Author Topic: Time to start wearing hats  (Read 19441 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Time to start wearing hats
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »

This is one of my favorite hats.  It helps the grandkids and other people find me in a crowd.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
fistful:

Also avoid baseball caps unless you are a kid or playing a baseball cap appropriate sport.  Ball caps are for kids and/or playtime.  Adults wear grownup hats.

Nope. Not going to happen. I'd wear a fscking propeller beanie before being mistaken for a Fedora Athiest. And associated passive-aggressive virginal neck-bearded beta-male douchebaggery.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »
Nope. Not going to happen. I'd wear a fscking propeller beanie before being mistaken for a Fedora Athiest. And associated passive-aggressive virginal neck-bearded beta-male douchebaggery.

Feh.

Children have been known to try on grownup garb.  Few then hold the garb to be responsible for any childish actions that may then ensue.

I suppose you also forego blue jeans, too, due to the unsavory sort who may wear them?

So Rooster, how is the durability of a straw hat?  All of my hats are either nylon, cotton, nyco, waxed cotton or felt.  I have perhaps erroneously felt that straw hats are fragile and will develop holes. 

Generally speaking, a straw hat is not as durable or as able to suffer abuse as what you listed.  A cheapo straw (~$35) will last the whole warm part of the year.  A middling sort, ($50-$75) a few years' warm seasons.  A higher quality straw ($100+) will last indefinitely.  A hemp "straw" hat will last as long or longer as those materials above as.  You may need to get it re-shaped or re-blocked every few years as the lacquer wears off, but hemp is tough stuff.

They eyeball-incinerating beacon you call a "hat" will get you found, alright.  Found insane.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
Go tell them about their "kid hats"...

I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »

They eyeball-incinerating beacon you call a "hat" will get you found, alright.  Found insane.

I also wear it when I go snowshoeing or XC skiing, and I tell people if they see it sticking out of the snowbank after the avalanche, they can start digging there.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
Kakadu makes good, reasonably priced hats.  I've got one of their Soaka hats, and like it very much:  http://us.kakaduaustralia.com/collections/soakas-1/products/5h31-rust-the-soaka
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Baseball hats on adults is very acceptable in the Midwest. Its not kiddie wear here.

I have to agree.  It's pretty much the standard where ever I have lived most of my life, at least for spring/summer/fall.  It must be a working man thing  ;)

I finally switched to a Stetson for most wear a few years ago, now that I have horses.  I'm not a real cowboy but I'm a pretty darn good rider.  But I still wear a ball cap for dirty stuff and/or running machinery where I want ear muffs.

In the winter I have a now grubby insulated ball cap style with ear flaps for most of the time.  When it's really cold, I've got a carhart type rabbit fur lined bomber hat.  For town etc I've got a grey wool railroad type hat with tuck in earflaps.

It's really weird to get on a plane at -20 and got off at the other end at +70  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
Go tell them about their "kid hats"...

I did.  I thought the pre-BDU ball caps were wretched.

The patrol cap that went with BDUs was a decent bit of kit when they were not worn by a SGM with the blocking dealy inside.  The Navy & USMC versions were unnecessarily complex, though.

Not sure what the non-beret non-helmet head gear is standard nowadays.  If it is a ball cap, that would be sad.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
I'm thinking about tracking down a lightweight white straw fedora and some neon yellow dye, then adding a safety-orange-and-Scotchlite band so people who don't recognize me without a hat will know it's me when I'm running.

Could make for an interesting look when I get up to the point of running a 5K.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »

Yep, the non *expletive deleted*bag Fedora wearers where I live are usually quite weird and quite liberal.

Safe hats in order of safeness that will not get you public scorn or your ass kicked.

Ball cap
Watch/stocking hat
Boonie hat
Wide Brimmed Tilly hats
Wide brimmed straw hats, only in the summer month
Cowboy hat- if you are wearing the clothes/footwear to match

Hats guaranteed to get your ass kicked
Mad Bomber hats- unless its is 30 below or attending a late football game.
Fedora
Derby

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
Day to day going to work or just bumming around I wear something like this.
Tan in the summer, brown or charcoal in the winter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OSKR6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Out on the boat some kind of wide brim boonie style

I'm the one sitting

Sadly, that hat was sacrified to the wind and lake gods later that day but we did win 2 of 3 races that afternoon.

Happy face

Working in the garden or yard work in the sun it'll be a wide brim straw.

I also have good felt fedoras and oil skin outback style for cold/wet weather.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:02:22 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »
Yep, the non *expletive deleted* Fedora wearers where I live are usually quite weird and quite liberal.

Safe hats in order of safeness that will not get you public scorn or your ass kicked.

Ball cap
Watch/stocking hat
Boonie hat
Wide Brimmed Tilly hats

Fedora
Derby

I think you'd look good in a Derby with White framed sunglasses.   :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
I think you'd look good in a Derby with White framed sunglasses.   :P

Johnny Depp I am not.

...nor Truman Capote.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »
You can have my baseball cap when you pry it from my hot sweaty head.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 12:08:12 AM »
Baseball hats on adults is very acceptable in the Midwest. Its not kiddie wear here.

I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere. roo_ster was being a curmudgeon, not a regionalist. He prefers a time when men were men, and women were women; and wore hats, not caps.

Hats (or caps) tend to make my head uncomfortable, so I won't wear them unless I realize some benefit. So a felt outback/Indiana Jones/wide-brimmed fedora in cooler weather, a Radar O'Reilly hat over my ears in cold weather, and potentially one o' them Panama hats to shade my noggin in the summer. Ball caps don't do any of those things very well, (except make my head hot) so I've never liked them. They sure is popular, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
Hats (or caps) tend to make my head uncomfortable, so I won't wear them unless I realize some benefit.

Same here, and getting thin on top, er, that is, keeping my hair cut short, means I have to wear hats lots to keep from getting head sunburn - the most painful of all the sunburns.

I generally just wear ball caps for running and for shooting.  I wish I could wear a brimmed straw or felt hat for shooting, but hearing protection interferes. I wear them when hunting since I can get away with just earplugs for bird hunting. Always a brimmed hat for fishing. Straw fedora ( a real one with a wide brim, not those ones that trained apes wear that are two sizes too small) for Summer fishing, felt cowboy hat made for me by Larry the hat guy for cool weather. When I spent lots of time on boats I wore a boonie hat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 02:16:07 AM »

Followed your link, and buried amongst the furry necks and hats was this gem:

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 02:32:41 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere. roo_ster was being a curmudgeon, not a regionalist.

That's going beyond curmudgeonly; he's starting to edge into the neo-Victorian area.  :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
roo_ster, thanks for the recommendations.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
Yep, the non *expletive deleted* Fedora wearers where I live are usually quite weird and quite liberal.

Ball cap
Watch/stocking hat
Boonie hat
Wide Brimmed Tilly hats

Fedora
Derby

I've been known to wear a fedora, from time to time. Nothin' wrong with a nice fedora.

Attack me without just cause, whatever hat I might be wearing (no, "because I thought he was a hipster!" is *NOT* just cause), and you won't like the result.

It ain't the headgear that's the problem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »
I've been known to wear a fedora, from time to time. Nothin' wrong with a nice fedora.

I wouldn't attack a guy in a fedora myself. You never know when they might be armed. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
I wouldn't attack a guy in a fedora myself. You never know when they might be armed. :)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3860/14958627875_3996d6750b_z.jpg

Not just fedoras:

George
      Any a you boys know your way around
      a Walther PPK?

DELMAR
      Well now, that's where we cain't
      help ya. I don't believe it's in
      Mississippi.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »

Attack me without just cause, whatever hat I might be wearing (no, "because I thought he was a hipster!" is *NOT* just cause), and you won't like the result.

It ain't the headgear that's the problem.

I was joking about getting your ass kicked, but you should be expected to be hassled by youngsters for wearing those hats.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
A man walks down the street wearing a fedora - you know he's not afraid of anything.   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
A man walks down the street wearing a fedora - you know he's not afraid of anything.   :lol:

Uranus is a gas giant.