. I don't believe that natural gas and 2nd class oil fields will boost industry and economy into the perpetual growth that is required to support our debt-based monetary system. The good ol' days will NOT be coming back. 

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »
OK, so we will be King of the Rubble.

The US may in fact keep above other countries with natural gas and shale oil but so what. It's still a slow molasses crawl into the ground. I highly doubt that the standard of living built on cheap, easy to extract, high quality oil during the 20th century will be saved. I don't believe that natural gas and 2nd class oil fields will boost industry and economy into the perpetual growth that is required to support our debt-based monetary system. The good ol' days will NOT be coming back. 

I would agree.  Except that's ridiculous. 

US made its jump in the 20th century due vast grown in manufacturing, productivity and technology.  We made SOME strides in our national energy production obviously, as in 1899, we didn't have massive hydrocarbon burning aircraft and cars.  So keep in mind, we used oil because it was cheap and easy.  If it's not cheap and easy, we'll use something else. 

If we had enough cheap and easy electricity (plus a lot of chemistry and physics nerds), we can manufacture synthetic hydrocarbons out of air.  if you think I'm insane, you're not familiar with removing nitrogen from the air for fertilizer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_nitrogen_plant 

Build a cluster of modern nuclear power plants in the middle of nowhere, use fractional distillation to break air down into components, and then recombine into complex hydrocarbons as necessary.  If we were smart enough to move in that direction, we'd curb stomp the entire world while making money hand over fist.  Easy?  Nope.  But sooner or later, we may have to move in that direction.  Key is to start the research now and change the laws to facilitate a transition in that direction.  Folks will do it on their own accord and dime.  We just need to make it easier by removing the obstacles.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
I would agree.  Except that's ridiculous. 

US made its jump in the 20th century due vast grown in manufacturing, productivity and technology.  We made SOME strides in our national energy production obviously, as in 1899, we didn't have massive hydrocarbon burning aircraft and cars.  So keep in mind, we used oil because it was cheap and easy.  If it's not cheap and easy, we'll use something else. 

If we had enough cheap and easy electricity (plus a lot of chemistry and physics nerds), we can manufacture synthetic hydrocarbons out of air.  if you think I'm insane, you're not familiar with removing nitrogen from the air for fertilizer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_nitrogen_plant 

Build a cluster of modern nuclear power plants in the middle of nowhere, use fractional distillation to break air down into components, and then recombine into complex hydrocarbons as necessary.  If we were smart enough to move in that direction, we'd curb stomp the entire world while making money hand over fist.  Easy?  Nope.  But sooner or later, we may have to move in that direction.  Key is to start the research now and change the laws to facilitate a transition in that direction.  Folks will do it on their own accord and dime.  We just need to make it easier by removing the obstacles.

Where do I send money to invest in the "RevDisk Cryongenic Oil Plant and Nuke Farm".   Seriously.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »
Where do I send money to invest in the "RevDisk Cryongenic Oil Plant and Nuke Farm".   Seriously.

You'd need a couple billion.  10-20% for building, 80-90% for bribes/donations and lawyers.

BUT, I have something in the works that I think might help.  Long term project, obviously, but I honestly do think it would be of significant help. 

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
Unfortunately, the illegals are part of the practical answer to climb out of the fiscal hole we have dug ourselves into.  But we really need to re-evaluate getting involved with military actions (revolutions).  Iraq and Afghanistan will prove beyond any doubt that we did not get much "return" for our blood, sweat, and riches.  Iraq is going to turn into another Iran and Afghanistan is going to be the way it has always been.  I really hope I'm wrong about Iraq.  I predict we rebuild Libya next. How about another trillion in debt?  As Trump says, we need to extract some form of payment if we get involved.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
Illegals are a net drain, according to many studies.  Cultural impact aside, believing that we are going to rebound to greatness by embracing tens of millions of the people who have been occupying America is a suicidal fantasy. 

We're not alone, though.  Europe apparently has the same fantasy--and it is governed by the same elites.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.