Author Topic: Apex Tactical J Frame Trigger Kit in my s&w 438  (Read 1791 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Apex Tactical J Frame Trigger Kit in my s&w 438
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
Very nice!  https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid49.html Easy to install watching a youtube video from them:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUfmg1JulE&feature=channel_video_title

The kit consists of all new springs and a new firing pin.  It didn't smooth it out that I can tell, but mine is very broken in so it was reasonably smooth to begin with.  It did take a couple of lbs off of the trigger weight.  I really like it!

Took me 15 minutes to install since it was my first time in the lockwork on a s&w.  I also took a buffing wheel on the dremel to the contact sides of the return slide to smooth it up some within that 15 minutes.  

I haven't shot it yet, I have this gun out of the CCW rotation until I can give it a good test at the range.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:25:18 PM by 41magsnub »

41magsnub

• friend
Re: Apex Tactical J Frame Trigger Kit in my s&w 438
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
I decided I didn't have anything else to do tonight so I headed for the range.  I put 50rds of Blazer wadcutters and shot out my carry load of 10 135gr Gold Dots with no failures.  Best groups I've ever shot with this little gun.  I'm very happy with this kit.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
I'm a big fan of Apex parts in my M&Ps.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:30 PM »
I have one of the m&p45 kits on the way for that gun.  I have a Burwell job on my m&p40 that I like too but want to see how the two compare.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »
Let us know how it works.

I always read that changing springs for lighter in a revolver is asking for light strike misfires. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »
It's not quite that simple.  Changing to a too-lite hammer spring in a rough gun will cause light strikes, but changing to a moderately light hammer spring and a moderately light rebound spring in a smooth gun may not harm reliability and significantly lighten the trigger.

The idea is balance.  Don't go too light and offset the lighter springs with some polishing and lubing (be careful here as well).

The GP100 I used to own was extremely light and smooth, but it took more than just springs to get there.

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
Apex Tactical M&P45 Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
The M&P45 Duty carry kit Is equally as awesome as the j frame kit if not more so.  It is slightly stiffer than but just as smooth now as the m&p40 that has a Burwell trigger job.  Put 100rds through it tonight of WWB with no malfs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:03:21 PM by 41magsnub »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
Waiting for my Apex kit for my 9mm M&P FS. I've got a DCAEK and a RAM on the way.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!