Author Topic: Housing price comparison  (Read 5712 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Housing price comparison
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
I still say that hipsters and big government are reason enough to flee the big cities.  

You could probably gauge the quality of life in an area by the ration of Priuses to pickup trucks.

I like the fact that if I call the sheriff or the guys under him about something I perceive as a problem and tell em I work nights they will call me back at 2 am if I ask em to.  and the top 4 guys still run calls.the other cops never know when one of them will show up. and they give out their personal cell numbers if they think it will help.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
If that's what you really meant,then it's all good.  What you actually wrote comes off as flippant and dismissive, and I reacted accordingly.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yeah, tone is tough to judge from text and if one has a preconceived notion of the person posting it then assumptions will be made.

I still say that hipsters and big government are reason enough to flee the big cities.  

You could probably gauge the quality of life in an area by the ration of Priuses to pickup trucks.

IME big .gov cities usually infect the whole state (Chicago and IL) and once you're outside the city limits proper zoning ordinances etc aren't an issue. Here in WA Seattle has far less onerous property regs than the super rich communities around the MS campus. Had some friends in Bellevue who had to sue the city to be able to take down a rotted tree in their back yard that was about to fall into their house.

I also find that folks tend to use the word "hipster" as a generic for "anyone I don't like" regardless of the relationship to the actual sub-culture the word describes. Kind of like calling metalheads hippies because they tend to have long hair. [The preceding is a general linguistic observation and should not be taken as an attack or insult to the poster quoted.]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
Martinsville or Danville?

Chris

Martinsville. Saddest town is Bassett, named for the family and family owned furniture brand. Nothing there, at least nothing prosperous.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »
There is a way to live in a place with low cost of living and little economic activity and do well.  Do the same thing as China and a host of other nations do- export something you make or do, to a clientele of the rich- Live in Idaho,or Iowa, sell to NYC or Miami.

Ever notice how many of those little firms that sell on the net are located in remote little towns?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
Martinsville or Danville?

Chris

I always heard it was a mighty rough road to Danville....... =D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
There is a way to live in a place with low cost of living and little economic activity and do well.  Do the same thing as China and a host of other nations do- export something you make or do, to a clientele of the rich- Live in Idaho,or Iowa, sell to NYC or Miami.

Ever notice how many of those little firms that sell on the net are located in remote little towns?

No one has said otherwise. And with the rise of telecommuting I'm sure that will only become more common.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
I always heard it was a mighty rough road to Danville....... =D
This is not 38, it's ol' 97.   Amiright?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »
My casual comment about housing costs in my small tired and rusty Midwest town were never meant to be a grenade. With the pin pulled. and rolling into the middle of this thread...

I haven't read anything posted that I really disagree with. Yes, the reason houses are so cheap here is because the local economy sucks, the job prospects are few and poor. But there are folks that make pretty good money and choose to live here. The mail carrier probably makes the same salary as any other but lives in a house for much less than an urban counterpart.
Food, fuel, health care and insurance, appliances and vehicles cost the same or maybe more.
Most everything else is less.
I have a nice 4 bedroom, 3 bath house on 40 wooded acres with a creek. No close neighbors. Attached heated 2 car garage, barn and outbuildings and a greenhouse. I could reasonably expect to sell it for $300k on a good day. I like living here and I accept the trade offs.
The problem with really cheap houses in town is that they become section 8 subsidized rentals and the demographic changes accordingly. Our school district is 75% children at poverty rate.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
My regret is that I don't live in a more remote area with more acreage  :P

And sometimes the old "buy a boat and sail off into the sunset" option looks good  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin