Author Topic: Carrying a full size .45  (Read 10888 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Carrying a full size .45
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »

Mrs Smith,
How about some thing like this?  http://www.pistolwear.com/
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
Mrs Smith,

While not really designed for full size pistols, I actually have a friend that has worn the Flash Bang, and she said it was actually pretty good.  She did mention that for comfort, ahem, "perkier" was better. 

It's an option though.

Actually, while vastly newer then CC in general there is a growing market of designed for women gun gear.  It's better then it was even 5 years ago.

My wife still rocks her Coronodo Leather purse.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
Well, duh.  It's a man's world... ;)

Check out these two ladies youtube channels, they review holsters, guns and knives and discuss realistic carry options while not dressing like a slob, or Jamis, but I repeat myself.  =D

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=mhw4

http://www.youtube.com/user/lima life
Particularly this video
http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=mhw4

I prefer to call it casually casual. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
I felt better after spending several hours tonight while carrying. right hip, IWB, with a polo over it.

I went to meet two APS'ers, so maybe they can tell you if they noticed I was carrying.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »
In this one instance, I'm going to say, "It must be nice to be male."

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. 

Try concealing anything on a 5'3", 112 lb frame. Sure, it can be done, if I could find attractive shorts/skirts with a feminine cut and belt loops through which to put an ugly belt that weighs as much as I do - assuming I could find one small enough that it doesn't encircle my waist twice. Then there's the holster. IWB or OWB doesn't make a damn bit of difference unless I wear men's large t-shirts (not happening), and even then, when I bend over to pick anything up, there's an obvious pistol grip jutting out from my waist under the shirt - covered, but not exactly unidentifiable. I've tried wearing a loose fishing/guide shirt over spaghetti strap tops but same thing - the minute I have to bend even slightly forward, I'm printing badly. I've considered just saying it was a medical device if anyone asked, but ew.

I spent a lot of time looking at thigh holsters this summer. Under a sundress in just the right spot, inner thigh, small gun, it could conceivably work, but have you ever tried walking in heels with a gun between your thighs? (SEEKER, leave it alone!)
Winter's easier. Fits in a coat pocket or conceals easily enough under a bulky sweater. Or if I knew I was going to be outside all day and not removing my coat, a shoulder holster would work, except I haven't had the chance to practice drawing from one and wouldn't want to put it to the test without doing so.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in gun stores with guys holding holsters up to my waist, having me try on different styles, then laughing and telling me I'm SOL unless I want to gain about 40 pounds. I think not.

Solution? Sucks, but carry a purse. Uh, I mean manbag/murse, whatever y'all are calling it these days. Women have been doing it for ... well, however long women have been carrying purses. You can too. Or buy a smaller gun.

On the other hand, if any of our resident geniuses can figure out how to conceal a full size pistol on a small figure, without making me look like a butch truck driver, by all means, please share. I'll send you a bottle of your choice of adult beverage if your idea actually works.

You've perused Kathy Jackson's website?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
Well, duh.  It's a man's world... ;)  No dear, we just let you think it is.

Check out these two ladies youtube channels, they review holsters, guns and knives and discuss realistic carry options while not dressing like a slob, or Jamis, but I repeat myself.  =D

None of her pistols are full size. All of the holsters she has vid for would work with a compact or small caliber, but that's about it.

Mrs Smith,
How about some thing like this?  http://www.pistolwear.com/

The guy's about 5'11, weighs about 180. Loose t-shirt. Putting anything bulkier than a belt buckle at the front of my waist under a shirt makes me look like I'm three months pregnant. Notice the woman in the still photo is facing forward, not sideways.

Dogmush - I've seen the bra holsters but no. Woman in vid has about a 36" chest. I ... don't. Coronado leather purse does rock though! Also found a leather guy in GA who was willing to work with me to design an attactive leather "purse" on a belt, similar to this:

But need to find a leather guy a bit closer now. And as an example, this woman is built about like me - where you gonna hide a full size pistol on her?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
where you gonna hide a full size pistol on her?

Misdirection.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »
I use Galco's Miami Classic shoulder holster for my 1911.

where you gonna hide a full size pistol on her?
I suppose you could make a holster to put on the upper back, like a backpack. It would be a PITA to reholster, and might make you look like a hunchback or some such... but it could work, especially with an open-neck shirt/blouse like that.
The easiest solution is to wear a cape, which allows you to look like an Evil Overlord and carry a full-sized rifle at the same time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
Eh... I think with a slightly longer blouse or t-shirt, and I do mean slightly, like one or two inches.. that model above could get away with a slim single stack auto, like a Kahr, Walther PPS or Kel-Tec PF9 carried appendix style at 11 or 1 o'clock. She even could with that blouse, but I'm giving a bit of extra for cover when bending. Although you aren't likely to bend backwards anyway. So bending forward would just cover more.

And to a degree, you just have to STOP WORRYING AND JUST CARRY.  =) You have to take it to heart that people just aren't that observant, and if they are, what are they going to do? Only an even smaller subset of those folks would out you. Stick something like a pocketbook or a PDA pouch in your small framed feminine waist, make it as suspiciously gun-like as you can, and go out about your day on errands a dozen times, see what happens.

I'll lay $100 on it being "nothing".

Folks here in WI who won't get carry until the permits start showing up in December or January even, like myself, Monkeyleg (he's forever going on about his weight and working out now, but the dude's a rail... seriously...  =D ) we've er... lived with more than just the fashion concern of an unsightly bump for awhile now.  ;)
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 10:45:59 PM »

Folks here in WI who won't get carry until the permits start showing up in December or January even, like myself, Monkeyleg (he's forever going on about his weight and working out now, but the dude's a rail... seriously...  =D ) we've er... lived with more than just the fashion concern of an unsightly bump for awhile now.  ;)

My MN permit is good there starting 11/01, right?   =D
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Misdirection.

