Author Topic: It's official... Mtnbkr's daughter...  (Read 8526 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
It's official... Mtnbkr's daughter...
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »
Let's try to get this thread back to something resembling what Mike had in mind originally, mkay guys?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 05:36:31 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Blackburn, you're a pussy and I wouldn't be afraid to smack you around a bit.  Happy?

Not that it's any of your business, but I'm not afraid to spank my child when she willfully misbehaves.  I do not spank her for accidents.  There's a difference.  There's also a difference between spanking and beating.

If that doesn't work tell them theres a boogie man in the basement and he will come up and EAT them if they don't behave...
I'd try that, but I hang out in the basement.  What does that say about me?

Chris
Ditto.  If he said these things to my face, he'd get a punch in the mouth.  Kind of goes into your other thread about how people say things on the 'net.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 05:39:49 PM »
That daddy is the BOOGIE MAN!!! Wink
Blackburn, Sindawe, something is wrong with both of you.  Child abuse isn't at all funny. Until you're a parent, take your 'parenting techniques' and keep them to yourself.
Well, if you don't like 'em, don't read em.  Funny thing though, my neice and nephew are screaming monsters in their mothers home or in public, but when they come to MY home, they are as polite and pleasant visitors as any adult.  I guess there must be SOME method in my madness.
LOL, VERY funny.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 05:49:52 PM »
Let's try to get this thread back to something resembling what Mike had in mind originally, mkay guys?
Spoilsport. Wink

OK, Mike, how about you set limits for how mtnbkr's daughter behaves toward YOU.  Since you are not her parent, you don't have authority to control her behavior in general (unless mntbkr has granted you such power), but as owner of your body, you DO have the authority to control such when its directed at your person.  Two is old enough to understand the meaning of the word NO and that violations of behavior have consiquences.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 06:00:58 PM »
I am truly sorry that I brough this thread up. Not for the majority of you, but for the few pathetic reprobates who seem to condone violence against children.

Blackburn, I see you've edited several of your posts in this thread, including a rather large one that you deleted wholesale. What's with that? Won't even stand behind your crepitus?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2005, 06:43:59 PM »
I didn't come looking for sympathy, I came looking for help!
I've got three grandsons that are still burning off a sugar buzz from trick or treat candy. You'll have to fend for yourself until mtnbkr heals up.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 12:40:44 AM »
If that doesn't work tell them theres a boogie man in the basement and he will come up and EAT them if they don't behave...

You and the boogie man is pals? Cheesy

I'm hoping you KNOW I was just joking, my kids have never even heard of the "boogie man". I got the feeling blackburn was being "tongue in cheek" or at least I HOPE he was...

PS, i never raised so much as a hand to my kids no "spankings" no paddles on diapers. They all seem to be doing just fine and they all feel as though they can tell me anything. Which may be my greatest accomplishment.

Ah, Having gone to the link I think we can safely say blackburn was trying to be a funny guy. Unfortunately it looks like he stepped in a big pile of "Sith" instead. Sith happens. I can see the humor in it as long as we realize that was the TRUE intent. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 01:40:45 AM »
I'm hoping you KNOW I was just joking
Of course!

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005, 01:44:31 AM »
Oh good!

Cheesy

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 02:49:28 AM »
Um, wow.
One day at a time.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 03:08:53 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I guess you guys run up a lot of restraining orders from punching people willy-nilly.
Nope.  Most people have enough sense not to behave in the manner you condone.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 03:12:22 AM »
in case you came in late...

Blackburn originally posted the text only from link he posted later:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

Some of us thought it was his own writing

He later deleted the original post...

I thought about deleting a good portion of mine but, hey, it's good for everyone to know there are plenty of perspectives out there so I'll let it stand.  

FYI they made the mistake(s) of getting me a set of weights for Christmas and letting me join YMCA "Golden Gloves" boxing.   After a while they didn't try to beat on me very much anymore. I always said, mom taught me to fight... Wink

LMAO

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 03:12:42 AM »
Quote from: Sindawe
Spoilsport. Wink

OK, Mike, how about you set limits for how mtnbkr's daughter behaves toward YOU.  Since you are not her parent, you don't have authority to control her behavior in general (unless mntbkr has granted you such power), but as owner of your body, you DO have the authority to control such when its directed at your person.  Two is old enough to understand the meaning of the word NO and that violations of behavior have consiquences.
Now, see, you've said something that makes sense.  Your sense of humor is a little sick (okay, really *expletive deleted*ing awful).

I've found that my 2 year old really hates time outs.  He doesn't want to sit still for that long.
Yes, I swat his ass.  Ocassionally, I pop him on the back of the noggin.  Tough love when necessary.  Usually, though, that doesn't fase him.  He's built like a tank.
JD

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2005, 03:32:21 AM »
Yes, I swat his ass.  Ocassionally, I pop him on the back of the noggin.  Tough love when necessary.  Usually, though, that doesn't fase him. He's built like a tank.
Still LMAO...

As long as it doesn't go to the extremes I described. I'd maybe lay off the noggin' though. They are actually pretty delicate up there and you can rattle their little brains. You might be hurting them even though you think you're being easy. If you feel it's necessary the ass and the thigh are the "recommended" areas. Nothing too vital there. Me personally, I take pride in the fact when I told my kids no, there was no futher discussion. And the proper look on my face when they
were acting up let them know they were treading on thin ice. How did I do that? LEVERAGE!! (NOT BRIBERY) You find out what it is they feel is the most important thing in the whole world and you use that like an old shoe. "If you want to participate in such and such an activity then your behavoir, school grades, room cleanliness etc etc etc MUST improve." Period. Not "If you do this I'll give you that Barbie doll you want." And you must learn to adapt quickly because these things CHANGE quickly. Smiley

Time outs are worthless as far as I'm concerned. But a "rule of thumb" is one minute per year of age, because that's all the time their attention span lasts at each age.

IMHO a child who throws a *expletive deleted*it fit to get what it wants has LEARNED that this will
work.

Another IMHO: they start learning various ways to manipulate Mom and Dad from literally day 1 and continue to make an art of it as they grow into adults. You gotta be on your toes! Smiley

Just so you know, I got a "B" in that child psychology course I took... shocked

Cheesy

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2005, 03:43:06 AM »
An immediate whack to the noggin usually involves safety.  Keeping one from opening the oven when its set at 450* is usually a prority.
JD

280plus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2005, 03:45:22 AM »
Oh, I see, you're just trying to get his attention...

Cheesy

All I'm saying is be careful, they're easier to hurt than you think.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2005, 03:49:15 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Oh, I see, you're just trying to get his attention...

Cheesy

All I'm saying is be careful, they're easier to hurt than you think.
Absolutely.  Primary punishment is the time out.  Man he hates that.
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2005, 04:56:13 AM »
My wife has a degree in early childhood development.  Up until we had our first child, her plan was no spanking.  Her parents didn't do it, so we shouldn't either.  What she didn't realize was the willful, stubborn nature our daughter would inherit from me...  

We spank.  Not for every little infraction, but when it's obvious Abby is not listening and has no plan on listening, or is doing something that may harm her, we give her a swat on her behind to help her focus.   She's two years old, I don't expect her to understand reason and logic.  We also use timeouts or verbal discipline depending on the "crime".  We're also not afraid to let her have her temper tantrum as long as we're not somewhere she can bother others.  We're more than willing to cut an outing short to carry a kicking and screaming child back to the car.  No means no.

We also use a lot of positive reinforcement.  So, while we have a child who is exciteable and can be a handful at times, we also have one who knows how to pick up her toys when asked, is polite to a fault (she apologized to Mike several times, knows "please" and "thank you",  and says "excuse me, sorry" when she bumps into someone at the store), and shares with everyone.  

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2005, 04:59:35 AM »
Another IMHO: they start learning various ways to manipulate Mom and Dad from literally day 1 and continue to make an art of it as they grow into adults. You gotta be on your toes!
Ain't that the truth.  Just the other day, she showed us that she's learned to lie.  "Mommy" said no, so Abby went about 2/3 the way up the stairs, and called down to my wife that "daddy said yes".  I was in the shower and unaware of all this.  We also present a united front to her.  If mommy says no, daddy agrees and vice versa.  We're not getting played off each other.  If there's any question of the original answer, we check with each other.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2005, 05:27:09 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Another IMHO: they start learning various ways to manipulate Mom and Dad from literally day 1 and continue to make an art of it as they grow into adults. You gotta be on your toes!
Ain't that the truth.  Just the other day, she showed us that she's learned to lie.  "Mommy" said no, so Abby went about 2/3 the way up the stairs, and called down to my wife that "daddy said yes".  I was in the shower and unaware of all this.  We also present a united front to her.  If mommy says no, daddy agrees and vice versa.  We're not getting played off each other.  If there's any question of the original answer, we check with each other.

Chris
LOL that's funny.  Scott isn't quite there yet.  He's still working on using his words all the time, instead of whining or being agressive.  This morning, he was jumping on my back.  "do you want to eat?"  "Nooooooo".   I didn't believe him.  He devoured a waffle, cup of fruit, and half a kiddie-sized bowl of cheerios.  
Little bugger doesn't always know how to corelate his words with his wants still.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2005, 05:45:19 AM »
"We spank.  Not for every little infraction, but when it's obvious Abby is not listening and has no plan on listening, or is doing something that may harm her, we give her a swat on..."

On that note, I have to admit that there are times when I try VERY hard not to burst out laughing when Chris swats Abby on the butt (most often for climbing on something, such as the back of the couch) and she just looks up at him with this positively evil grin as if to say... "Hahaha, I'm wearing a padded Huggies, that didn't hurt a bit!"

And why is it, try as I might, I can't get Chris to spank me?

I've been a VERY VERY bad boy...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2005, 05:54:30 AM »
I have to admit that there are times when I try VERY hard not to burst out laughing when
It's a struggle for me too.  Smiley

And why is it, try as I might, I can't get Chris to spank me?

I've been a VERY VERY bad boy...

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2005, 05:57:49 AM »
Oh, and btw, the reason we use corporal punishment when my daughter does something as minor as climbing on the couch?  She fell off this Spring and broke her arm.  It was one of those times when we couldn't get to her in time and she tumbled off, landing just right to get a greenstick fracture just below the elbow.  

We've been aging much more quickly since she was born...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2005, 06:08:48 AM »
"My wife has a degree in early childhood development."

You know, I bet she finds that degree to be a LOT more useful in dealing with you, and your friends, than when dealing with Abby... Cheesy

"She fell off this Spring and broke her arm."

You know, I forgot about that. I have to add "She clocked me with her cast" to her list of assaults on me...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
We've been aging much more quickly since she was born...
LOL...How's that go, "They grow you up so quickly!" Wink

You guys sound like you got your poop together.

A good attention getting story. I was at the "Munson Hill Climbs" one time, Munson, Mass. Motorcycles. If you've never been you have to go. You can't believe anybody could climb that thing on a motorcycle, but anyhow there was a pretty good size group of biker types right around the snack bar and their kids were running rampant. I didn't care, they weren't hurting anything. But as I was leaving the snack bar with both hands precariously loaded with food stuff one of the boys ~10 or so was running straight at me looking behind himself and not watching where he was going. All the big bad biker dudes were yelling at him to stop etc but he was ignoring them. Collision was imminent. So I leaned forward as far as I could, got right down to his level and said, "HEY!!!" as loud as I could right in his ear. That kid jumped at least a foot off the ground and froze in his tracks looking at me with eyes as big as saucers. Then I said, very calmly and quietly, "Watch where you're going." Then me and all the biker dudes just smiled at each other and off I went, lunch still in one piece.

Still brings a little chuckle to remember it.

Cheesy