Author Topic: One Marine gets it ... another doesn't  (Read 1998 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
One Marine gets it ... another doesn't
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/marines-gun-control-ireport/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

So Marine #2 (DiOrio) thinks the fact we have a strong army (military) now means "the People" don't need to be armed. And this man called the other Marine "an embarrassment to those who've served." It seems to me that DiOrio's education was sorely deficient in the Civics and American History area, and if anyone is an embarrassment to those who have served, it is he.

He is so unaware that he doesn't even know the Bushmaster used in Newtown was NOT an "assault weapon," because Connecticut still has an assault weapons ban in force and the Bushy was purchased legally in Connecticut.

Typically, the rule is "Once a Marine, always a Marine." I respect those Marine friends of mine who are no longer on active or reserve duty to still refer to them as "Marines," not "ex-Marines." This DiOrio dude, though, is an ex-Marine. He is undeserving of the title United States Marine.

It's interesting, and possibly instructive, that the photo of Boston shows him with a rifle, and the photo of DiOrio shows him with a camera. I suspect DiOrio was a REMF, which devalues his opinion in comparison to that of a man who has likely been in combat.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:11:33 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: One Marine gets it ... another doesn't
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
It's interesting, and possibly instructive, that the photo of Boston shows him with a rifle, and the photo of DiOrio shows him with a camera. I suspect DiOrio was a REMF, which devalues his opinion in comparison to that of a man who has likely been in combat.

You never know.  Given the pretty ignorant statements by GEN (ret.) McChrystal last week you can never tell about someone's career based on their politics.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »
You never know.  Given the pretty ignorant statements by GEN (ret.) McChrystal last week you can never tell about someone's career based on their politics.

Yes, elitism isn't uncommon in any number of professions where people decide they're more "speshul" than others.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »

Speaking of embarrassing those who've served. In the words of Jayne Cobb, you might wanna reconsider that last part.

(I was Army infantry, FWIW. Didn't see combat.)

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:01:13 AM »
A few election cycles ago the D's were floating some General as either a Pres or VP choice, I cant remember his name but he was on record saying "if you want to play with assault weapons join the military"

Wesly Clarke maybe?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:46:58 AM »

Say again?

Well in that case I guess I'll just take my Predators and go home. Oh, and I guess you don't need those Shadows, Rivetjoints, Airhammers, Globalhawks, Spectres, Apaches or Warthogs either. Have fun assaulting that mountain valley village blind and unsupported.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:35 AM »

Speaking of embarrassing those who've served. In the words of Jayne Cobb, you might wanna reconsider that last part.

Yeah, but I'll bet you were issued a rifle, not a camera. This dude is another Al Gore -- wasn't he a photographer in the Army?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »
So now combat photographer is an MOS not worth pride? I know some of them who have seen as much *expletive deleted*it as grunts

They carried rifles, too
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 07:54:16 AM »

Was there combat for you to see?  Lots of grunts got sent during shooting wars/police actions/political excursions to places where nobody was shooting at them.  But there will always be a need for someone to walk guard around x - even if it is 10,000 miles away from where the shooting is taking place.

To me the biggest question has always been: "Are you willing to go outside the wire if your turn comes up?"  No need to actually shoot, if you would rather not.  Just don't run away.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »

They also serve who  stand and wait - or walk guard around something 10,000 miles from the shooting.

(That scared me so much that I could not fall asleep for days (well, night, actually) after seeing it as we drove past.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
Uh, OK. I went to Bosnia, but it was pretty quiet at the time. Thanks for the kind words.  =)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
Say again?

Well in that case I guess I'll just take my Predators and go home. Oh, and I guess you don't need those Shadows, Rivetjoints, Airhammers, Globalhawks, Spectres, Apaches or Warthogs either. Have fun assaulting that mountain valley village blind and unsupported.

Amen. 

If you've never read the poem, for want of a nail, you should.  Honestly, every damn grunt should have to read it and understand it before they graduate combat training.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail_(proverb)

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
Cool, never saw that before.

bscl

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:59:05 PM »
Travis Haley, who was Magpul's CEO for a while and is now behind Haley Strategic, is also a retired Marine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIGzj6eIwWU&feature=youtube_gdata

...and gets it.  He's also a very positive guy and so it's great to have guys like him speaking on our behalf, in a non-Ted Nugent (i.e., easily painted as a lunatic) kind of way. 
Life Member NRA, SAF

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36:44 PM »
I'm not surprised at all.  When I was the RO at Seal Beach NWS I had plenty of active duty and reserve folks say "What do you mean I have to shoot guns?!?  I just enlisted for the educational benefits!"

They were not happy with my response and I kicked more than one off my range for being an idiot.  Not listening, thinking they knew the 4 rules and then breaking them even after warnings, arguing with me over scoring.  I never had a Commanding Officer have a problem after the security tapes, targets or witness statements were reviewed.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
I recall requals with the .45 in the Navy. They gave us a .45 and 5 rounds of ammo. The range looked like your average plinking range with various pieces of debris scattered about to shoot at and a big hill farther back about 200-300 yds. So the guy next to me, an older E-5 says, "I hate this *expletive deleted*it!" And proceeds to close his eyes, turn his head and empty the gun downrange. I watched the puffs of his rounds walk their way up the hill. I'm thinking, "Well, there's one guy you can't count on if the *expletive deleted*it hits the fan."  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
I recall requals with the .45 in the Navy. They gave us a .45 and 5 rounds of ammo. The range looked like your average plinking range with various pieces of debris scattered about to shoot at and a big hill farther back about 200-300 yds. So the guy next to me, an older E-5 says, "I hate this *expletive deleted*!" And proceeds to close his eyes, turn his head and empty the gun downrange. I watched the puffs of his rounds walk their way up the hill. I'm thinking, "Well, there's one guy you can't count on if the *expletive deleted* hits the fan."  ;/

In my unit, he'd be processed the *expletive deleted*ck out of the military
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
Yea, he wouldn't have been much of a loss as far as I was concerned.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
They also serve who  stand and wait - or walk guard around something 10,000 miles from the shooting.

(That scared me so much that I could not fall asleep for days (well, night, actually) after seeing it as we drove past.)

stay safe.

And some of us just snuck(sneaked?) around in the cold, dark and deep. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams