Author Topic: Trump picks fight with Jonah Golberg, loses  (Read 6242 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump picks fight with Jonah Golberg, loses
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
Related Question:  In a leader, which is more important?  The personal intelligence and smarts of the leader or the leader's ability to choose and evaluate the best people working for him?  Or do you think those go together?

I think they go together. A good leader HAS to put smart, experienced people in key positions, and not their bestest golfing buddies. Part 2, and most important, a good leader has to listen to the people in those positions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
Related Question:  In a leader, which is more important?  The personal intelligence and smarts of the leader or the leader's ability to choose and evaluate the best people working for him?  Or do you think those go together?

Clearly #2. Personal intelligence is good, but good judgement is better.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:26 PM »
Clearly #2. Personal intelligence is good, but good judgement is better.

I would argue that judgement and intelligence are highly correlated. Ref: "hold my beer and watch this" videos on youtube. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
I would argue that judgement and intelligence are highly correlated. Ref: "hold my beer and watch this" videos on youtube. :)

To a point. It's been my experience that as the intelligent quotient increases past a certain point, the judgement quotient (to coin a term) decreases, especially with regard to other people.

I'd prefer someone 1 standard deviation above the mean with the capability of judging other's character and capabilities than someone three standard deviations above the mean without those qualities.

So, yes, there needs to be a minimum level of intelligence (not average), but the greater the judgement, the better.

Only tangentially related to this is the account I've read of Earnest Shackleton. The author seems to think Shackleton was randomly choosing people for the expedition, for oddball reasons, but in the failed South Pole expedition, the group held together perfectly with only 2 (out of 56) who broke down under the strain.

He picked 56 people out of a total of 5,000 applications and only failed in his judgement of character twice. THAT is the kind of judgement I would like. Clearly he was highly intelligent, but it is his judgement I prefer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
Only tangentially related to this is the account I've read of Earnest Shackleton. The author seems to think Shackleton was randomly choosing people for the expedition, for oddball reasons, but in the failed South Pole expedition, the group held together perfectly with only 2 (out of 56) who broke down under the strain.

He picked 56 people out of a total of 5,000 applications and only failed in his judgement of character twice.

Did he really fail twice? Maybe any of the other, rejected applicants would have cracked, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
Did he really fail twice? Maybe any of the other, rejected applicants would have cracked, too.
Someone who cracks during the mission is a greater liability than someone who does not go on the expedition.

So, yes, those two are failures.  But, still, dude could pick his people.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »
Aaand...his people put SS troops into a campaign poster.

http://twitchy.com/2015/07/14/did-dingus-donald-trump-seriously-use-nazis-in-his-campaign-poster-screenshot/
I really, really hope this is just garden variety incompetence.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »
I really, really hope this is just garden variety incompetence.

I'm sure it was just incompetent staff. I think one of the major Democrats did something similar a ways back mixing up US service members with some other country. I wouldn't expect average people to know the difference (sadly), but if you're on someone's campaign staff, it seems like one of the more important things to check in the editing process.

Also I thought it was coincidentally funny given my beer hall comment. :)