Author Topic: Mitt Romney & Gun Control  (Read 16048 times)

slingshot

• friend
Mitt Romney & Gun Control
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
What exactly is his record with regard to Gun Control in MA?  Since he won both Iowa and NH primaries on the Republican side, this issue needs to be brought up.  He claims that he supports the 2nd Amendment.

How much was he involved in the MA Foid card requirement?  So called "assault weapons" requirements?  

Newt Gingrich said something to the effect that Romney was behind a $100 per gun ownership fee in MA.  Is this true or is the amount incorrect?  I believe the FOID card is $50.  Is there an annual fee?

Has he ever worked to reduce gun laws in MA as govenor?
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Mitt Romney & Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
Wow! He is absolutely, positively, a complete chameleon on everything.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
Wow! He is absolutely, positively, a complete chameleon on everything.

Well maybe he talked to Kerry too many times.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
A bill he signed in 2004 enacted a permanent ban on assault weapons -- reportedly the first such state law in the country. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense," the Globe quoted Romney as saying. "They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

Well, there you go ...  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »
I think Mitt Romney is purposely not saying anything substantive about his positions on gun control during the campaign so far.  Yes, it is one of his weaknesses and a negative for many Americans.  I don't want to have to hold my nose when I vote again for president.

He says he wants to enforce the laws that are on the books.  That is not good enough for me.  That is a standard evasive politican statement.  Would he support a national FOID card?  Would he support a national registry?  Would he support charging firearm owners an annual fee to own a firearm to pay for a registry?  Does he support a national waiting period when he knows it has little effect on crime?

Does he feel it is a state's issue?  He has already said he supported MA gun laws which are some of the toughest in the country.  What does he really believe?  Would he support new legislation that is more restrctive relative to gun control?  Or is he the gutless politician that changes his views to fit a campaign and essentially has no core values? 

Does he just want to WIN?  That pretty much sums up our President also. I have so many questions and few answers.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
I have so many questions and few answers.   That pretty much sums up our President also.

FIFY
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
I don't want to have to hold my nose again when I vote again for president.

FTFY

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
I think Mitt Romney is purposely not saying anything substantive about his positions on gun control during the campaign so far.  Yes, it is one of his weaknesses and a negative for many Americans.  I don't want to have to hold my nose when I vote again for president.

He says he wants to enforce the laws that are on the books.  That is not good enough for me.  That is a standard evasive politican statement.  Would he support a national FOID card?  Would he support a national registry?  Would he support charging firearm owners an annual fee to own a firearm to pay for a registry?  Does he support a national waiting period when he knows it has little effect on crime?

Does he feel it is a state's issue?  He has already said he supported MA gun laws which are some of the toughest in the country.  What does he really believe?  Would he support new legislation that is more restrctive relative to gun control?  Or is he the gutless politician that changes his views to fit a campaign and essentially has no core values? 

Does he just want to WIN?  That pretty much sums up our President also. I have so many questions and few answers.

Meh... Bolded above is exactly it. And that means...

I'd bet my current stash in the gun-fund (roughly $900) that he'll be mostly status-quo on guns and RKBA. He'll be no worse than Bush II was. ATF gets cleaned up a bit, not dramatically, as we'd actually like to see, but the worst of it like Gunwalker goes away.  No major EO's on imports etc.

He's enough of a "finger in the wind" type that I sincerely doubt we'd see anything outrageous from him in regards to guns, and go against the largely pro-RKBA national trend that's gone on since the '94 watershed.

Seeing as even Reagan and Bush I gave us lousy SCOTUS pics, Mitt is no guarantee either, but IMO, you can guarantee that Obama would pick a bunch more "Wise Latinas" and Janet Reno/Napolitano/Kagan looking short haired... er.. things to take the bench.

The pros and cons of all this really has me on the bleeding knife-edge between holding my nose, and voting for Mitt, and then going home to cry in the shower while scrubbing till I'm raw and the hot water runs out, and an actual protest vote.

In my darker moods, I'm more pragmatic. I'm simply thinking "Who will give me and my kids more time to prepare?" and "Who will be most likely to leave me armed for when it all goes to hell?".
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
The pros and cons of all this really has me on the bleeding knife-edge between holding my nose, and voting for Mitt, and then going home to cry in the shower while scrubbing till I'm raw and the hot water runs out, and an actual protest vote.
Given a choice between Obama and Romney, I might could vote for Gary Johnson...

In the primary I'm gonna vote for Ron Paul, if it harelips everybody on Bear Creek. (or even if it doesn't)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
I've heard campaign speech sound bites from Romney that go both ways depending on who he was talking to. 

At lunch, Rush was talking about a couple of OpEd pieces that seem to have suddenly realized that "Hey, can we really count on Republican voters to actually get out and vote for Romney?"  Where have they been?  [See McCain '08]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
I have a pair of flip-flops I wear to the pool. I think that I should name the left one Obama and the other Romney.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
Has he ever worked to reduce gun laws in MA as govenor?

At a gun show back in 2008, when I was manning the Ron Paul booth, we took at the flyer the Romney booth had out.

He took credit for loosening some restrictions on muzzle loaders.  Wooo!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »
"Hey, can we really count on Republican voters to actually get out and vote for Romney?"  Where have they been?  [See McCain '08]

He is probably going to have to depend on his vice presidental choice like McCain. 

If he wants people to get excited about his candidacy, he is going to have to support something like Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan.  Romney is a very ho hum kind of guy politically.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
I will go out on a limb and say Romney is NOT a flip-flopper. In fact I believe most flip-floppers are not flip-floppers. If you want to know where he stands, go to his first opinions on the subject. Everything else is just vote hunting. Certainly some people will legitimately flip-flop on an issue, but usually after some life-changing experience. In the political realm of firearms, look at Carolyn McCarthy and Suzanna Hupp (one could argue they really didn't flip-flop, just became much more focused on the pro or anti-2nd side). Romney has had no epiphany moment that I know of to make him firearms friendly.

If Romney is elected, don't think for a second that he wouldn't rush to sign renewal of the AWB, or a national waiting period on firearms purchases if either were presented to him. Especially if, God forbid, he was in a lame duck second term.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:42:20 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
He's a professional politician. He is not going to take a stand where he doesn't have to. Say what people want to hear and avoid stepping in political poo, whatever it takes to get elected/re-elected.
The founding fathers were business men, leaders with a vision that formed a new government and then went back to their lives after giving service to the new country for a limited time.
I detest professional politicians.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
.........If Romney is elected, don't think for a second that he wouldn't rush to sign renewal of the AWB, or a national waiting period on firearms purchases if either were presented to him. Especially if, God forbid, he was in a lame duck second term.

I agree.  A real question is how desirous the kongress will be for a new AWB or other antigun legislation.  A number of them still recall how the 1994 ban came back and hurt them the next voting day.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:19 AM »
His being governor of Assachussetts is reason enough not to vote for him.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
His being governor of Assachussetts is reason enough not to vote for him.
I understand, but what if he is the republican candidate in November?  I don't like his background with respect to firearms rights, but I am unwilling to stand by and do nothing while Obama is reelected. 
I had the same conundrum with Bush/Gore in 2000.  Shrubbie promised to re authorize the AWB. :facepalm: [barf]  But Gore was --IMHO -- so much worse overall I held my breath and voted for Shrubbie.
Sadly, I think it's going to be somewhat the same these twelve years later.
It has been a long time since I was able to enthusiastically support any candidate................ :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
I understand, but what if he is the republican candidate in November?  I don't like his background with respect to firearms rights, but I am unwilling to stand by and do nothing while Obama is reelected. 
I had the same conundrum with Bush/Gore in 2000.  Shrubbie promised to re authorize the AWB. :facepalm: [barf]  But Gore was --IMHO -- so much worse overall I held my breath and voted for Shrubbie.
Sadly, I think it's going to be somewhat the same these twelve years later.
It has been a long time since I was able to enthusiastically support any candidate................ :'(

I did the same thing and felt the same way during Bush term two, but find I can't bring myself to do it this time. Looking at overall stances and averaging out pluses and minuses, I see nothing about Romney that is better than Obama. Choosing someone that boils the water slightly slower is no longer an option for me.

I'll be voting for Ron Paul as the Republican candidate, or as an Independent candidate, or writing him in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
The founding fathers were business men, leaders with a vision that formed a new government and then went back to their lives after giving service to the new country for a limited time.

Actually, no. Washington, Jefferson, Adams, and many others could be described as career politicians.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »
Actually, no. Washington, Jefferson, Adams, and many others could be described as career politicians.

Ummmm... what? Washington could be described as a career politician?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

agricola

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
At a gun show back in 2008, when I was manning the Ron Paul booth, we took at the flyer the Romney booth had out.

He took credit for loosening some restrictions on muzzle loaders.  Wooo!

Was the slogan

"You musket out and vote for Romney"?

*gets coat*
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
Was the slogan

*gets coat*

You got a lot of balls to post that  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
Was the slogan

*gets coat*

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for coming down to see our little performance tonight.

agricola will be doing another show tonight, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.

Please save you rotten tomatoes until the end of his performance.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.