Author Topic: We Don't Have To Take $4 Gas Prices  We Can Drill  (Read 12524 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: We Don't Have To Take $4 Gas Prices  We Can Drill
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 04:32:44 AM »
The only lawsuits that actually have serious cash at stake are the ones involving damages due to spills.

The VAST majority of damages dough oil companies and shipping companies pay out after a spill go to various Federal and State natural resource funds. I guarantee the gov will not stop collecting these funds from the Responsible Party after a spill, so no help to consumers by eliminating lawsuits. The oil companies pay to keep an entire branch (OSPR, Office of Spill Prevention and Response) of the CA State govt employed, and they are the best funded branch with the most toys. You'll not be seeing that end anytime soon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
I was responding to this from Manedwolf:

Well, that's absolutely incorrect. The greenies file lawsuit after lawsuit until the oil companies can't even make a profit, and give up.

The only lawsuits that actually have serious cash at stake are the ones involving damages due to spills.  I guess if we prohibited anyone from suing oil companies for damages due to spills they would save money, but would they pass that on to the consumer?

Google isn't terribly good at yielding trends in the judiciary, I'm afraid.

Again, lawsuits bankrupting oil companies was not mentioned.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 06:18:28 AM »
I was responding to this from Manedwolf:

Well, that's absolutely incorrect. The greenies file lawsuit after lawsuit until the oil companies can't even make a profit, and give up.

The only lawsuits that actually have serious cash at stake are the ones involving damages due to spills.  I guess if we prohibited anyone from suing oil companies for damages due to spills they would save money, but would they pass that on to the consumer?

Google isn't terribly good at yielding trends in the judiciary, I'm afraid.

It's not just lawsuits.  It's getting every .gov agency involved and demanding hearing after report after study after hearing after report after study after hearing after report.  Death by a thousand cuts.

see  http://www.refineryreform.org/   for how it's done.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 06:27:59 AM »

Bingo.  The biggest goal of greenie lawsuits is not to get money.  It's not even to cost the oil companies significant amounts of legal fees.  It's to cause delays.  Delay, delay, delay.  Protest about this or that semi-endangered animal.  If the oil company proposes building more habitat in a 2 for 1 swap, go for a 10 to 1.

Time = money.  Make it painful enough the company will either go away to somewhere more profitable or just give up because that particular path isn't economically exploitable.

Kinda like how many nuclear plants ended up costing billions more - the greenies could shut down construction with a simple letter, sometimes for weeks.  Meanwhile construction crews sat idle, the opening of the plant and the subsequent selling of power delayed, etc...

Scout26 has it.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
As I was munching on a burger at Culver's yesterday, CNN was reporting that the reserves in the ANWR would provide between three months to two year's worth of crude at our current consumption rate of 7 billion barrels/year. The ANWR estimates range from somewhere between 1.9 billion to possibly as much as 16 billion barrels. Of course, their three-month/two year math discounts other sources of oil in the U.S., but it's still a relative drop in the bucket. 10 years to drill and pump, for a small drink of oil to feed a thirsty nation.  Interesting, and almost in the Chinese meaning of the word. 

And if we had started the work on ANWR back when it was proposed, over ten years ago, that oil would be flowing as we pound on our keyboards...

Besides, drilling in ANWR is less about the oil under ANWR than it is about attitude.  As long as the green weenies rule the roost and keep it from happening, every other agent in the energy industry (from producers, to refiners, to speculators) know that we are not yet serious about any new production or exploiting known resources, such as the tar sands, oil shale, or the oil in the Gulf of Mexico (that Cuba will have no problem drilling for).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »
The only lawsuits that actually have serious cash at stake are the ones involving damages due to spills.

The VAST majority of damages dough oil companies and shipping companies pay out after a spill go to various Federal and State natural resource funds. I guarantee the gov will not stop collecting these funds from the Responsible Party after a spill, so no help to consumers by eliminating lawsuits. The oil companies pay to keep an entire branch (OSPR, Office of Spill Prevention and Response) of the CA State govt employed, and they are the best funded branch with the most toys. You'll not be seeing that end anytime soon.

Agreed-which makes the rumors about lawsuits shutting down oil companies even more puzzling.

Rocketman,

We must be reading that differently.  I understand "can't make a profit" to mean "oil companies spend more than they make", which would mean insolvency...
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
Oil-Company = everything from ExxonMobil/Shell/Texaco to "Bubba's Three Gallon A Week Pump Out On The Back Forty"

All those enviro-weenie tactics are designed to delay and drive up the cost of exploration and production.

Just who ultimately pays for it ?? .......at the pump.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.