Author Topic: Trump picks fight with Jonah Golberg, loses  (Read 6243 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Trump picks fight with Jonah Golberg, loses
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
The Donald may be a lot of great things, but intellectual heavyweight isn't one of 'em.  He shoulda known better than to embroil himself in a personal feud with an actual heavyweight like Jonah Goldberg.  But he's not that smart.  Goldberg just demonstrated that when it comes to conservative political debate, where evidence and reason matter, and where anger and emotion are signs intellectual emptiness, Trump is completely outclassed.  

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421045/donald-trump-fraud

Do read the whole thing, especially if you think Trump is a serious guy.  If you like what he's saying, then hold tight and watch your wallet.  You're being conned.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Trump picks fight with Jonah Golberg, loses
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
Questions of ideological purity aside, I would not knowingly spar in words with George Will, Charles Krauthammer, and Jonah Goldberg individually, much less simultaneously.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
While I admire Trump in some ways -- mostly for telling it "how it is and sticking to what was said" (within the context ONLY of these current debates) -- I find that on studying his past reveals several problems.
He has, in the past, supported liberal agendas, and also given liberals (like Hillary, for example) money.
I am more forgiving of his monetary donations.  It is said that businesses give democrats $$ to keep them of their heels, regulation-wise, while they give republicans $$ to support their (supposedly) business-friendly agendas.  If Trump was givng libs money to keep 'em off his heels, well, I don't really "like" it but I understand it -- and Trump is not the only business guy doing that.
However, his past support of some lib agendas does bother me.  He purports to be a conservative now.  Really?  Did he have an epiphany or was he taught a lesson somewhere?  Or (as I suspect) is he jumping on what he sees as a convenient politically correct right wing bandwagon to accrue "brownie points" with a supposed electorate?
I am seriously questioning his bona fides ....

"Send in the clowns ....send in the clowns ....don't bother, they're here." >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »
Meh... broken record on this, but I'll say it again. There should be a rule or agreement in place that Trump is forced to switch parties every other time for his fake POTUS runs.

He would have just as easily staked out a pro-immigration position, saying businesses like his need the labor, and blasting "native Americans" who won't take those jobs, or show up for them reliably.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Quote from: Donald Trump
“I’m a big fan of Hillary. She’s a terrific woman. She’s a friend of mine.”
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »

As I recall, Trump has his clothing line made in China by your normal sweatshop labor, while decrying folks who ship jobs overseas. I admit, I did laugh
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
I always enjoy reading Jonah Goldberg's columns. In this one, he just completely eviscerated Trump. There's almost nothing left to say about The Donald.

That was exquisite. Thank you.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »
As I recall, Trump has his clothing line made in China by your normal sweatshop labor, while decrying folks who ship jobs overseas. I admit, I did laugh

When was the last time you tried to find clothing made in the USA?  Beyond extremely automated clothing manufacture like underwear and t-shirts, it's hard to do.

pawcatch

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »
The fact that Goldberg and Krauthammer have responded back when they originally just brushed Trump off tells me that they truly fear him.
Trump's  poll numbers have continued to climb despite him being attacked at all angles. Trump must be cast from the same mold as John L. Sullivan to still be even standing, let alone in a dead heat with Jeb Bush.

Also, isn't this the first time Trump actually officially declared his candidacy? He's dead serious and that's why he's dangerous.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »
When was the last time you tried to find clothing made in the USA?  Beyond extremely automated clothing manufacture like underwear and t-shirts, it's hard to do.

Carhartt jeans and Wigwam socks are easy to find.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »
The fact that Goldberg and Krauthammer have responded back when they originally just brushed Trump off tells me that they truly fear him.
Trump's  poll numbers have continued to climb despite him being attacked at all angles.

Why do you think it's fear, and not just the fact that they are paid to express opinions? Also, the fact that Trump is a hot topic right now, and that's all the motive they really need to talk about Trump. They want audience and page clicks, just like everyone else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »
"Never get into a fight with someone that buys ink buy the barrel."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »
"Never get into a fight with someone that buys ink buy the barrel."

Which side in this ho-down buys ink by the barrel?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I sure do hope that Goldberg would win a war of printed words with Trump, given:
1. Purposeful word arrangement is Goldberg's profession.
2. Goldberg has zero concrete accomplishments(1) or failures to criticize, whereas Trump has plenty of both to mine for material.
3. Goldberg has finely honed his political stance on this & that to be perfectly in accord with Conservative, Incorporated. 
4. Trump's political stances are not nearly as well thought out and he obviously cares less than Goldberg about a cohesive political philosophy.
5. Goldberg has never faced a situation where he must either compromise his principles or fail; where failure is not just personal, but has knock-on effects to include firing good employees.

My opinion as to why Trump resonates:
1. Raises issues such as immigration and "free" trade that the political class has decided not to let the American people have a say on.
2. Trump comes across as someone who actually likes America in an instinctive, "Of course, I love America" fashion.
3. Trump has concrete accomplishments(1).
4. GOP leadership does not share points 1-3.
5. GOP leadership has reneged on its commitments to quash ObamaSCOTUScare.
6. GOP leadership has reneged on its commitments to reign in BHO's orgy of illegitimate executive power.
7. GOP leadership did not cut off funding BHO's backdoor amnesty.

IOW, Trump's existence in the GOP POTUS candidate race is almost wholly attributable to failure, lies, corruption, and disgusting cowardice in the GOP, especially the leadership. 

(1) Opposed accomplishments, where there are folk doing their bast to thwart your success and succeed themselves.

Why do you think it's fear, and not just the fact that they are paid to express opinions? Also, the fact that Trump is a hot topic right now, and that's all the motive they really need to talk about Trump. They want audience and page clicks, just like everyone else.

I think they (JG, CK, etc.) fear Trump because he has the potential to upset the GOP apple cart.  I think GOP leadership is pissing down its leg in fear.  I think the coordinated attacks, in which JG & CK are but two participants, point to a real fear.  Attack #1 was the equivalent of pointing and screaming at Trump because he was so gauche as to speak of immigration in terms most Americans speak of it.  Same with trade.  When that proved ineffective, Attack #2 went to the well of Trump's real estate deals, some of which included eminent domain in one way or another.  Attack #3 is the Kitchen Sink Approach, where any and every act or statement by Trump that might be unattractive to actual conservative voters is propped up and made to sing.

JG, CK, and the rest of Conservatism, Incorporated, have not done this to any other candidates in near the intensity and frequency.  Mostly because they can be expected to be god Donor Party candidates.

For my own part, I have little faith Trump will be a lasting force in the race.  I also do not think he has a coherent political philosophy.  I hope he stays in as long as possible and causes the GOP leadership as much butthurt as possible.  Were I hopeful about the political milieu, I might even hope that Trump and Sanders might cause the GOP and Dems to crumble and rupture. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »
Goldberg's insights on Trump are right on the money.  Trump is resonating with certain people on the right not because he's telling them the truth, but because he's telling them what they want to hear.  That's an important distinction.  Trump is demagoguing the right and far too many of us are falling for it.

Trump's political ambition is a con job.  He'll slip up eventually, say something that belies the farce, and people will wise up.  The only question is whether that happens before or after Trump does real damage to the cause.

The reason Krauthammer and Goldberg and other intellectual conservatives dislike Trump is because they see through the fraud, and because they have real concerns about the damage Trump can cause.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 09:22:58 PM »
Goldberg's insights on Trump are right on the money.  Trump is resonating with certain people on the right not because he's telling them the truth, but because he's telling them what they want to hear.  That's an important distinction.  Trump is demagoguing the right and far too many of us are falling for it.

Trump's political ambition is a con job.  He'll slip up eventually, say something that belies the farce, and people will wise up.  The only question is whether that happens before or after Trump does real damage to the cause.

The reason Krauthammer and Goldberg and other intellectual conservatives dislike Trump is because they see through the fraud, and because they have real concerns about the damage Trump can cause.

