Author Topic: Why do home service people wreck your home?  (Read 1052 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Why do home service people wreck your home?
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
I try to use home service people---plumbers, carpet cleaners, basement repair, roofers, etc--as little as possible. Aside from the cost, one reason is that they do a fair amount of damage while they're fixing something.

For example, at my last house, I had some basement guys come out to install new drain tile. In the process, they put their sledgehammers and other tools on top of the dryer, denting it. They also managed to get concrete on both the washer and dryer.

Plumbers usually aren't too bad, just leaving a big mess, but some will put dents in the walls or scratch the floors.

Roofers leave all sorts of debris in the yard, and usually ruin the lawn.

Yesterday I had a guy come out to clean my carpeting. After he left, I found small chips of paint on the floors where his flexible hose had rubbed against the corners of the walls. He also cleaned a 10' x 12' area rug in the bedroom. It's now half bright and half dark brown. I don't think it can be fixed, but we'll see.

I'd like to go to their homes and see if everything is pristine, or if the homes are a wreck.

And don't even get me started on Harley mechanics.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Why do home service people wreck your home?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »
I've used service people a lot, mostly for my rentals, and have never had that problem. I usually can't tell that they've been there. Maybe it's an Alabama thing.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Maybe you should offer them moccasins.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
Maybe you should hire a better class of home service people?

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
Home Depot parking lot might be the wrong place to be looking for a quality crew.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »
Home Depot parking lot might be the wrong place to be looking for a quality crew.

:D

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:41:50 PM »
Since I got my house last year, I've had the kitchen sink drain re-routed and a skylight removed.  Both times the contractors cleaned up after themselves, unless you count some light sweeping I had to do.  I wouldn't've cut the checks otherwise, not without a heart to heart chat.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »
The short answer is that fixing things is dirty, and it's easy to break other stuff in the process. If people, in any vocation, can cut corners (in this case by not cleaning or repairing little things that get messed up), they often will.

Does that answer your question?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
Last time I had  a  new roof put on the workers cleaned up the yard  very thoroughly.   Must be an  "Alabama thing."  ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
Did you document the damages and confront these people about it?

Because I think you're supposed to do that.  ???
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 07:12:02 PM »
Hell, even my Uncle that runs his contracting business from a scooter with a trailer (I *expletive deleted*it you not) cleans up after himself.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
The short answer is that fixing things is dirty, and it's easy to break other stuff in the process. If people, in any vocation, can cut corners (in this case by not cleaning or repairing little things that get messed up), they often will.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, I know that. I'm just kvetching.

Did you document the damages and confront these people about it?

Because I think you're supposed to do that.

Uh-huh. After posting this I called the carpet cleaning company and they sent the owner to fix the funky area rug. I don't have matching paint for the corners, so...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 08:05:54 PM »
Last time I had  a  new roof put on the workers cleaned up the yard  very thoroughly.   Must be an  "Alabama thing."  ;)
Roofers cleaned up my yard just fine here in TX, where tradespeople aren't particularly renowned for their work habits, even if - that's IF - they actually have green cards.

My first thought exactly.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:50:09 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain