Author Topic: Trump is Wrong  (Read 2062 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump is Wrong
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
In the interest of "fair and balanced", here's one where Trump is wrong IMO. During the "Sheriff's meeting" he joked about ruining the career of the TX state Senator who is fighting asset forfeiture laws in the state. I will concede that Trump was joking about the "ruin the career" thing, and will give him the benefit of doubt that he may not have understood what the Sheriff was referring to.

He needs to educate himself on the topic though. I would be sorely disappointed to see him as a proponent of "forfeiture before conviction".

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/02/08/republican-tx-state-senator-konni-burton-fires-back-at-trump-sheriff-over-civil-asset-forfeiture/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Trump is Wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
Bad joke. 

Given it was likely a joke, I assume he is familiar with the issue.  Don't know if I have ever heard him comment on that issue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Bad joke. 

Given it was likely a joke, I assume he is familiar with the issue.  Don't know if I have ever heard him comment on that issue. 

Well, I was just figuring the "destroy them" line was a joke, but he was shaking his head in the incredulous, "Why would someone do that?"  fashion when the sheriff talked about the Senator wanting to restrict forfeiture. Hence my concern that he doesn't actually understand the issue. Or at least it's my hope that misunderstanding is the case. If he understands it and has no problem with it, then I have a problem with him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
I hope he was just trying to be nice to the sheriff . . . because there's something very wrong with seizing private property without so much as criminal charges being filed, much less a conviction.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
Someone should have respectfully reminded Trump that they hoped that was an attempt at a joke, because threatening a member of the legislature like that is serious, and we [Texans] have a long memory.  (implying he could be indicted and cuffed as soon as he leaves office)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »
I hope he was just trying to be nice to the sheriff . . . because there's something very wrong with seizing private property without so much as criminal charges being filed, much less a conviction.
I fully agree with this sentiment, but note that it would be sort of hard for Trump to play the "just being nice" card considering that a big part of his shtick is being the brash, loudmouthed, calls-it-like-I-sees-it jerk.

In my opinion, being nice would be to say: "I certainly understand how important you find the funds that you are able to raise through this channel.  That said, no matter how useful it may be I find it morally questionable - big league.  My next Executive Order will direct the Department of Justice and the DEA to immediately cease pursing civil asset forfeitures outside of criminal trials.  No one write executive orders as well as me.  They will further be directed to permanently terminate 'profit sharing' programs which allow local law enforcement agencies to skirt state laws intended to limit the use of seized funds."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
I fully agree with this sentiment, but note that it would be sort of hard for Trump to play the "just being nice" card considering that a big part of his shtick is being the brash, loudmouthed, calls-it-like-I-sees-it jerk.

In my opinion, being nice would be to say: "I certainly understand how important you find the funds that you are able to raise through this channel.  That said, no matter how useful it may be I find it morally questionable - big league.  My next Executive Order will direct the Department of Justice and the DEA to immediately cease pursing civil asset forfeitures outside of criminal trials.  No one write executive orders as well as me.  They will further be directed to permanently terminate 'profit sharing' programs which allow local law enforcement agencies to skirt state laws intended to limit the use of seized funds."

IMHO, he doesn't understand the issue yet (at all) and was trying to make a joke to deflect the issue while showing support for LE.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
IMHO, he doesn't understand the issue yet (at all) and was trying to make a joke to deflect the issue while showing support for LE.

That's what I'm hoping.  After all, how much cash do you think he'd think nothing of walking around with, compared to how little has been seized in AF cases?  I'm sure he doesn't normally keep a couple grand in his wallet, but I doubt he'd think twice about taking $x thousand in cash to get something (or sending someone with cash to get it) if there was a true cash only discount or any other benefit to paying in genuine greenbacks.  Understanding that the presence of the cash alone is cause to seize it without recourse would likely get his attention and be considered repulsive to him.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »

In my opinion, being nice would be to say: "I certainly understand how important you find the funds that you are able to raise through this channel.  That said, no matter how useful it may be I find it morally questionable - big league.  My next Executive Order will direct the Department of Justice and the DEA to immediately cease pursing civil asset forfeitures outside of criminal trials.  No one write executive orders as well as me.  They will further be directed to permanently terminate 'profit sharing' programs which allow local law enforcement agencies to skirt state laws intended to limit the use of seized funds."

I heard the tail end of an interview on one of my local talk radio stations with a local sheriff that was in that meeting. The sheriff said it was a joke, and everyone in the room knew it. She (the sheriff) also said he (Trump) was as nice as could be and that he made a point of inviting them all into the Oval Office joking that it was dumb they were 10 feet away and no one had invited them in. They then proceeded to joke around, chat, and took pictures and whatnot. I did not hear the entire interview; I know the radio host is not a fan of civil forfeiture. I got the impression this is yet again the media trying to stick anything negative they can to Trump by taking things out of context.

As for Trump and civil forfeiture. Unfortunately I think along with the Drug War and 4th Amendment rights which all have gone hand in hand over the last 5 decades or so, that Trump might be on the wrong side of this. In other words supportive of the Drug War, possibly civil forfeiture, etc. I hope I'm wrong or that someone can help him understand why he is on the wrong side. I think he sees it as part of his law and order stance; which while understandable is going down the road of good intentions that lead to bad actions and unintended consequences.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »
He's a big fan of eminent domain, wouldn't be surprised if civil forfeiture was fine by him too.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
Yes, most conservatives have no respect for the 4th amendment, unfortunately.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »
He's a big fan of eminent domain, wouldn't be surprised if civil forfeiture was fine by him too.

Eminent domain requires compensation and a much more in-depth process than asset forfeiture, (and AFAIK, there generally has to be an attempt to simply buy the property at a fair price before invoking eminent domain) and there's a lot more opportunity for the victim to argue the fair market value of the property in question.  It's not a case of .gov simply taking your stuff willy-nilly without any compensation, as asset forfeiture is.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »
I think getting upset or even concerned every time Trump says something you don't like is going to get old.  We should expect him to put his foot in his mouth occasionally.  It is just the nature of who he is.  It got him the support he needed to be President, but it also hurts at times. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
It's not a case of .gov simply taking your stuff willy-nilly without any compensation, as asset forfeiture is.

Yes, they are different and civil forfeiture is flat out wrong while eminent domain is simply misused and abused by the government at the request of the rich & powerful like Trump. But they are both in the same vein of an overreaching government doing what it thinks it needs to in order to get something done for "the public good".
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »

As for Trump and civil forfeiture. Unfortunately I think along with the Drug War and 4th Amendment rights which all have gone hand in hand over the last 5 decades or so, that Trump might be on the wrong side of this. In other words supportive of the Drug War, possibly civil forfeiture, etc. I hope I'm wrong or that someone can help him understand why he is on the wrong side. I think he sees it as part of his law and order stance; which while understandable is going down the road of good intentions that lead to bad actions and unintended consequences.

His AG pick is an ardent drug warrior.

This is not going to change for the better under Trump.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

markdido

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 11:28:01 PM »
Obama said, "If they bring a knife, we bring a gun"

And he wasn't joking.
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 12:27:08 AM »
I think getting upset or even concerned every time Trump says something you don't like is going to get old.  We should expect him to put his foot in his mouth occasionally.  It is just the nature of who he is.  It got him the support he needed to be President, but it also hurts at times. 

Don't fall into the trap of thinking he's always on the right side of any given issue just because the left hates him so much.

He is from a big business background and this is the kind of thing I did expect would be among his real faults as a politician.
I highly doubt he's been all that concerned with how property has been acquired when he wanted to build in the past, and I don't think that kind of lack of consciousness on the subject has changed.

Trump is a little tin god. I think he can be useful and a good president, but not one without faults.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
We're going to be saying "Trump is wrong" from time to time over the next 4 to 8 years. Shrug. At least he's better than the last guy, or the other candidate.

I was thinking the other day that Trump is the price we paid to avoid the horror and embarrassment of another Clinton administration. We may not like everything in the package that is DJT, but is it worth it to keep the Clintons out? YES!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
Low bar dude. I woulda voted for a Missouri sock monkey to see HRC stumble off into the sunset.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
In the interest of "fair and balanced", here's one where Trump is wrong IMO. During the "Sheriff's meeting" he joked about ruining the career of the TX state Senator who is fighting asset forfeiture laws in the state. I will concede that Trump was joking about the "ruin the career" thing, and will give him the benefit of doubt that he may not have understood what the Sheriff was referring to.

He needs to educate himself on the topic though. I would be sorely disappointed to see him as a proponent of "forfeiture before conviction".

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/02/08/republican-tx-state-senator-konni-burton-fires-back-at-trump-sheriff-over-civil-asset-forfeiture/

Trump has repeatedly shown himself to be a police state kind of guy, so if he were educated on the matter he'd probably stand behind the bad joke.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
We're going to be saying "Trump is wrong" from time to time over the next 4 to 8 years. Shrug. At least he's better than the last guy, or the other candidate.

I was thinking the other day that Trump is the price we paid to avoid the horror and embarrassment of another Clinton administration. We may not like everything in the package that is DJT, but is it worth it to keep the Clintons out? YES!!

Sure. I make posts like this because I don't want us to turn into the equivalent of "Obama is our savior and how dare you question him?!?" fans. We can like the guy, or not like the guy but appreciate him because he's living rent free in SJW heads, but we should definitely be talking about things he may do that are contrary to the freedoms and philosophy that most of us here embrace.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Trump has repeatedly shown himself to be a police state kind of guy, so if he were educated on the matter he'd probably stand behind the bad joke.

When?  Where? How?   
He wasn't the best candidate in the Republican zoo but IMHO   he's closer to Mother Theresa than Hitler.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero