Author Topic: Time to start wearing hats  (Read 19441 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Time to start wearing hats
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
Or masks ...

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/googles-satellites-could-soon-see-your-face-from-space

I think the technology that allows reading a license plate from a satellite in space is pretty amazing, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a bunch of for-profit companies having the ability to read the headline on my morning newspaper.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:43:52 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Time to start wearing hats
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
You walk around with your face turned to the sky constantly?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
Or masks ...

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/googles-satellites-could-soon-see-your-face-from-space

I think the technology that allows reading a license plate from a satellite in space is pretty amazing, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a bunch of for-profit companies having the ability to read the headline on my morning newspepr.

Tell them to get their own interner subscription, just like everybody else.

I thought copying off your neighbor's paper went out in the 7th grade.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:36:30 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:13 AM »
I already wear hats.  I cut my hair so short so frequently in the Army the hairs on my head refused to leave the follicles out of fear.  So I had them all shot out of hand for cowardice.

Thus, the necessity for a head cover.  I am currently loving my safari-shaped panama hat that I bought at Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
Its effectively impossible to read a license plate (roughly 1cm resolution) or even ROUGHLY see a face (about the same) from orbit.
Real simple math: resolution is 2.44 lambda/D * Range.  For pan imaging , lambda is 1/2 millionth of a meter, range is 300,000-600,000 meters, meaning to get to 1cm resolution, the MINIMUM aperture is 37 meters.  And that's assuming perfect atmospheric correction...which is difficult at best.

I hate articles like this that imply some sort of moore's law for physical things, e.g. "Its 25cm now, and maybe 10cm in the future, so they will be able to X sooner than you think"
Yeah...right...
Considering the largest optical quality mirror EVER built is an equivalent of 10-20m (multiple 8m diameter mirrors phased together) and that was on earth...I'm sure an aperture 15x the diameter of Hubble is right around the corner....

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:53 AM »
So, B'man, you're telling me that it's still safe to go outside without a wide-brim hat? That's a relief.

Thank you for the explanation (even though it's pretty much out of my league).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
I already wear hats.  I cut my hair so short so frequently in the Army the hairs on my head refused to leave the follicles out of fear.  So I had them all shot out of hand for cowardice.

Thus, the necessity for a head cover.  I am currently loving my safari-shaped panama hat that I bought at Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans.

When you start losing your hair in your early 20's, say the heck with it and start head shaving at age 40, you start to accumulate a large number of hats.  Much like reading glasses, I have emergency hats stashed all over the place.  And this is for Seattle, where seeing the sun is a notable event.  If I lived in more southern climes, I would probably have a hat spot welded to my head.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
Its effectively impossible to read a license plate (roughly 1cm resolution) or even ROUGHLY see a face (about the same) from orbit.
Real simple math: resolution is 2.44 lambda/D * Range.  For pan imaging , lambda is 1/2 millionth of a meter, range is 300,000-600,000 meters, meaning to get to 1cm resolution, the MINIMUM aperture is 37 meters.  And that's assuming perfect atmospheric correction...which is difficult at best.

I hate articles like this that imply some sort of moore's law for physical things, e.g. "Its 25cm now, and maybe 10cm in the future, so they will be able to X sooner than you think"
Yeah...right...
Considering the largest optical quality mirror EVER built is an equivalent of 10-20m (multiple 8m diameter mirrors phased together) and that was on earth...I'm sure an aperture 15x the diameter of Hubble is right around the corner....

I play with aerial images quite a bit in ArcGIS, you are very much spot on.

Uranus is a gas giant.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »

Yeah...right...

You mean that TV and the movies have been LYING TO US this whole time?!?  :O

Could they do it with a distributed array? And would it be 18.5*pi m2 worth of mirrors (thus = a mega-crapload of satellites over an area larger than that) or something less than that (a lesser-crapload)?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
You mean that TV and the movies have been LYING TO US this whole time?!?  :O

Could they do it with a distributed array? And would it be 18.5*pi m2 worth of mirrors (thus = a mega-crapload of satellites over an area larger than that) or something less than that (a lesser-crapload)?

The issue isn't mirror size, the size I gave wasn't 37 square meters, it was 37m diameter!
Distributed could help, but the issue is the atmosphere.  The atmospheric effects pretty much limit it to an equivalent mirror size of 3-4m (and possibly less), distributed makes that worse, as each path would need its own compensation.

Basically, while not technically impossible....its really really really hard. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:38 AM »

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 12:19:40 AM »
When you start losing your hair in your early 20's, say the heck with it and start head shaving at age 40, you start to accumulate a large number of hats.  Much like reading glasses, I have emergency hats stashed all over the place.  And this is for Seattle, where seeing the sun is a notable event.  If I lived in more southern climes, I would probably have a hat spot welded to my head.

In HS I had a full head of hair.  I just cut it short.  And working outside all day one day in summer in the south burned my head & top of my ears so bad my scalp peeled and the top of my ears blistered.  Only had to do that once.

I have a bunch of hats, too.  From gungy boonie hats for working around the house to very nice fedoras worn with formal clothing.  Panamas/straws/canvas for summer.  Wool/felt for the winter.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »
Panamas/straws/canvas for summer.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get something for the summer, but my wife always complains that they are old man hats. She likes my boonie hats, but unless I'm out in the boonies, they just make me feel like this guy:

What to do?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Any suggestions? I'd like to get something for the summer, but my wife always complains that they are old man hats. She likes my boonie hats, but unless I'm out in the boonies, they just make me feel like this guy:

http://i.imgur.com/NBrA3kU.jpg

What to do?
Go for Hipster!

Uranus is a gas giant.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
The issue isn't mirror size, the size I gave wasn't 37 square meters, it was 37m diameter!
Distributed could help, but the issue is the atmosphere.  The atmospheric effects pretty much limit it to an equivalent mirror size of 3-4m (and possibly less), distributed makes that worse, as each path would need its own compensation.

pi*r^2 is still the formula for surface are, yes?

Ah - I see. I missed the ^2 for the 18.5m somehow. Yes, I was trying for surface area there based on your 37m diameter mirror, just didn't make it all the way due to failure to properly type it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
It's not the satellite.

Watch for arrays of CCD's on a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfSbdAC-3k

As solid-state lasers improve and shrink, someday it might be possible for the average (cough) er... hobbyist to set up a LIDAR that scans the sky with a low power sweep, and if it gets any return reflections that have been shaped by camera lenses looking at it, it replies with a 10kW pulse, just enough to fry the sensor.  =)
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »

fistful:

Yeah, avoid the hipster look and stingy brims in general.  You want some brim to protect you from the elements.  Also avoid baseball caps unless you are a kid or playing a baseball cap appropriate sport.  Ball caps are for kids and/or playtime.  Adults wear grownup hats.

My hat-wearing and hats divide out into several categories, with different sorts of hats appropriate to them.

Outdoor Work / Recreation
Cotton/cotton-blend boonie caps are great for this.  Everything from GI/GI-ish ripstop cotton/nylon bought at the army/navy store up to nice renditions made by Tilley.  I own two T3 Tilleys, a khaki/olive underbrim and an all-olive deal.

Random GI Boonie

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/t3-snap-up.html

For nasty outside work, I run toward the GI boonie due to its lighter construction.  For recreation, the Tilleys.  For cold weather recreation, a Tilley with a wool watch cap under it works well.  Tilleys are odd in that you buy it a size or so too big and use the front and/or rear strap to keep it on your head.  In the cold, this allows for a wool watch cap, so you get sun/rain protection from the Tilley and warmth from the watch cap.

The GI boonie caps I will wear in public only while actively working a project and already in work gear, filthy, etc.  Tilleys can be worn and look decent with decent clothes up to dressy casual...if your Tilley is not filthy & sweat-stained.

