Author Topic: Random Thoughts from Thomas Sowell  (Read 3562 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Random Thoughts from Thomas Sowell
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
Here's the latest from a very smart man:

Random Thoughts
Thomas Sowell
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Random thoughts on the passing scene:

If you took all the fraud out of politics, there might not be a lot left.

The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied. They want villains to hate and heroes to cheer-- and they don't want explanations that do not give them that.

Has anyone noticed Yankee pitcher Joba Chamberlain's facial resemblance to Babe Ruth? If he can be anywhere near as good a pitcher as Ruth was, he will have a great career. The Babe could have made the Hall of Fame if he had remained a pitcher and never hit a home run. He still holds a couple of pitching records.

Although you can block unwanted phone calls from commercial sources, you cannot block automated phone calls from politicians, which will be inundating us this election year. Apparently the courts think that the right of "free speech" includes the right to impose that speech on an unwilling audience. Maybe we need a new Constitutional Amendment, guaranteeing "freedom from speech."

One of the problems with successfully dealing with threats is that people start believing that there is no threat. That is where we are, seven years after 9/11, so that reminding people of terrorist dangers can be dismissed as "the politics of fear" by Barack Obama, who has a rhetorical answer for everything.

There are countries in Europe that would love to have their unemployment rate fall to the 5.7 percent unemployment rate to which ours has risen. Yet those who seem to want us to imitate European economic and social policies never seem to want to consider the actual consequences of those policies. "Unacceptable" is one of the big weasel words of our time-- almost always said when the person who says it has no intention of doing anything, and so is accepting what is called "unacceptable."

Republicans won big, running as Republicans, in 2004. But once they took control of Congress, they started acting like Democrats and lost big. There is a lesson in that somewhere but whether Republicans will learn it is another story entirely.

When we hear about rent control or gun control, we may think about rent or guns but the word that really matters is "control." That is what the political left is all about, as you can see by the incessant creation of new restrictions in places where they are strongly entrenched in power, such as San Francisco or New York.

Now that the Senator with the furthest left voting record in the Senate and the Senator with the third furthest left voting are the Democrats' nominees for President and Vice President, there will be great expressions of indignation over being "negative" if anyone dares call them "liberals." Actually, leftists would be more accurate.

G.K Chesterton said: "I defy anybody to say what are the rights of a citizen, if they do not include the control of his own diet in relation to his own health." But California citizens and citizens of New York City have tamely accepted their politicians' decisions to forbid restaurants to serve certain foods, even when citizens want those foods.

The recent death of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn should make us recall what he said when he was awarded the Nobel Prize: "The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles." What would a Barack Obama presidency mean, other than more concessions and broader smiles, while Iran goes nuclear?

Right after liberal Democrats, the most dangerous politicians are country club Republicans.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says that what he admired about FDR was his willingness to experiment in order to help the economy. That experimentation helped prolong the Great Depression, since people tend to hang onto their money when the government creates uncertainty by constantly changing the rules.

At one time, it was said "The truth will make you free." Today, there seem to be those who think that rhetoric and hype will make you free. It might even be called the audacity of hype.

http://townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/08/26/random_thoughts?page=full&comments=true
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: Random Thoughts from Thomas Sowell
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »
     Thomas Sowell is an "Uncle Tom".

That's what you should believe if you believe that a really smart guy, who is black, deviates from the liberal establishment in his thinking.

Or he might be just a smart guy who happens to be black.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »
It's amazing that man hasn't been run out on a rail.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
I would vote for him for President in a heartbeat Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »
I really WOULD like him - but he's a Marine.   cool
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »
McCain's best VP pick?   cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
Sowell is entirely unelectable.  He tells the truth about things the country doesn't want to know the truth of. 

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:53:34 PM »
Sowell is entirely unelectable.  He tells the truth about things the country doesn't want to know the truth of. 
"Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise."
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Azrael256

• friend

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
Walter Williams > Thomas Sowell. That is all.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »
They can't call him an Uncle Tom.  After all, he's a real Sowell man. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:17:29 AM »
Walter Williams > Thomas Sowell. That is all.
Now that would be an interesting Presidential ticket.  Cheesy

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 04:46:41 AM »
Why do you like Williams more than Sowell Micro?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 05:36:11 AM »
Why do you like Williams more than Sowell Micro?

[from least to msot important]

1. I've actually had personal contact with Williams via e-mail (I'm considering applying to GMU for next year), and he's been very nice nad helpful.

2. I've read Sowell's "Markets and Minorities", which is a very, very nice book, and "A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles. ". THat latter is horrid. It basically claims there's only two major world outlooks. That was the deal-killer for me on sowell.

3. Walter Williams, from what I get from his blogging , is far closer to my own views.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:57:56 AM »
Although you can block unwanted phone calls from commercial sources, you cannot block automated phone calls from politicians, which will be inundating us this election year. Apparently the courts think that the right of "free speech" includes the right to impose that speech on an unwilling audience. Maybe we need a new Constitutional Amendment, guaranteeing "freedom from speech."

I already have that freedom, which I excercise on a regular basis by hanging up.  It requires less effort even than slamming my front door in the face of a candidate's volunteer.  Other than that, it was a fine article.  Sowell is someone I could definitely vote for.

If I might add slightly to the threadrift, good stuff from Walter Williams can be found here:

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/
or here:
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/williams1.asp

Government income redistribution programs produce the same result as theft. In fact, that's what a thief does; he redistributes income. The difference between government and thievery is mostly a matter of legality. Browning's solution is captured in the title of his last chapter, "Just Say No," where he proposes, "The federal government shall not adopt any policies that transfer income (resources) from some Americans to other Americans." He agrees with James Madison, the father of our Constitution, who said, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 08:00:21 AM »
 cool
I think we need more people in politics like Thomas Sowell.  And fewer people like barack Obama, John McCain, the Clintons, Pelosi, Schumer, Boxer and ... well, most all of 'em.

Quote from: Edward R. Murrow
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."

And we have become a "nation of sheep." ...... angry
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero