Author Topic: Updating the PC  (Read 9270 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Updating the PC
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »
I just cannibalized an older case for a couple of rear PCI slot covers, and filled up the open slots. 

Doing so raised temps on the colder unit, and dropped temps on the warmer unit.  Still not equalized, but better than it was.  Raised the cooler unit from 55 * C to about 61, and dropped the warmer unit about 2 * C.

All in all, it tells me I need to increase internal air flow, in particular with regards to the PCIe slot area.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2013, 01:04:57 AM »
Lulz.

Just smoked the other smaller PSU.   =D

I'm not crying over it or anything... both of these are 8+ year old PSU's, 400 and 500 watt respectively.  God alone knows how many spiders and creepy-crawlies climbed up into these things and called it their home while they spent years not being used.  If anything, this is letting me clear out the computer junk drawer.  I had intended on using one as a power supply for my 3d printer, but oh, well.

The straw that broke the camel's back on this one?  It was sitting happily crunching away on one of the cards in there, and then I plugged a USB thumb drive into it and told it to copy a couple of gigs of data to the local HDD.  Evidently the half amp of the USB device, plus the little bit to operate the HDD, was more than it could bear.

I may open it up and see if all I did was pop a fuse.  Used to be, back in the old AT days, they'd actually solder a fuse terminal into the power boards, and you could replace the fuse if you deliberately overdrew the unit.  Not sure if PSU's nowadays have replaceable fuses.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »
Neither PSU is salvageable to my ability.  One blew its rectifier, popped several caps and also its little fuse.  The other popped its caps but otherwise looks okay... except the soldering on the back of the board for the caps is a nasty messy soup that I don't think I could pull the bad caps out and resolder the same way.  Hard to make sense of what's going on back there.

Neither PSU has any value to me any more since they can't power my computers, so they're getting tossed.  I'll cut off a bunch of molex connectors off the harness for future use in other things.

I have decided that exhaust is well and good, but intake is also going to be needed.  So I have a pair of these inbound:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UUGF4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They move the HDD to the top of the case where the 5.25" bays are, and add a little bit of air intake in the form of an 80mm fan.  This gives more room to the bottom of the case where these giant GPU's are taking over.  I already have a 120mm fan running air intake in the bottom of my good case, and I have a couple of 120mm fans I scavenged from the failed power supplies... I will put one of these into the bottom of the secondary chassis to augment air flow.

And I've decided that each unit will have a pair of PCI exhaust fans, located just below each of the GPU's. 
--Lysander Spooner

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Neither PSU is salvageable to my ability.  One blew its rectifier...

Rectifier?  Damn near Killedifier!   =D  (sorry)
"It's good, though..."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
Sounds like you need to factor in the extra A/C load from heating up the house, too. 

(Which is why I stopped doing SETI once I got one week's worth of benchmark - I was fighting the A/C with the 8 Xeon cores and Radeon 6870)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2013, 06:57:15 PM »
Yup, the front half of my house has been considerably warmer these last couple days.  Partly because temps outside are 10 degrees warmer, and partly due to the big number cruncher in the corner of the living room.  I don't need the AC on, it's just warming the house to about 72 * F.  Perfect.

I'm paying $0.12 per kw/hr.  This thing is chewing up right around 700 watts, let's call it $0.10/hr.  $2.40/day, about $72/month.

I need a return of at least 2 LTC to make that worthwhile.

Right now, I'm earning about 0.05 to 0.06 LTC per block solved by my pool, and my pool is "supposed" to solve a block about once every 5.5 hours.  The last couple days have seen some atrociously long periods with no solved blocks... but there have been some short-solves a few days before that.  It'll even out.  I'll get about 0.25 LTC per day, as long as it does.

That should give me about 7.5 LTC per month.  2 to pay the bill, 5.5 to cover the hardware investment.

Of course, come summertime, I'll need to re-appraise.  Mining is actually saving me from having my heat pump turn on to warm the house in winter.  But in the summertime it will obviously cause increased AC use.  Perhaps I'll only mine at night, when our electric rates are less expensive and the temps outside are lower.
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
Lay in a few extra power supplies, in addition to those disposable video cards.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
Lay in a few extra power supplies, in addition to those disposable video cards.   ;)

=D

Chances are, I'll give up mining come April or so.  Find some new video game to play intermittently on my new fancy computer.  By October when the temps drop again, it'll be time to find a different GPU or mechanism to mine.

Good thing, though:  I have an Android mini computer.  A Rikomagic Mk802 ii.  There's bitcoin mining software for it, and I have a singular little 300mhash dongle for it.  But if I chain a bunch of hubs off of it loaded with the USB mining dongles, I can get decent mining return.  And that rig will consume a fraction of the power consumed by the big computer.  I'd guess the android unit and 10 fobs will suck up about 200 watts.
--Lysander Spooner