I think I paid $12 for my last GI boonie and $75 for my last Tilley.  The Tilley is the smarter buy, as it will outlast several boonies, but sometimes a light boonie is the best answer.

Warm Weather, Dry
Panama hats for the win.  A close runner up are Milan Straw and Milan Straw hats made from hemp.

There are many shapes/styles.  One can be found to suit you & your wife's sensibilities.  These can be worn in everything from shorts & a t-shirt up to a nice suit.  I prefer fedora, safari, or shantung styles with a generous brim.  The nicest looking and best for beating the heat is the Panama.  But, Panamas and Milan Straws made from straw are more delicate.  You must put them on your head with two hands holding the brim only and not the crown or you will wear out the crown material and cause it to crack eventually.  And you can not crush them.  They will stay crushed and busted.  Milan Straws made from hemp are not as likely to crack in the crown and will more readily bounce back if you crush them.  They may need re-shaping, but the material is tough and resilient.

I currently own all three sorts (Panama, Milan Straw, Milan Straw in hemp).  Now that my kids are a bit older and not likely to just jump on or inadvertently smoosh my hats, I wear mostly the Panama.  Just plain the best warm & dry weather hat if you don't want to wear a western straw-type hat (which are not my style).  My straw Milan Straw needs re-shaping, as it got caught in the car in the summer for a couple days and got mis-shapen.  My hemp Milan straw also needs re-shaping & some lacquer because I got caught in the rain with it. 

Dorfman Pacific produces many brands/lines of decent hats, to include Panamas & Milan Straws.  Capas produces somewhat nicer hats than DP.  Capas and the better producers will get the hat material from S American and build to suit.  Like with felt fedoras and cowboy hats, you can go up, up, up in price & schmancyness. 

The cheapest Panamas & Milans go for ~$35.  I can not recommend them.  Too flimsy and will last a summer, maybe.  If you are in a tight spot, they will do the trick, though, and are cheaper than a sun burn on your head.  Mid-line is around $50 to $75.  This is mid-line Dorfman Pacific brands territory ( http://www.dorfman-pacific.com/ ).   Good value here.  Best value is in the ~$100 range, where the Capas Panamas reside.  The better DP brands are here, too.  Capas is a bit better, DP brands provide more selection.  For instance, this is about the price for a Stetson (DP) brand hemp Milan Straw, which is probably the best value in the DP line.

Panama Hat Styles
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=panama+hat+styles&qpvt=panama+hat+styles&FORM=IGRE
One shape is bound to work for you.  Milans can be shaped in similar styles, but don't hold the shape as well as a Panama.  "Crushable" and "travel" variations will be softer and not hold shape as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_hat

Capas Panama, Safari-Style
http://www.meyerthehatter.com/CAPAS-PANAMA-SAFARI-HAT/PAOHADAMHCDPIKCH/Product

Mine is the lighter "Natural" color.

Stetson hemp Milan Straw
http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/straw-hats/451139-5269/stetson-bristol-hemp-milan-fedora-hat.html

I found this at a local custom hat shop and had them re-shape it to a safari-style. http://www.pbhats.com/

FTR, "Safari-Style" has a brim not quite as wide as the widest fedoras (turned down), an indented crown, and a pinch.

Also, for ready-made hats, sizing can be a problem if there are too few sizes.  For me, a lot of Dorfman Pacific Large size hats are too small and constrict my head too much, but Extra Large are too big to stay secured.  The solution is simple.  Get some 1/4-3/8" or so thick soft foam weather stripping with one sticky side.  Cut a 4-6" long strip.  Fold down the hats sweat band from the inside.  Place inside the sweat band, sticky side against inside of the hat.  Fld up sweat band.  Go on your way.  Replace every couple years if need be.

