Author Topic: 8th grade student supended and arrested for wearing a NRA shirt to school.  (Read 12122 times)

ssteven1

It is hard to understand how this became an issue to the point that the 8th grader was arrested. Seems crazy that they would do this from the information given.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/22020264/8th-grade-student-arrested-over-gun-t-shirt

{snip}

adively here:
Welcome to APS. Since this is your first post, I would like to point you to our policy on posting copyrighted content: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=25455.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:12:14 PM by adively »

HankB

• friend
IF THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO THE STORY it would seem that they have a good case against the school, the arresting officer, and the police department - false arrest, false charges, official oppression, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
Arrested for what?????

$hit like this is why the system has such a crayy reputation, and those who work in it even worse.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Arrested for what?????

$hit like this is why the system has such a crayy reputation, and those who work in it even worse.

"obstruction and disturbing the education process"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Probably won't happen but I'd sure like to see the NRA step up on this one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
In similar cases I have read about, the depiction of firearms on clothing often comes under the 'depiction of violence' category as forbidden wear.  I clicked on the link and saw that the t-shirt depicted an AR-15.  Piss poor judgment, in my opinion, for the student to wear something like that so soon after Newtown.  Does it rise to an arrestable offense, I would like to hear more of the story before forming an opinion.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
That it could even be considered an arrestable offense at all shows how utterly stupid and nonsensical our society has become.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
I weep for our society where the mere depiction of an inanimate object that someone used to do something bad is considered evil thought crime.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I weep for our society where the mere depiction of an inanimate object that someone used to do something bad is considered evil thought crime.

But it does happen.  Consider the swastika post 1930's.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis

Yes, but such things were considered an offense against societal standards and good taste.  Now they are criminal offenses.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Yes, but such things were considered an offense against societal standards and good taste.  Now they are criminal offenses.

The story is light on the details, but I suspect that the kid was arrested for more than merely wearing the shirt.  I suspect he got into an argument or the like with the teacher, and that was the arrestable offense.  The kid's father says that the kid was not aggressive, but as we often see, there are at least two sides to every story.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

Swastika's are symbols, which definitionally have implicit meanings. They are visual representations of ideas, not a neutral inanimate object.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Could well be he got into some kind of dustup with the teacher.  Used to be kids got sent to the principal's office when that happened.  Parents called, kid sanctioned in some fashion, etc.  It sure is different these days.
(Got paddled by the vice principal myself once or twice in high school.  :angel: Them were the good ole days.)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Swastika's are symbols, which definitionally have implicit meanings. They are visual representations of ideas, not a neutral inanimate object.

Oh, I don't disagree.  But sometimes that concept gets lost in the shuffle.  It would be as if you wore a t-shirt to school or the office depicting a flaming cross as a celebration of your Southern Scots-Irish ancestral rites.  I suspect most people would draw a different interpretation, though.

zxcvbob

• friend
I sent an email to the reporter; told him the kid needs to contact thefire.org (I have no affiliation.)  They love to handle 1st Amendment violations like this.  I copied fire@thefire.org

"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
For many people, and many teachers, AR15's are the same sort of symbol.

The fact that that makes them bigoted and ignorant doesn't change they're emotional investment in the "evil assault weapon" idea.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:41:34 PM by dogmush »

AZRedhawk44

• friends

An NRA shirt is not a neutral inanimate object.  It's a symbol that stands for something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
An NRA shirt is not a neutral inanimate object.  It's a symbol that stands for something.

It's a depiction of a neutral inanimate object (the rifle) which is being fussed at.

For many people, and many teachers, AR15's are the same sort of symbol.

The fact that that makes them bigoted and ignorant doesn't change they're emotional investment in the "evil assault weapon" idea.

And some teachers would undoubtedly find a pro-Jewish shirt just as offensive. Those people can suck it.

Oh, I don't disagree.  But sometimes that concept gets lost in the shuffle.  It would be as if you wore a t-shirt to school or the office depicting a flaming cross as a celebration of your Southern Scots-Irish ancestral rites.  I suspect most people would draw a different interpretation, though.

Wow, that's kind of insulting to Southerners isn't it? That being said, still not the same thing, thanks for playing.

brimic

• friends
Probably won't happen but I'd sure like to see the NRA ACLU step up on this one.
FIFY

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends

I wore a Huldra Arms T-shirt in Jamaica (not a very pro-gun country) and got a lot of compliments  on it :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
I wore a Huldra Arms T-shirt in Jamaica (not a very pro-gun country) and got a lot of compliments  on it :rofl:

According to the Jamericans I've worked with Jamaica is a very pro-gun country, everyone who wants one, has one. Of course there is the law, but the place is so corrupt it doesn't get enforced unless selectively.

I made clay guns in middle school art class. I got permission to use a functional air rifle as partof a halloween costume. Carried a knife all high school. I did have two minor dust-ups with authorities, apparently it is frowned upon to disassemble the school bus with a swiss army knife. Also not the best to bring you improvised munitions FM into school to show a buddy. No doubt I'd be under the jail today.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
"obstruction and disturbing the education process"

So, is that a crime?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

drewtam

• friend
I am starting to think this father (and other parents) need to be charge with child neglect... for putting their kids in public schools.

There is a significant home-school contingent in my social circles. Maybe my daughter needs to join them.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

grampster

• friend
I often wear my Celebrate Diversity T-shirt.  There are several rows of firearms on the front of the shirt. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
And some teachers would undoubtedly find a pro-Jewish shirt just as offensive. Those people can suck it.

So, I take it we can count you as a staunch supporter of diversity of opinion?  Or just opinions that you agree with?