Which of the major GOP candidates is not a con job?  Thus far they are nothing more than a pot full of Donor Party butt boys and vanity candidates.  I would say Trump fits right in, with the exception that he has actual concrete accomplishments.

Goldberg and Kraut don't see anything other folks don't.  It just happens to be their ox being gored by Trump.  They are part of the problem. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
I agree with every single thing roo_ster posted.

Trump is the symptom, not the problem.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
I agree with every single thing roo_ster posted.

Trump is the symptom, not the problem.

Hitch your cause to his wagon and I suspect he will soon become the problem as well.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
I don't see many people who think Trump would be a good President, or even who think he will get a shot at it. They mostly just hate the Republican establishment and are glomming onto anyone who seems to be lashing out at them. His past support of Hillary, his calls for socialized medicine, his eminent domain abuse, his support for gun control, his flip flopping on immigration and abortion etc etc etc... That's all in the past, and requires reading, and ain't nobody got time fo dat.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 12:34:42 AM »
Hitch your cause to his wagon and I suspect he will soon become the problem as well.

I ain't doing that fo sho. Just making a point about what happens in a charisma vacuum.

Not to Godwin the hell out of the thread but...we are experiencing the sort of rapidly increasing cultural malaise that led to the rise of Hitler.

If we had serious, crippling economic trouble either this cycle or the next, all bets are off as far as who we get, and what their title ultimately is.

Maybe it's not fair of me to ultimately lay this at the feet of the GOP. But Trump and anyone who follows his mode of picking fights and enjoying them, whatever their ideological issues, is going to get a following in this day and age of a completely useless Republican party. Who, by the way, think that they are your entitled to your votes for their constant attempts at Failure Theater.

Trump could not have existed in any previous election to 2008. Liberals will point out the fact that his equivalent didn't exist as proof that the GOP is becoming radicalized. For some of the base, this is true: however these are people who, like myself, believe that the country is in an existential crisis. Even if they are not smart enough to understand that Trump is playing some kind of game.

Those people and their dissatisfaction with the GOP is not going away, even if Trump does.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
I sure do hope that Goldberg would win a war of printed words with Trump, given:
1. Purposeful word arrangement is Goldberg's profession.
2. Goldberg has zero concrete accomplishments(1) or failures to criticize, whereas Trump has plenty of both to mine for material.
3. Goldberg has finely honed his political stance on this & that to be perfectly in accord with Conservative, Incorporated.  
4. Trump's political stances are not nearly as well thought out and he obviously cares less than Goldberg about a cohesive political philosophy.
5. Goldberg has never faced a situation where he must either compromise his principles or fail; where failure is not just personal, but has knock-on effects to include firing good employees.

My opinion as to why Trump resonates:
1. Raises issues such as immigration and "free" trade that the political class has decided not to let the American people have a say on.
2. Trump comes across as someone who actually likes America in an instinctive, "Of course, I love America" fashion.
3. Trump has concrete accomplishments(1).
4. GOP leadership does not share points 1-3.
5. GOP leadership has reneged on its commitments to quash ObamaSCOTUScare.
6. GOP leadership has reneged on its commitments to reign in BHO's orgy of illegitimate executive power.
7. GOP leadership did not cut off funding BHO's backdoor amnesty.

IOW, Trump's existence in the GOP POTUS candidate race is almost wholly attributable to failure, lies, corruption, and disgusting cowardice in the GOP, especially the leadership.  

(1) Opposed accomplishments, where there are folk doing their bast to thwart your success and succeed themselves.

I think they (JG, CK, etc.) fear Trump because he has the potential to upset the GOP apple cart.  I think GOP leadership is pissing down its leg in fear.  I think the coordinated attacks, in which JG & CK are but two participants, point to a real fear.  Attack #1 was the equivalent of pointing and screaming at Trump because he was so gauche as to speak of immigration in terms most Americans speak of it.  Same with trade.  When that proved ineffective, Attack #2 went to the well of Trump's real estate deals, some of which included eminent domain in one way or another.  Attack #3 is the Kitchen Sink Approach, where any and every act or statement by Trump that might be unattractive to actual conservative voters is propped up and made to sing.

JG, CK, and the rest of Conservatism, Incorporated, have not done this to any other candidates in near the intensity and frequency.  Mostly because they can be expected to be god Donor Party candidates.

For my own part, I have little faith Trump will be a lasting force in the race.  I also do not think he has a coherent political philosophy.  I hope he stays in as long as possible and causes the GOP leadership as much butthurt as possible.  Were I hopeful about the political milieu, I might even hope that Trump and Sanders might cause the GOP and Dems to crumble and rupture.  

Trump's resonance has made me rethink my support in the race.

My first choice is, and has been, Bobby Jindal. However, if I am to put my money where my mouth is and actually act out my belief that one of the most serious issues the country faces is the political class itself, I really ought not to be voting for someone who has done nothing but (or little else than) be a politician.

I'm giving some real thought to supporting Mrs. Fiorina.

On that theme:

Carly Fiorina said in an interview Sunday that fellow GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump is “tapping into an anger that I hear every day.”

“People are angry that a commonsense thing like securing the border or ending sanctuary cities is somehow considered extreme,” she told ABC’s “This Week.” “It's not extreme, it's commonsense. We need to secure the border.”
“People are also angry at a professional political class of both parties that talks a good game, gives good speeches, but somehow nothing ever really changes,” she added. “And people are angry as well at a double standard in the media.”
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
If you are looking for an incrementalism candidate who is going to move things our way then it is hard to beat Scott Walker or maybe even Rick Perry. Both have reasonably conservative resumes and their states have done well under their governance.  

It's hard to believe either of those guys are going to fundamentally change America though. Having said that, Walker has to a real degree inflicted damage on the entrenched leftist power structure in his state.

The Republicans will have to really pull a rabbit out of their hats to get my vote this time around.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
I ain't doing that fo sho. Just making a point about what happens in a charisma vacuum.

Not to Godwin the hell out of the thread but...we are experiencing the sort of rapidly increasing cultural malaise that led to the rise of Hitler.

If we had serious, crippling economic trouble either this cycle or the next, all bets are off as far as who we get, and what their title ultimately is.

Maybe it's not fair of me to ultimately lay this at the feet of the GOP. But Trump and anyone who follows his mode of picking fights and enjoying them, whatever their ideological issues, is going to get a following in this day and age of a completely useless Republican party. Who, by the way, think that they are your entitled to your votes for their constant attempts at Failure Theater.

Trump could not have existed in any previous election to 2008. Liberals will point out the fact that his equivalent didn't exist as proof that the GOP is becoming radicalized. For some of the base, this is true: however these are people who, like myself, believe that the country is in an existential crisis. Even if they are not smart enough to understand that Trump is playing some kind of game.

Those people and their dissatisfaction with the GOP is not going away, even if Trump does.

Well, I almost wasn't gonna post one of my opinions, but since you went first...  :laugh:

I have to say, I also have had thoughts, at least from the snippets on the news of Trump and the audiences he speaks to, and their vocal reactions, of his talks very much resembling certain beer hall talks. Failed establishment, a segment of society to blame stuff on, new blood, power to the people -- it's all eerily similar. While I won't equate Trump to Hitler, there is no doubt he is raising support on a similar theme of failed establishment and quick solutions to prosperity for people who feel they've been taken advantage of. And hey, which of us that has been pulling a cart with far too many freeloaders in it doesn't feel a bit taken advantage of?

Kinda reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kysRQP0ca7s

All that said, I still stand by my statement that Trump would probably make a good Secretary of Transportation and make good and efficient use of every infrastructure penny. He's just not suited to the big chair, and his broad brush thoughts on foreign policy, in relation to his experience, knowledge (or lack thereof) and temperament, would have me building a bunker two minutes after he was elected. I'm also still of the thought that he's doing this for self-marketing, and if it shakes up establishment republicrats, so much the better.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
Related Question:  In a leader, which is more important?  The personal intelligence and smarts of the leader or the leader's ability to choose and evaluate the best people working for him?  Or do you think those go together?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge