Author Topic: Indiana Suprime Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home  (Read 8087 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_ec169697-a19e-525f-a532-81b3df229697.html

Indiana's Suprime Idiots in Black Dresses have ruled 3-2 that if the police want to enter your home for any reason, or no reason at all you the homeowner or occupant have no right to resist even an unlawfull entry.

Oh, and earlier this week these same clowns ruled 5-0 that police can consider any warrant a "No-knock" warrant if "exigent circumstances justify it".

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/indiana/article_be2cbb59-e508-53ab-989a-a23a6d1d8b23.html

:facepalm:

Any questions on how long before the same group of people who feel their lives are threatened by fleeing dogs and elderly cats seize apon these rulings and urge likewise in other states?

Paging Ms. Clare Wolfe, you have phone call to check the time.  [ar15]

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Sounds like the Indiana legislature needs to act.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AZRedhawk44

• friends

Paging Ms. Clare Wolfe, you have phone call to check the time.  [ar15]

Lol.  I was wondering when the first reference to "awkward" stages would come.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
I guess there is also supposed to be some sort of cop radar to know who these people are even if they are in plain clothes also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
"We believe ... a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence," David said. "We also find that allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest."
This is really really broad and would seem to me to go against all sorts of precedent solely because, IN THEIR OWN OPINION, it isn't a good idea.  

The court's decision stems from a Vanderburgh County case in which police were called to investigate a husband and wife arguing outside their apartment.

When the couple went back inside their apartment, the husband told police they were not needed and blocked the doorway so they could not enter. When an officer entered anyway, the husband shoved the officer against a wall. A second officer then used a stun gun on the husband and arrested him.

Professor Ivan Bodensteiner, of Valparaiso University School of Law, said the court's decision is consistent with the idea of preventing violence.
First, this is a very weird case for establishing this sort of precedence.  
Second, who is this Idiot Professor who thinks that a court's job is to prevent violence.  If that is their goal, they should also rule that police in Indiana are not allowed to carry weapons of any kind.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Let's start a pool on how many posts it'll take before someone defends this in the name of officer safety and "going home at night."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Jason Russell (Monotomy, MA Jan 25th, 1716 - April 19th, 1775) is spinning in his grave.

"An Englishman's home is his castle."

Died at the bloodiest fighting on Battle Road during the Lexington/Concord battle, defending his home from Lord General Percy's soldiers, along with 11 other New England militia men.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
At some point this sort of thing is going to engender a movement to disband police agencies. The reason is that it will occur to many people that the cure (cops) is worse than the disease (crime).

They can break into your house, ruin your life or kill you (or your dog), they're not generally that effective at preventing crime or catching criminals, there are near-daily reports of innocent people being hassled or wrongful arrests, and with their benefits packages they cost a lot.

The cost-benefit analysis in many folk's minds will shift soon and not in a good way for the police.

For the usual reasons I'm not advocating violence in any way. And it need not be violent. It is my sincere hope that this is a peaceful process.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
It was a crappy case to start with but he ruling is an abomination.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
It is not the place of the judge to rule based on his policy preferences.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
At some point this sort of thing is going to engender a movement to disband police agencies. The reason is that it will occur to many people that the cure (cops) is worse than the disease (crime).

So others are noticing this too  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
Society existed rather well before the existence of modern policing. It will continue to exist after.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Seems to me that police exist to enforce government edicts far more than protecting folks' lives and property.

=(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

They can break into your house, ruin your life or kill you (or your dog), they're not generally that effective at preventing crime or catching criminals, there are near-daily reports of innocent people being hassled or wrongful arrests, and with their benefits packages they cost a lot.

The cost-benefit analysis in many folk's minds will shift soon and not in a good way for the police.

For the usual reasons I'm not advocating violence in any way. And it need not be violent. It is my sincere hope that this is a peaceful process.

