Author Topic: Where do you place the odds of a 50 state sweep by Trump?  (Read 13965 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Where do you place the odds of a 50 state sweep by Trump?
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
Done correctly guns could make Virginia go red this year. It is not as blue as people want us to think and gun owners are a lot more fired up than they were a few years ago thanks to our blackface governor. A decent senate candidate also hopefully driving turnout.

I could see that in VA given how crazy the gov there went on the anti-gun stuff. Other than the fact that I hadn't thought about it since it happened until you brought it up here. That's often the problem - if it doesn't get press right before the election, people forget.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »
I just learned this, and this doesn't speak to a sweep, but Biden did not get a poll bump after the DNC.

That's only happened twice before, with McGovern and Kerry and both lost.

No one is feeling the Bidenergy.

Some polls from battle-ground states have Trump in the MoE but others are showing him with a huge lead. So what to believe there?
Normally I would say it says a lot about the election, but this year is so volatile.  It is another reason Trump should win easily all things being equal (which they really are not). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
There's a better chance the 6.5 foot asteroid headed here the day before election day will kill all life on this planet.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
I just learned this, and this doesn't speak to a sweep, but Biden did not get a poll bump after the DNC.

That's only happened twice before, with McGovern and Kerry and both lost.

No one is feeling the Bidenergy.

Some polls from battle-ground states have Trump in the MoE but others are showing him with a huge lead. So what to believe there?

Three times. Romney also got no bump.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
There's a better chance the 6.5 foot asteroid headed here the day before election day will kill all life on this planet.

Saw something where some Hollywood folks were freaking out about the planet destroying 6.5ft "asteroid".  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2020, 09:43:02 AM »
[tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Mike Adams: BREAKING: Antifa terrorists in Austin, Portland just received a large cache of weapons in preparation for coordinated multi-city “TET offensive” against America
https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/08/mike-adams-breaking-antifa-terrorists-in-austin-portland-just-received-a-large-cache-of-weapons-in-preparation-for-coordinated-multi-city-tet-offensive-against-america/

Let’s get this party swinging like Saddam Hussein.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2020, 10:43:15 AM »
[tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Mike Adams: BREAKING: Antifa terrorists in Austin, Portland just received a large cache of weapons in preparation for coordinated multi-city “TET offensive” against America
https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/08/mike-adams-breaking-antifa-terrorists-in-austin-portland-just-received-a-large-cache-of-weapons-in-preparation-for-coordinated-multi-city-tet-offensive-against-america/

While China has been caught smuggling arms into this country before, that article and the site itself are just a tad too tin-foily for my taste.  It makes me question the veracity of the claims.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »
While China has been caught smuggling arms into this country before, that article and the site itself are just a tad too tin-foily for my taste.  It makes me question the veracity of the claims.

Why I gave it a 5 out of 5 tin-foil hat rating.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2020, 10:52:02 AM »

Agreed.

And really, none of this feels that well organized.  Seems like there were protests/riots that came about fairly organically, and have been allowed to proceed in these places and grow by the actions of the local governments that are unwilling to take the necessary steps to restore order.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »
Why I gave it a 5 out of 5 tin-foil hat rating.

I completely missed that.  Shows how observant I am this morning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »
He didn't really need a bump if we're looking at historical comparisons.
Ahead of the Democratic convention, Biden had the largest pre-convention lead in two decades

Some polls from battle-ground states have Trump in the MoE but others are showing him with a huge lead.
Care to share?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2020, 11:20:58 AM »
If polls were elections we would have been saying President Hillary Clinton for the pass 3.5 years
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2020, 11:48:44 AM »
Why would anyone need to smuggle in weapons from China?

According to the Dems, anyone who wants one needs only to walk down the street the local dealer in child deaths and walk out 3 seconds later fully semi-automatic assault gun.... for free... along with an endless supply of cop killer bullets (although I doubt that they're really all that upset about the cop killer bullets part these days).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
Why would anyone need to smuggle in weapons from China?

According to the Dems, anyone who wants one needs only to walk down the street the local dealer in child deaths and walk out 3 seconds later fully semi-automatic assault gun.... for free... along with an endless supply of cop killer bullets (although I doubt that they're really all that upset about the cop killer bullets part these days).

:laugh:  I'm old enough to remember when Democrats appealed to their voters with fear-mongering about cops being killed by criminals, and not the other way around.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2020, 12:11:50 PM »
:laugh:  I'm old enough to remember when Democrats appealed to their voters with fear-mongering about cops being killed by criminals, and not the other way around.

They figured out that cops can't be counted on to automatically vote straight democrat so they threw them under the bus
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
He didn't really need a bump if we're looking at historical comparisons.Care to share?

Here's an article quoting Frank Luntz on the MoE:

https://amgreatness.com/2020/08/24/pollster-frank-luntz-says-recent-trends-have-been-in-trumps-favor/

The polls showing Trump leading I heard about from a Timcast video but he didn't provide a link. I find the guy credible though, so I'm assuming he is telling the truth here.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2020, 01:47:55 PM »
Definitely a good sign or maybe most potential DNC viewers were too busy running around in the streets

RNC viewership was 6X higher on CSPAN last night compared to the start of the DNC

I guess Americans don’t really want to be told how terrible and racist their country is by a bunch of coastal elites and B-list celebrities on a poorly produced Zoom call

🤔

— Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11) August 25, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/08/25/numbers-dont-lie-rnc-pulled-in-6x-the-number-of-cspan-viewers-than-the-dnc-and-thats-just-the-beginning/
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2020, 02:20:29 PM »
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/elliebufkin/2020/08/24/more-dnc-woes-new-poll-shows-major-drop-in-democratic-party-affiliation-n2574917

Dems losing people while Reps gaining. How much of a shift would it take to first guarantee a Trump win, second for it to be a landslide, and third, for it to be a sweep?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
"How much of a shift would it take to first guarantee a Trump win, second for it to be a landslide, and third, for it to be a sweep?"

Well, as I pointed out below, DC is the biggest reason why there will never be a Republican electoral college sweep.

In 2016, 90.86 percent of all DC voters picked Hillary. In none of the 8 wards did she get less than 80% votes cast, in 5 of them she got over 90% of the votes cast.

I mean hell, given the political situation in the country in 1984 and and Mondale still got over 85% of votes cast in DC.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that a Republican presidential candidate has ever won a single DC ward since DC residents started voting in presidential elections in 1964.

Ah, here we go...

From the Wikipedia entry on DC results in the 1980 presidential election...

"Carter's 74.9% of the vote represents the lowest vote won by a Democrat in the District of Columbia."

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
It appears the first night of the RNC convention pulled in six times the viewers as did the first night of the DNC convention. I hope this is an indicator that Trump will pull in enough electoral votes that the dems will look crazy when they say he stole the election.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/08/25/numbers-dont-lie-rnc-pulled-in-6x-the-number-of-cspan-viewers-than-the-dnc-and-thats-just-the-beginning/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »
It appears the first night of the RNC convention pulled in six times the viewers as did the first night of the DNC convention. I hope this is an indicator that Trump will pull in enough electoral votes that the dems will look crazy when they say he stole the election.

Just wake up?  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2020, 03:34:11 PM »
It appears the first night of the RNC convention pulled in six times the viewers as did the first night of the DNC convention.
Note that it's 6x C-Span viewers, not overall, and C-span is a relatively small potato in the big picture.
Across the three broadcast networks, the RNC night 1 drew around 4.9 million total viewers, a 14% drop from last Monday’s DNC first night which drew 5.7 million.

Looking at the networks individually, ABC scored the largest total viewership (as it did for the DNC), drawing 1.8 million viewers. NBC was right behind with 1.7 million, followed by CBS with 1.4 million.

As was the case with the DNC last week, it appears that the RNC is on course for much smaller numbers than the previous edition from four years ago. For comparison, the first night of the 2016 RNC delivered 10.1 million viewers in the preliminary broadcast ratings, more than twice the tally from this time around.

The fuller ratings picture for the RNC night 1 will become clearer later in the day when the cable news numbers will also be factored in.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »
Note that it's 6x C-Span viewers, not overall, and C-span is a relatively small potato in the big picture.
We will see what the whole picture looks like.  You might as well ask how many Fox News viewers watched the DNC convention.

I didn't watch the DNC or the RNC last night.  I already know how I will vote.  I think I will try to tune in for the President, or maybe watch in after the fact.  We have a hurricane coming into the area.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend