Author Topic: Remington keeps up with the joneses, oops mossberg.  (Read 2629 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Remington keeps up with the joneses, oops mossberg.
« on: May 02, 2017, 02:43:19 AM »
looks quite nice, mossberg has the shockwave - i cant recall the mag capacity.
http://www.guns.com/2017/04/27/remington-debuts-14-inch-bbl-870-no-tax-stamp-needed-photos/
its beautiful, really beautiful.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Remington keeps up with the joneses, oops mossberg.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 04:41:05 AM »
Wonder what the ATF would say if you put an AR adapter and wrist brace on the back of that thing....

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:43:41 AM »
Wonder what the ATF would say if you put an AR adapter and wrist brace on the back of that thing....

If they honor what they have published, nothing.  That sounds like a pretty good HD rig.  Add your preferred shell carrier, and you would have a formidable set up.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:19:54 PM by Chris »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:47:34 AM »
Not a problem unless you add the shoulder thing that goes up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
No thanks.

Small pistol grip shotguns are a gold plated bitch to deal with from any number of standpoints. They're hard as hell to point effectively (can't tell you how many people I've seen shoot the floor, ceiling, or walls trying to use one at the range over the years).

That little boomstick would, I think, also contribute to "I am Sweeperman!" syndrome, in which someone so armed feels that he's got all that he needs to sweep his own home if he believes there's an intruder. 

I'll stick with my cruiser shotgun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
I picked up a pistol grip for my 870 several years ago.
Don't remember the brand but it's a bigger name.
I installed it with my 18" barrel mounted, walked down to my range and ran 5 rounds of 00 through it.
Walked back up to the house, took it off, put the factory wood stock back on and tossed it into my "box-O-gun stuff"
There it sits to this day.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »
No thanks.

Small pistol grip shotguns are a gold plated bitch to deal with from any number of standpoints. They're hard as hell to point effectively (can't tell you how many people I've seen shoot the floor, ceiling, or walls trying to use one at the range over the years).

That little boomstick would, I think, also contribute to "I am Sweeperman!" syndrome, in which someone so armed feels that he's got all that he needs to sweep his own home if he believes there's an intruder. 

I'll stick with my cruiser shotgun.

Exactly.

Recoil alone would be much suckage, even with "reduced recoil" shells
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Forget that, in keeping with the "NFA is dumb, therefore this is just a 'firearm'" idea...taken one step further along the axis of awesome, the ORIGIN-12 SBV
https://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=147

Want.  Want want want want, want.

Just don't shoulder it, I guess.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
Forget that, in keeping with the "NFA is dumb, therefore this is just a 'firearm'" idea...taken one step further along the axis of awesome, the ORIGIN-12 SBV

You're allowed to shoulder them again.  That's why I mentioned it in my post.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 09:45:48 AM »
I would be curious if either shotgun works with those 12 gauge mini-shells Aguila sells.  From what I have seen, the velocity is still good even though they have fewer pellets.  Might have some use anyway.  

It needs a lanyard to make it easier to hang under your shoulder.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
I picked up a pistol grip for my 870 several years ago.
Don't remember the brand but it's a bigger name.
I installed it with my 18" barrel mounted, walked down to my range and ran 5 rounds of 00 through it.
Walked back up to the house, took it off, put the factory wood stock back on and tossed it into my "box-O-gun stuff"
There it sits to this day.

Pretty much my experience.   I bought a Mossberg 500 which came with a detached pistol grip .... which I'd initially planned to install. The shottie was bought for defense purposes. Got the mossy home, which gave me plenty of time to consider shotguns I'd used and the recoil thing ....
The Mossy 500 came with synthetic stock & forend, the pistol grip is lost amongst stuff in a closet and the shotgun with its black plastic shoulder stock is in a corner, loaded & ready.  
Only alteration was a sidesaddle.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
Add a sling on the slide (like mossberg has) or a large handstop in front and I might be interested in one.
Ive never been interested in a pistol grip shotgun, but the shockwaves grip looks to be a lot more controllable.

https://www.mossberg.com/clint-smith-of-thunder-ranch-reviews-the-mossberg-590-shockwave/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
I had a 12 ga Mossberg Persuader that came with wood furniture and a long barrel AND the Zytel pistol grip and forend and an 18" barrel, all in one box from the factory. (it may have been a Walmart only deal as that's where it was purchased) I kept it in the Black Zytel furniture and 18" bbl configuration with the plug out and a tube full of the mini shells in #4 shot IIRC. My wife and I had no problems hip level point shooting it surprisingly accurately. I bought the whole kit for $300 from a friend who shot it once.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:25:38 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
That was my experience with an AK pistol.  It was fine at short range shooting from the hip.  Shooting it any other way, I didn't care for it.  I might try it again one day with the arm rest and a better muzzle brake/compensator to redirect some of the blast. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
I would be curious if either shotgun works with those 12 gauge mini-shells Aguila sells.  From what I have seen, the velocity is still good even though they have fewer pellets.  Might have some use anyway.  

It needs a lanyard to make it easier to hang under your shoulder.   =)

yes, the mini shells work, according to the NRA review
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/3/31/tested-mossberg-590-shockwave/

to me, this is just one of those guns that I just want.
pretty much just because old friends in NYC and San Francisco would ask me why I "need" that.

also, because it would look cool on a facebook video , i am sure a combat shotgun is more practical for real self defense scenarios though, so eventually I need one of those too
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
yes, the mini shells work, according to the NRA review
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/3/31/tested-mossberg-590-shockwave/

to me, this is just one of those guns that I just want.
pretty much just because old friends in NYC and San Francisco would ask me why I "need" that.

also, because it would look cool on a facebook video , i am sure a combat shotgun is more practical for real self defense scenarios though, so eventually I need one of those too
Plus, you have to have at least one gun you can wear under a trench coat in case the terminators start showing up.  Not to mention scaring liberals.  =D

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
IKR!

unpractical, probably uncomfortable, but sooooo cool looking in a holster on your belt.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

I had to study that picture for a bit to figure out what it was.  Then I saw the drum of 12 gauge shells.  Wow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
Some of you may remember I built my own a few years earlier when the "idea" first came out.

It's fun. I have the Tac-Sol mini-shell adapter for it, but mainly I just shoot my "birdslugs" through it. The blasting-fodder load I use for my Saiga 12s to keep 20 round drum mag dumps reasonably priced.

Once or twice used Federal bulk pack cheapo shotshells, whatever trap wads are on sale, whatever scrap lead I can find, as long as it pours and casts it's good, because the 1oz Lee Key-Drive Foster slug I mold is only .69 caliber and rides in a standard shot wad, no bore contact or leading to worry about. And I load it over a 209 primer, and 17gr of 700x Hi-Skor powder.

So it's a slug, but only 1oz of mass moving with what would otherwise be a trap loading, and very low pressure, since a solid slug doesn't squeeze or "bean bag" down and out to the sides of the bore like #7.5 or 8 shot would.

Since I ordered a 14" Mossberg 590 barrel with the ghost ring rifle sights on it, it's a bit more tempting to use it in "face smasher" mode, but with the push-pull hold it's not really that hard to control if you're used to 12ga in general.
I promise not to duck.