Author Topic: We haz Tim Hortons now.  (Read 2412 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
We haz Tim Hortons now.
« on: July 11, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
They opened their first store in our area, just a few weeks ago. They're supposed to be opening about 40 more stores around here(StL).  :O  Seeing as how we just got Dunkin Donuts back a few years ago, it looks like we'll have no shortage of donut shops.

Wifey likes to find new places, so I kidnapped her and drove her there this morning. She'd never heard of 'em.

The chow was pretty good.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: We haz Tim Hortons now.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
None around here, but when I have been in Canada the donuts are better the coffee is similar and the food was good. I do see DD is offering more and more food type items.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »
They belong to Burger King now, no telling what will be showing up on the breakfast menu. Maybe something along the lines of a whopper without the top bun and covered with poutine. You never know what wackiness may come out of that marriage. ;)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
What style of donuts do they offer? I don't care for the Dunkin Donuts style at all.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:44:58 PM »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 01:05:31 AM »
I've also never understood the appeal of DD. We only got one in town in the past decade or so. It was a thing in CT, but my grandparents weren't the eating out type, nor did they bring home donuts, so I never had much exposer to the brand (hell, I've never even been in one of their stores) until I started working at the kennel. The bosses occasionally go get donuts and such.

The donuts aren't bad, but, IMHO, nothing to write home about either. I'm guessing the larger appeal is to coffee people.

I think Cville had a Starbucks before we had DD. Since I never really did Starbucks, DD wasn't really in my radar. If I wanted coffee or tea, I went to the local coffee joint, The Mudhouse.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »
Glad I'm not the only DD non-worshiper.  The donuts are boring.  Coffee is good though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »
I don't remember anything special about DD either.  My one experience with Tim Hortons was a visit to Canada Ontario and Tim Hortons seemed like the only thing open in the morning and they were everywhere.  The donuts were okay and they didn't have large sodas (may have been a Canada thing).  I was looking for breakfast like McDonalds and I don't remember them having it.  Could be we just couldn't wait.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »
I was looking for breakfast like McDonalds and I don't remember them having it.  Could be we just couldn't wait.

I had a wrap w/ chorizo & such. It was good. Drippy, but good. The donuts were good. I don't know what the difference would be between DD and TH donuts. I'm just glad they're not Krummy Kreme.

A few months ago, we went to Vincent Van Donut; a high-end place in the high-end part of town. The toppings on the donuts were really good, but the donuts themselves were just dry and bland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
I'm not gaga over Dunkin' Donuts either. They're not bad at all, quite decent actually, but just not, "Must go there at all costs". If there's a Starbucks and a Dunkin Donuts next to each other, I'll go to the DD (same if there's a Krispy Kreme next to the DD). If there's a DD and a local donut place next to each other, I'll likely go to the local place, especially if it's run by Asians.

I think the best donuts in the world are made by Mrs Hing. I've gone well out of my way on road trips to stop by. It's like wisely choosing the crummy looking chalice in Indiana Jones.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hing-donuts-bishop
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 02:32:02 PM »
I'll likely go to the local place, especially if it's run by Asians

Best donuts I had in CA were from the Cambodian-run shops. Even in Sonora, where I'm fairly sure the local donut-peddler was the only Cambodian in town.

My experience with "high-end" donut shops matches that of fistful. Great frosting/toppings, meh-to-poor donuts. The owner/operators tend to have a bit of an attitude too. I asked one if they did discounts for buying several dozen at once. Guy looked at me like I had a stalk growing out of my forehead and pointed at his "1 Donut = $X" sign.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »
Best donuts I had in CA were from the Cambodian-run shops. Even in Sonora, where I'm fairly sure the local donut-peddler was the only Cambodian in town.

My experience with "high-end" donut shops matches that of fistful. Great frosting/toppings, meh-to-poor donuts. The owner/operators tend to have a bit of an attitude too. I asked one if they did discounts for buying several dozen at once. Guy looked at me like I had a stalk growing out of my forehead and pointed at his "1 Donut = $X" sign.

Ducks does not have that problem. Cake batter and deep fried. The toppings are just compounding the sin.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
My favorite place for donuts used to be Schnucks, one of the local full-service grocery chains. Sadly, they have a record of fighting pro-gun legislation.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
I'll likely go to the local place

^This.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
Tim Horton's reported in StL 24 hours ago and no pics of an entire precinct of cop cars parked out front?  Sounds like a failure of those vaunted fusion centers to share the intelligence.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
Spudnuts is the best donuts. Sadly there isn't very many of them left in the US.

http://www.spudnutinfo.com/

Had one in my home town, used to love to get hot fresh glazed donuts from there, sadly when the owner wanted to retire none of his kids wanted to take over the business so he closed up shop.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
Spudnuts is the best donuts. Sadly there isn't very many of them left in the US.

http://www.spudnutinfo.com/

Had one in my home town, used to love to get hot fresh glazed donuts from there, sadly when the owner wanted to retire none of his kids wanted to take over the business so he closed up shop.

We have one of those. :)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
I've only ever had homemade spudnuts, but I do love me some. ooooh, just went to that link and there's a donut shop in my town here that sells them. I'll have to try them out.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 11:26:20 PM »
Here's the problem with DD and probably 'eh Tim's too. All the doughnuts come to the store frozen and are brought back to life in a microwave. that's the story according to my little sister who worked at a DD. In Virginia Beach there are several krispy Kreme stores that fry the doughnuts there. Much better, also much better than a gas station KK.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 12:07:32 AM »
Here's the problem with DD and probably 'eh Tim's too. All the doughnuts come to the store frozen and are brought back to life in a microwave. that's the story according to my little sister who worked at a DD. In Virginia Beach there are several krispy Kreme stores that fry the doughnuts there. Much better, also much better than a gas station KK.

Between freshly made blah donuts and frozen, but very good, donuts, I choose the latter.