Most places, I'd argue, the local cops are a force for order and moral good.  Other places, they are just another criminal gang.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that I'd want LEOs to do that could not be contracted out (since I believe that all citizens, LEO or otherwise, ought to have the same arrest powers, liabilities, etc.).

Society existed rather well before the existence of modern policing. It will continue to exist after.

Not just society, but civil society with everything that made the West great.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Seems to me that police exist to enforce government edicts far more than protecting folks' lives and property.

=(

If/when that occurs, it is time to disband them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
We laugh at Britain's unarmed Bobby, but we must remember that when thte concept was originally invented, it was not invented by the people who rule today's Britain. It was invented by the people who forged a mighty Empire, carried handguns in .455 as they went about their daily rounds, and were happy to provide their law enforcement with fire support if it was needed.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Ah.  Already happening here in PA.  More and more towns are quietly disbanding their local police and handing matters over to the State Police.  Crime rates have stayed about the same or dropped. 

If/when that occurs, it is time to disband them.

blinks 

I am unaware of any departments that believed otherwise, Rooster.  I know individual officers that believe in protecting people over edicts, but exactly zero departments.  I didn't think this was a new trend, I automatically assumed it was universal...  because it has been the case everywhere that I've ever been. 

Every law enforcement group I'm aware of is dedicated to protection of "the community", not and never individuals.  And by community, they mean whoever pays them and to whom they are directly responsible.  Buddies of mine in NCIS see themselves as protecting the Navy, not the individual sailors.  Local cops enforce ordinances regardless of their legality or morality against citizens, because their paycheck comes from the municipality that sets these ordinances.  You could argue that their paycheck ultimately comes from the citizenry, which is true, but that is a conceptional thing rather than the every day perception.  And perception defines reality at the end of the day.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Ah.  Already happening here in PA.  More and more towns are quietly disbanding their local police and handing matters over to the State Police.  Crime rates have stayed about the same or dropped. 

I don't think you see where we are going with this.

I am having the vision of an abolition, or very serious alteration, of the very concept of patrol police.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
I don't think you see where we are going with this.

I am having the vision of an abolition, or very serious alteration, of the very concept of patrol police.

That's what we're seeing.  For economic reasons.  Locals cut the local police, county police mostly do warrants from judges (liens, divorce stuff, sheriffs sales, etc), and state police respond to the real problems. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
^^^ Interesting.  Here in Washington (and a lot of other Western states, now that I think about it), the state police is almost exclusively for traffic enforcement.  They don't really do much else in the way of law enforcement, unless it is in the context of emergency mutual aid and the like.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Indiana can go spit.

No crack or coke sales in this house, so early morning entry will not go well at all for them.

Defense of home, self, and family.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ned Hamford

• friend
Found an article in defense of the ruling. 

http://stubbornfacts.us/law/barnes_v_indiana_and_overreaction

"Are we now so paranoid about the Obama administration—granted, that most aspirational of Presidents—that some folks don't see this as a case about drug dealers, abusers, and drunken idiots opening fire on the police, but themselves, heroically resisting marauding federal Sardaukar invading our homes? That seems uncharitable, but I can't imagine anything else that would justify Barnes' critics advocating, in effect, a wild west "shoot first" rule. We shouldn't put our police in greater danger every day simply because some folks fantasize that any day now, the day black helicopters will descend to take our guns and impose tyranny."

My rating of its author has plummeted drastically with this article.  While now a US citizen, he seems to have retained his notion of the agents of the crown.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Marine combat veteran murdered by swat:

http://lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w212.html

Hobie

• Shooting With Hobie
I think it is quite funny that we weren't paranoid enough about Bush-43 and the Patriot Act but we are loonies for being paranoid about Obama. 
Sincerely,

Hobie
"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I think it is quite funny that we weren't paranoid enough about Bush-43 and the Patriot Act but we are loonies for being paranoid about Obama. 

Yeah, I was a "leftist" and "bush hater" back then, but now I am a "right wing nut" or something...  ;/