Ayup.  Low cut blouse....nobody will be looking for your printing...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »
My MN permit is good there starting 11/01, right?   =D

Yeppers. And that's what blows. The WI DOJ dragging it's heels will mean that out of staters will be able to legally carry for a month or two before WI's own citizens can.  :mad:

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 12:52:37 AM »
Anyone here carry full frame .45s comfortably in hot weather? What are your solutions.

Colt Combat Commander. Almost full-size (not quite).

I carry OWB in a Horseshoe Leather pancake holster. In warm weather I either wear a tee shirt tucked in with an unbuttoned shirt as cover, not tucked in, or a light shirt tucked in and a lightweight vest.

If anyone wants to know why I wear a vest, I have a one-word answer: "Pockets."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:03:32 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:23 AM »
A lot of CC is just getting used to it. I've open carried a Glock 17 in the big city and I'm thinking that 90% of the people don't notice that. They will notice you constantly fidgeting with something under your shirt.

Coronado makes amazing things, I want to get a black Americana jacket to complement the brown bomber one I already have. Can't speak to the purse, I only carry small sequined rainbow purses. I'm sure Coronado jackets for ladies are nice as well.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 01:40:02 AM »
I carry a Colt 1991A1.  Full size, with a magazine bumper to help positively seat during reloads.  Sticks out from the bottom of the gun about 1/2".   I carry it in an IWB holster at about 3:30 on my right side with about a 30 degree forward cant.  And a double mag pouch at 9:00. Here's what I've learned - people aren't looking at your waist.  And if they do see something under a shirt, they will assume it's a cell phone or something like that....  NOT a gun.  I've walked past cops while carrying, and if anyone would notice, you'd think a cop would. 

Honestly, printing is 99% in your head.  Like I said, if anyone notices, most likely they'll assume it's a cell phone.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »
I'm good with a Colt 1991, Colt LW Commander XSE, a CZ-75 or an XD9.

Pretty much any full sized service pistol.

Another plus eleventybillion to the CTAC/MTAC holsters from CompTac.  I have 3 different shields for my MTAC and life is just dandy.  Also have a CTAC for my SP-101 3".  In some ways, that one is even MORE comfortable and concealable than the MTAC, despite the revolver's cylinder bulk.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »
I have a couple of Crossbreed holsters and am very happy with them.  I need to get a couple more.  Mostly carry a CZ 75 P06 in 40 cal.  Shorts (w/belt) and T-shirt are no problem.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
Well, at 6'3", 195 lbs, I carry a full size 1911 with ease.  =D

Changed out the crappy grips since this picture was taken, but you get the idea.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3025/xbaafa183.jpg

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
I bought a "Last Chance" web belt from Cabelas (was on sale for $15 or $20).  It's the first belt I've ever had that actually holds my pants up.   ;/  I had to send the first on back though, because they were cut too way long and I had to cinch it up way past the velcro.

If your waist is the right size for it, a cow collar looks like a good strong belt.  I saw some at Fleet Farm 2 weeks ago in the dairy supply aisle.

i use a collar for my tool pouch.  that thing will never wear out.  i don't think it would fit through my belt loops however.  mine is synthetic, perhaps they make some thinner in leather.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
A cow collar?! Someone talked! My dad has worn a cow collar as a belt everyday for probably 10 years. He doesn't cary a gun, but between him and all the other MacGyver stuff he carries that belt is tough! And we know that the ring on it will lift a 240lb man no problem, thanks to the wonders of air hoists.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
Whenever I leave Mordor, I open carry my Colt 1991 in a Milt Sparks OWB holster.  Most people don't even notice.  (But then again, I've been told I rock the "Retired Police Sergeant look").  If I'm going somewhere a little more fancy then I CC a Ruger LCR IWB with a coat or jacket.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
Whilst looking for suitable companies in my job search, I came across a holster company that uses canvas/webbing. Several of their products could easily be converted to be of use to women so I emailed the company and asked if they'd considered a line of products specifically designed for women, around our builds, our wardrobes, and our needs. The CEO emailed me back this morning and we now have a dialogue going about it. He also asked if I'd like to be a proto-type tester (3 free holsters!) and I asked if he was in need of a marketing person. We'll see what happens, either way could be a win.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »
Sweet! Best of luck.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
Whilst looking for suitable companies in my job search, I came across a holster company that uses canvas/webbing. Several of their products could easily be converted to be of use to women so I emailed the company and asked if they'd considered a line of products specifically designed for women, around our builds, our wardrobes, and our needs. The CEO emailed me back this morning and we now have a dialogue going about it. He also asked if I'd like to be a proto-type tester (3 free holsters!) and I asked if he was in need of a marketing person. We'll see what happens, either way could be a win.

High Five!!!!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »
I carry a Colt 1991A1.  Full size, with a magazine bumper to help positively seat during reloads.  Sticks out from the bottom of the gun about 1/2".   I carry it in an IWB holster at about 3:30 on my right side with about a 30 degree forward cant.  And a double mag pouch at 9:00. Here's what I've learned - people aren't looking at your waist.  And if they do see something under a shirt, they will assume it's a cell phone or something like that....  NOT a gun.  I've walked past cops while carrying, and if anyone would notice, you'd think a cop would. 

Honestly, printing is 99% in your head.  Like I said, if anyone notices, most likely they'll assume it's a cell phone.

I carry a flat bottom mag in the gun and save the bumper mags for the reloads.  I can still tap/rack/bang a flat bottom and if that doesn't fix the problem that mag is hitting the deck regardless.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."