Author Topic: Arizona - Bad Grammar A-Okay for Teachers  (Read 1307 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Arizona - Bad Grammar A-Okay for Teachers
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
What the hell? Also, the full article title is "Teachers Can Have Accents and Use Bad Grammar". I don't know what one has to do with the other. I've run into plenty of people that have accents and speak English better than me. There should be no reason for someone with an accent to be barred from teaching English. That does not apply to bad grammar - for an ENGLISH teacher.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/08/31/arizona-us-agencies-reach-pact-on-teachers-speech/#ixzz1WhXjzAkf?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Arizona - Bad Grammar A-Okay for Teachers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
When I entered high school, I had my first exposure to black teachers - one in Advanced Biology, the other in English.

The Adv. Bio teacher was one of the BEST teachers I had in my four year stint there - dedicated and competent, she was everything one would expect in a teacher.

The English teacher introduced herself by saying "Ah teaches English and Ah is a-gunna learn alla youse ta read 'n' write bettah dis year."   ;/

Found out later from one of the counselors that she got her position by an affirmative action policy that let minorities be hired as full teachers once they had their name on a substitute teacher's list for 3 years.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
There should be no reason for someone with an accent to be barred from teaching English. That does not apply to bad grammar

Why are accents acceptable, but dialects are not?

Because there's no standard grammatical truths that work across all dialects. Well, there are, but there's no complete grammar that does. 
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
Help me here, why did I bother learning English if they're just going to hire people who didn't?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
Hey Arizona? My math skills can be summed up on a stamp and you'd still have some space for doodles. Wanna hire me to teach math?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
Hey Arizona? My math skills can be summed up on a stamp and you'd still have some space for doodles. Wanna hire me to teach math?
Well, if you have enough seniority with the local teacher's union . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »

Only if you enter the country illegally.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton