Author Topic: That's Some Good Shootin'!  (Read 1554 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
That's Some Good Shootin'!
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:27:01 AM »
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070109/NEWS/70109041/1001

Officer frees bald eagle with his best shot
By PERRY BEEMAN
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

January 9, 2007
     12 Comments

An Iowa conservation officer freed a bald eagle stuck on a tree branch and hanging upside down at Lake Red Rock last weekend with a single rifle shot.

Remarkably, the eagle flew away with renewed freedom and at least a chance of survival.

Wow, now thats what I call sharpshooting! exclaimed John Pearson, a state botanist who, along with two friends, found the distressed eagle in the tree Saturday.

The officer, Jason Sandholdt, was off duty and eating lunch in Knoxville on a break from hunting deer with a muzzleloader when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers called from the reservoir southeast of Des Moines. Pearson had been kayaking with Brian Lange and Scott Evans of Knoxville on a warm January day when they found the bird hanging from a branch about 60 feet above the lake near the Elk Rock State Park ranger station.

Sandholdt, who like Pearson works for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, responded with state colleagues and county workers. With binoculars, they could see that the bird appeared to have caught a single talon in a knothole in the branch when it landed. Apparently, the bird tried to take off, losing its balance. It hung from the talon, upside down.

Because the bird was hanging over a cliff and high in the air, ropes and ladders seemed out of the question as rescue tools, Sandholdt said. Many in the group thought a mercy killing was the best option.

Sandholdt asked for a chance to free the bird with his muzzleloader, figuring at best the bird would fall into the lake and have to be rescued for rehabilitation at a clinic.

Its safe to say no one had any confidence that I could do that, Sandholdt said of his proposed sharpshooting. My buddies were waiting for a poof of feathers.

Sandholdt bent a tree sapling over to use as a brace. He used the guns scope to take aim the the .50-caliber muzzleloader, not perhaps the weapon of choice for sharpshooting. The bullet traveled 60 to 70 feet, cleanly through the edge of the knothole. Sandholdt figures he hit the talon, too.

There were accusations of sheer luck, said Lange, one of the kayakers, said of the single shot. He added: It was really a heroic shot.

The eagle flew away. Officers waited for it to collapse. Instead, the bird kept flying, disappearing over the horizon. No one is sure of its odds for survival, but it faced certain death before the rescue, Pearson said.

Sandholdt didnt get a deer that day. The eagle got his best shot.

What a shot it was.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: That's Some Good Shootin'!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:37:26 AM »
If the eagle dies, I'll bet he gets charged
 police
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:13:27 AM »
Us Iowegians and our heroics.. 

I would have shot it and fried it up, heard it tastes like spotted owl.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:26:59 AM »

I would have shot it and fried it up, heard it tastes like spotted owl.

-C

What does spotted owl taste like?  Chicken? grin
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:46:42 AM »
See, this guy makes the shot of a lifetime to save aporr innocent life, and all you guys can talk about is the waste of a good meal!  Oh the horrors!  Why do i even bother coming to this site every day?!?!?   grin

Still, it sounds like a hell of a shot!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:06:06 AM »
Well looking at a Bald Eagle's diet, it probably tastes like a cross between a merganser (fish eater) and a crow (carrion eater).

Any place hog lots dump dead little piggies you're soon to find a mix of crows and eagles.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:28:14 AM »
Last time my kitten got stuck in a tree I rescued it with a beanbag round.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:38:15 AM »
I "rescued" an armadillo once - with a 3200fps 6.5-06 round to his browneye.

"Possum on the half-shell" is an apt description. The last thing that went through his mind...  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
DannyBoy, spotted owl tastes like California Condor.  Don't ask how I know...    grin
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »
Down here, I have seen groups of 50 or 60 buzzards gathered around a dead dear or cow.  Pretty rare to see that many.  Buzzards, vultures, and crows.  Usually only see eagles or falcons hunting mice and stuff like that.  Different area though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge