Author Topic: 160 Gigabytes  (Read 6672 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: 160 Gigabytes
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »
Bah! You kids with yer punch card readers! When I worked at Tech we had analog computers that ya "programmed" with patch cords and the newer mainframes had wire-core memory!  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
(OK, the analog units were used on some lab experiments and the mainframe with the wire-core memory was still in active inventory but it was there dangit!)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
I remember when I cam home from leave and bought a computer.  386x with a co-processor,  640K RAM, 1 m extended RAM, 500 meg hard drive, 5.25 and 3.5 in floppy drives and a tape back-up drive.  Color Monitor all for the screaming price of $1600 shipped.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
I remember when I cam home from leave and bought a computer.  386x with a co-processor,  640K RAM, 1 m extended RAM, 500 meg hard drive, 5.25 and 3.5 in floppy drives and a tape back-up drive.  Color Monitor all for the screaming price of $1600 shipped.

I looked at something like that- at Radio shack. I was too poor to afford it at the time.  :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »

As an FYI, Samsung should be releasing 16TB (15.3 real TB) SSDs this year, for enterprise customers. For around $7k. Which is fantastically cheap for enterprise.

It's actually not vaporware either. They have 'production' models made. It's just 48 layers of 3-bits-per-cell (TLC) 3D V-NAND, where 36 layers is standard now. So only a decent but not insane improvement. Most of your home SSD is air or plastic housing, btw. This is just cramming a whole bunch of semi normal components into a single unit.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
You guys are adorable with your PC's.
LOAD "*",8,1

LOAD "*",1,1 if you needed to load it off of a tape. I remember Frogger taking 10-15 minutes to load off that dang tape. Eons to a 5-8 year old.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
(OK, the analog units were used on some lab experiments and the mainframe with the wire-core memory was still in active inventory but it was there dangit!)
I will call your core memory, and raise you.... carriage control tapes! (a paleo printer thing, for you kids).
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »

I wonder if you misremember the specs.  My recollection was that when the 386sx was current, 40, 80 and 120mb drives were all the rage.  500mb would have been monstrously large in the early 90s.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »
Reading all this made me remember my real first computer, a Smith Corona PWP5000 word processing unit. Bought it in 1990, heading to law school, knowing I would need to type papers and didn't want to run off to the computer lab at school alll the time.  It was a dedicated word processor,  with a 12 inch monochrome screen, and used 2.8" diskettes to store documents...no internal storage.  Basically, it was a typewriter with a screen and a disk drive, even used typewriter ribbons for printing.  Spent around $500 for the unit, plus an extra $75 for a paper feeder, from Service Merchandise store.  Didn't need anything else,  I had my Sega Genesis for entertainment.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
I wonder if you misremember the specs.  My recollection was that when the 386sx was current, 40, 80 and 120mb drives were all the rage.  500mb would have been monstrously large in the early 90s.

Yep, our first PC was a 386sx with a 120 MB hard drive. I remember my dad griping about the fact that us kids' Wing Commander game was taking up 20-something MB.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »
I started with a IBM PC clone 8088 w/640k RAM, full height 10 MEG HD and a single 360k 5¼" Floppy drive, Amber Hercules monochrome graphics. As I advanced I upgraded it to an 8086 CPU, Math Coprocessor, 1,024k RAM, Seagate ST 225 20 Meg HD. At the time, I was large and in charge!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 10:16:18 PM »
BTW: I got my PC to run Fortran and to do 3D CAD with CADKEY run off of a stack of floppies!
MOLON LABE!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 10:37:58 PM »
I remember my old 386 at a screaming 25Mhz....
Upgrading from an older ISA 8 bit card to a 16 bit (I.E, it had 1MB of RAM on it, IIRC, versus the whopping 256k the ATI card had on it, and it used both connectors on the motherboard, not just one like the ATI. ) made gaming quite a lot better.

Yeah, space was definitely at a premium.  100MBs may have seemed huge back then, but rapidly shrunk, especially when you installed games & compilers.

And yeah, I'd managed to forget the whole CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT juggling one had to do for many games.  Some games wanted extended memory, others wanted purely conventional (first 640k), and others wanted expanded memory.

So, you had to load emm386.exe, himem.sys, your mouse driver (if the game needed it,) and your sound driver (if your soundcard needed it.  True Soundblasters generally didn't, but some other cards needed TSRs.... lots of fun fitting everything into memory,)

Don't even get me started on the bogusness of disk compression.  Stacker/Drivespace/etc sounded good on the surface....but turned out to be kinda crappy.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 10:55:32 PM »
That's why I used a Perstor controller card to double my 40 to an 80!

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Perstor/Perstor%20PS180-16F%20-%20Advertisement.pdf
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »
It wasn't until the last move that I found and then threw out my 300 baud acoustic coupler that I used to connect to the Unix bulletin boards. you had to dial the number, wait for the beeps, and then wedge the phone handset into the rubber cups and it would connect. When I bought a 1200 baud internal modem for my Leading Edge Model D, I thought I was moving on up. My very first computer was a Texas Instruments 99/4a with a tape recorder drive. In chemistry school, I used an Apple II plus for my undergrad and grad to drive the GC/MS.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
What's crazy is data volume.
So right now the best microSD a you can actually buy is like 200GB, and it's 11x15x1mm (165mm3), or about 1.25 GB/mm3, and about 400GB/g (and $0.5/GB)

That means a cubic meter of microSD cards (6.06 million of them) would:
1. cost $600 million
2. Mass approx 3 metric tons (6600lbs)
3. Hold 1.2 billion gigabytes.  That's 1200 petabytes. (1.2 exabytes)

Given that the human race has generated <10 zettabytes, that means that the entirety of the human race's information could be put into a cube less than 20 meters in a side, costing $6 trillion.

The -crazier- part is if you increased the volume to ~25 meter cube, you could have each card be accessed.
If done properly, you could probably access about 0.1% of them simultaneously, or about 60million at a time--at UHS speed, that's a read speed of about 3 petabytes/second (24000 Tbps), or a write speed of about 1/5th of that.

Meaning it's actually somewhat reasonable for us to build an information ark.
1/10th of the world GDP.
Have N-ary redundancy for control electronics (like 100-ary or more), with massive data redundancy