Warm Weather, Wet
Panamas & Milans are great when it is dry, not so much for when it is wet.  For this, I prefer a cotton cotton/duck hat hosed down with silicone spray.  A Tilley cotton duck hat will do the trick.  A lighter/cooler option that will go with nicer clothes is a twill hat.  Stetson/DP has a nice safari-style / Eugene twill.

http://www.meyerthehatter.com/STETSON-STC61-EUGENE-CLOTH-SAFARI-HAT/PABOAAKCMPCPMAKA/Product

Mine is khaki.  You can also get something like this in an outback/australian style with more brim.

These are not as cool on your head as a Panama or a Milan, but they will keep the rain off your head.  They can be worn when it is colder for this reason.  They are also more tolerant of abuse and will bounce back from most inadvertent smooshings.  Also pretty cheap at $40 or so.  That is a lot of utility for $40.

DP also produces a weathered cotton hat that is nice and will take silicone hosing.

Cold Weather
I find the crushable/travel wool/felt Scala/DP hats in Safari and Outback styles suit me best.  Safari for around town, Outback for in the woods or more recreation.  The Outback style has more brim.  I also added a strap to mine to keep it on my head in case I walk into a tree or something.  Mine are both black

These shed water & snow awfully well.  Have not had to use silicone on them yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Classico-Crushable-Outback-Black/dp/B000VLYIKG

http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Classico-Crushable-Safari-OLIVE/dp/B0061YX7HM/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1408119765&sr=1-1&keywords=scala+crushable+felt+safari+hat

These Scala/DP crushable felts are very popular and available in beau coup variations of style, hat band, etc.  They run around ~$50 or so and are a great value.  I have not worn one out yet, but I have lost or had them stolen. 

I also have an old Tilley wool Winter Hat.  I don't think it is made anymore, or at least not the same way.  I wear this when it is very cold and the wind is biting.  It has flip-down ear and forehead flaps and a headband that will keep it on your head in the wind.  Awesome hat.  Probably too complicated & expensive to make profitably.

This looks like it, but lacks the forehead flaps and head strap:
http://www.tilley.com/us_en/tw2-classic-winter.html

Custom Hats
Here in DFW, I can get come custom hats made to order.  They cost a bit more, but they look super-sharp.  I wear them going to church.  When it is hot, a black hemp Milan Straw, when it is cold, an olive felt fedora.  Guess what style/shape?  Best to know what you want & like before making the jump to a custom hat.  You can pay a little more than a high quality ready-made up to whatever your limit is.  Thing is, the build quality is about the same for the cheaper customs I bought.  And they last a long, long time.

http://www.pbhats.com/

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
  Also avoid baseball caps unless you are a kid or playing a baseball cap appropriate sport.  Ball caps are for kids and/or playtime.  Adults wear grownup hats.

Baseball hats on adults is very acceptable in the Midwest. Its not kiddie wear here.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
So Rooster, how is the durability of a straw hat?  All of my hats are either nylon, cotton, nyco, waxed cotton or felt.  I have perhaps erroneously felt that straw hats are fragile and will develop holes. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
So Rooster, how is the durability of a straw hat?  All of my hats are either nylon, cotton, nyco, waxed cotton or felt.  I have perhaps erroneously felt that straw hats are fragile and will develop holes. 

If you take care of them, they will last several seasons.

My dad has a straw Panama hat that he bought over 20 years ago in New Orleans and it is still in great shape.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
I like these: cheap and keeps its shape even if you crush it up. Black is a bit hot on really hot days though, is perfectly fine when its less than 80 out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Headwear/Mens-Brimmed-Hats%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104448780/i/104006880/Frogg-Toggsreg-Boonie-Hat/1548312.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Brimmed-Hats%2F104006880.uts&WTz_l=DirectLoad%3Bcat104006880#BVRRWidgetID

I have a couple of older well worn columbia hats for doing yard work.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
Not roo_ster, but my Stetson Sunblocker is still presentable (some character wear) after about 8+ years.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch