Author Topic: Gas headed for $10 gallon  (Read 15836 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Gas headed for $10 gallon
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 06:09:13 AM »
Thank goodness I won't have to deal with this problem. I was just out back shootin at some food and up through the ground came a bubblin crude!

Did you find the Internet directions to refine premium unleaded in your backyard still?   police

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 06:13:52 AM »
Jamis, that's the Baileys that you smell.....
One day at a time.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 07:12:46 AM »
It is rather unfortunate that our entire modern world runs on oil and oil products and relies on them being inexpensive, but... $10/gal would take more than a few months to happen, at least a year or more.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 08:59:34 AM »
One of the refineries here in Tulsa just started on an expanision project that will bring 2000+ constructions jobs and then 200 jobs after that.  The construction is to last about 2 years.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

taurusowner

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »
Why is it that every time the gas prices get high someone says "our government blah blah".

What exactly should our government have to do with the price of a freely bought and sold commodity?

You sir, are far smarter than most in this country.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
Because cheap gasoline is a right as an American!  Now don't make me put down my burritto and tell you again.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
Because cheap gasoline is a right as an American! 
Just like high-speed internet.
"It's in the constitution! You can't torture Americans with the painful slowness of dial-up!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 11:28:02 AM »
I don't know if it's a Constitutional right or not, but take my fiber optic from me and I guarantee you someone WILL be getting tortured until I get it back...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
Remember when the dims took over congress last year and made a big deal of fixing America in 100 days?  Well, lowering the price of gasoline was one of them...........................................they did a fine job.......chris3

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
I don't know if it's a Constitutional right or not, but take my fiber optic from me and I guarantee you someone WILL be getting tortured until I get it back...
"From my cold, dead, modem..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:50 PM »
Every time Paddy posts stuff like this, I wonder who is the bigger fear-monger.  Him, or Cheney Bush? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
Remember when the dims took over congress last year and made a big deal of fixing America in 100 days?  Well, lowering the price of gasoline was one of them...........................................they did a fine job.......chris3

They got us out of that costly and dastardly Iraq war, too.....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 02:42:38 AM »
I went on an errand yesterday and passed a gas station offering $3.86 for regular. Not bad, I thought.
44 minutes later on my way back, it was up to $3.91.
Highest I saw while out and about was $4.09 for a gallon of regular.
I filled up at $3.83.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 04:11:26 AM »
I got gas for my lawn mower- 2 gallons and I got gas for my boat tank-3 gallons. Total cost $19.95.

I remember when it was about that to fill up a vehicle.

$20 for five gallons of gasoline! I'm still amazed at how much I spent for how little I got.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 04:51:51 AM »
I got gas for my lawn mower- 2 gallons and I got gas for my boat tank-3 gallons. Total cost $19.95.

It's to the point that if they offered a heavy duty, 240V 18A lawnmower with a full width cutting blade I'd probably go for it.  Cheaper to run, probably last forever except for the blade.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 04:55:09 AM »

It's to the point that if they offered a heavy duty, 240V 18A lawnmower with a full width cutting blade I'd probably go for it.  Cheaper to run, probably last forever except for the blade.

I would not want to be pushing 240V anything around on possibly wet grass, especially if it was made by a lowest-bidder subcontractor in China. Would you, really?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 05:31:32 AM »
I would not want to be pushing 240V anything around on possibly wet grass, especially if it was made by a lowest-bidder subcontractor in China. Would you, really?

I've been using a 115v mower in wet and dry grass for 6-7 years now.  Dunno where mine was made, but it's a Black and Decker 18" model.  Works well as long as I keep the blade sharp (1-2 times a year is enough).

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:39 AM »

I've been using a 115v mower in wet and dry grass for 6-7 years now.  Dunno where mine was made, but it's a Black and Decker 18" model.  Works well as long as I keep the blade sharp (1-2 times a year is enough).

Chris

When we lived in Yuma we had an electric lawnmower.  BIL cut the grass for us one day and ran over the extension cord. FIL patched it, I still have that extension cord.
 grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »

1.  I don't mow when it's wet.
2.  240V isn't THAT much more dangerous than 120V
3.  240V can push almost double the wattage over any given gauge cord, or you can keep the gauge the same and run it further(useful for a lawnmower).
4.  It's done all the time over in Europe.  I saw a number of 240V models browsing sites over there
5.  I want a full size deck, preferably 24-26".  I admit that that'll take more wattage than can be easily pushed over a 120V extension cord.  Having to go with 12 gauge isn't as friendly.
6.  I wouldn't need to wear hearing protection(Yes, I know, I have a fancy collection of ear muffs for shooting, shouldn't be a big deal...)
7.  No need for gas, oil(maybe some grease), filters, etc...

I don't need a fancy type, but if they come up with a different design that cuts a nice wide swath with reduced power needs, I'd be all for it.  Also, I only mulch.  No need for the ability to bag.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 04:03:40 AM »
The local newspaper printed its now standard article about how we Americans really dont have anything to complain about when it comes to the price of gas compared to how expensive it is in other countries.

So, Iain, Viking and you others outside of the States&how much is it for petrol where you are?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 04:08:11 AM »
If we had a throughly cross linked transportation system like much of Europe, serving virtually the entire area quickly and efficiently, then we wouldn't have anything to complain about.

For many Americans, cars aren't a luxury. They're a frigging necessity because buses and commuter trains don't, and never have, come to Lower West Thumbsuck.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2008, 06:08:07 AM »

Read the comments, people have screwed up priorities. Sioux City has been on the economic down climb like much of Iowa becasue of the 1980's ag crisis and the 1990's meat packing consolidations.

Unbelievable isn't it? Hydrocarbon Chernobyl, rather work in a meat packing plant, say no to "Big Oil".
Those are the kind of clueless people who would rather let someone freeze to death than let them build a fire and maybe "destroy the environment".

The sad thing is, if you read other forums, other than forums of the caliber of this one, you'll generally find a preponderance of clueless emotional opinions as with those comments. Just check the forums at the bottom of the page on Amazon's Gold Box deals.

APS is an island in a sea of ignorance.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2008, 07:45:16 AM »
If we had a throughly cross linked transportation system like much of Europe, serving virtually the entire area quickly and efficiently, then we wouldn't have anything to complain about.

For many Americans, cars aren't a luxury. They're a frigging necessity because buses and commuter trains don't, and never have, come to Lower West Thumbsuck.

Those trains exist in Europe because of a level of taxation that amounts to wallet rape.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 07:48:10 AM »

Those trains exist in Europe because of a level of taxation that amounts to wallet rape.

Population densty is what makes them economical at all, even with tax dollars.  Wouldn't work in the Mid-West or West, unless folks were forcibly relocated into population centers.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."