Author Topic: Weed wackers? What to get  (Read 4591 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Weed wackers? What to get
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
yea  gotta go ethanol free
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »
^^^ Not possible anymore around here.
Formerly sumpnz

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
i just spent 90 bucks for 20 gallons of ethanol free from a marina.  plus i hada drive 35 miles roundtrip to get it.  its worth it.  my 399 1999 y2k generator started on second pull yesterday.  i thought my neighbor was gonna cry
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 08:31:54 AM »
I just bought a Troy built HD 4 stroke from Lowe's, and its been running real well.
I've got one of these with the edger attachment and it has worked well for 3 or 4 years with little maintenance.  Same for my Troy Built push mower, but add a couple years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »
41% glyphosate concentrate mixed 3 oz to the gallon of water and a 3 gallon pump sprayer. One of my favorite yard and garden tool.
I rarely use a weed whacker.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
41% glyphosate concentrate mixed 3 oz to the gallon of water and a 3 gallon pump sprayer. One of my favorite yard and garden tool.

I was at Tractor Supply this weekend and noticed they had 2.5 gallon jugs of 41% glyphosate for $50.  I can remember when a quart of 41% was almost $50.
"It's good, though..."

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »
Mine is a Stihl FS-85.  I can recommend it, 'though it seems it is no longer cataloged due to EPA restrictions.  Whatever you buy, go for power.  I prefer the straight, solid, shaft to the curved cable drive.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »
I've got a mid-grade Toro electric. Don't need gas.

It works well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »
I have boughten two "Red Max" power products in the last few years, 3 if you count the one I gave my son-in-law.  I'm cursed with bad luck on small engine stuff, especially 2-stroke.  I've been amazed and delighted with the Backpack blower and  weed eater.  Even I can't get one to quit.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »
I was at Tractor Supply this weekend and noticed they had 2.5 gallon jugs of 41% glyphosate for $50.  I can remember when a quart of 41% was almost $50.

Isn't it great when patents expire. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
some call that a kaiser blade.

Chris

I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down. =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
We call those sling blade weed cutters mexican golf clubs around here.  Been using one since the 50s.  They do work pretty good.  My powered weed wacker is a Sears with 4 stroke motor.  It is a bit heavier than the 2 stroke machines but is trouble free and uses the same gas as my lawn mower.....chris3

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
We call those sling blade weed cutters mexican golf clubs around here.  Been using one since the 50s.  They do work pretty good.  My powered weed wacker is a Sears with 4 stroke motor.  It is a bit heavier than the 2 stroke machines but is trouble free and uses the same gas as my lawn mower.....chris3

We always called it a "whim-wham"   :lol:

Must be a Texas term  =|

I leave mine over at the barn and use it in spare moments to knock down the lambs quarters and mullan, etc.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
Oh I use plenty of glyphosate around the property.
But I doubt the other half would appreciate large dead circles under all the shrubs in the yard the tractor won't fit under.
We used to have a lawn service (no tractor came with the house), but last fall I scored a free cub cadet lawn tractor from one of my bosses that was moving to Florida and downscaling the lawn size.
I figured if its free its for me. We have almost 2 acres of grass, the lawn guy was 55 bucks. At the time I could not see spending a large amount of cash on a big mower. This was the first time doing the lawn with it. It took about an hour 20, but I had to go pretty slow in some spots because it was thick. So I figured since I don't make 55 bucks and hour its worth my time.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
I've used grass killer before as well.  Works great for keeping grass off the fence and off the house.  If the grass gets above the the concrete to the siding, it encourages ants who think my walls are better than the dirt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down. =D

I like them French fried potaters

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-RY40210/203161566?N=bx8iZ1aw#.UXb93EqaWvB

I bought one of these a while back, and boy am I pleased with it.  It advertises that you can trim a half acre on one charge, and it handles my 6000 sq. ft. lot with power to spare.  Lightweight, well-balanced and it charges in 90 minutes. 

This is replacing a B&D 18 volt cordless. I would get maybe 10 minutes per battery pack and I had three of them.  Each battery pack takes nine hours to charge.  Trimming and edging would be a two-day affair when the grass was thick.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
Might either get a stihl fs55 or and fs70.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:10 PM »
Stihl. At home we have an FS-130 that runs like a champ. For gas, buy premium and mix it one gallon at a time. After 60 days, if you haven't used it all, put it in your car and go mix another gallon. Gas with ethanol sucks, but as long as it isn't sitting for a long period of time you'll be fine. We've ran a lot (5 gallons a week) of low grade crap gas through our saws at work with no ill effects.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
Stihl. At home we have an FS-130 that runs like a champ. For gas, buy premium and mix it one gallon at a time. After 60 days, if you haven't used it all, put it in your car and go mix another gallon. Gas with ethanol sucks, but as long as it isn't sitting for a long period of time you'll be fine. We've ran a lot (5 gallons a week) of low grade crap gas through our saws at work with no ill effects.

Are you saying to dump a gas mixture with 2 cycle oil into your car's gas tank?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
IMO, electrics work okay, but I have never seen one that had the power of a gas engine week cutter.  Also, I always run into grass runners or other stuff that is a bit thick and gas powered units just cut right through them.  If electric/battery models work for you, great.  I prefer the engine powered units. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
Are you saying to dump a gas mixture with 2 cycle oil into your car's gas tank?

It works just fine.  I've used it when I was running low on gas in the truck.    =)

In fact, I have always wondered about dumping a can of 2 cycle mix in every tankful for upper cylinder lube.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
It works just fine.  I've used it when I was running low on gas in the truck.    =)

In fact, I have always wondered about dumping a can of 2 cycle mix in every tankful for upper cylinder lube.  =|

Never heard of doing that.  =|
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
Never heard of doing that.  =|

Which...?  Using some saw gas in a truck in a pinch, or putting in the mix deliberately?

Years ago they used to sell stuff to put in your gas for extra cylinder lubrication.  I wonder how different it was?

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
i've run 100's of gallons of premix through my truck.   that way saw gas is always fresh