Author Topic: Moving to Birmingham...tell me about the area.  (Read 785 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Moving to Birmingham...tell me about the area.
« on: March 08, 2006, 07:28:07 AM »
I've taken a job in Birmingham, and would like to know where some good ranges are in/around that area.

Also, I anticipate moving to the area once I'm settled into the job. Where are the most gun-friendly areas of town to live in?
Would those areas also include ways to avoid the awful traffic to get to my downtown office?

I'd prefer to be somewhere with a 'rural' feel to it, would LOVE to be able to buy a place where I could shoot on my own property, but I also don't want to have to drive an hour or more to get there.

One acquaintance told me to consider buying a house anywhere south of downtown; another told me to buy north to avoid the traffic.
When you've lived somewhere for a long time, you know the score.

For instance, in Knoxville, West is generally yuppie, upwardly mobile and includes some social climbers.  More affluent the further out West into the county you get.  South is the low- to lower middle class older area.  North is less "conscpicuous consumption" than West, but with a nice mix of suburbs, country-feel, and a little slower pace than West.  East in town is predominately a minority area, and east in the county is more "country folks".

Anybody know Birmingham at that level, and are you able to give me the low-down on it?
Feel free to email, if you prefer.  Fignozzle@yahoo.com

Anybody have suggestions/opinions?
Thanks,
Fig

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 07:46:01 AM »
Hum...

OK.

Good - It's not Mississippi.

Bad - It's close to Mississippi.

Good - Winters are fairly warm

Bad - Summers are hell on humid earth
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:00:59 AM »
Maybe find a rental-storage for your stuff and rent an apartment while you're exploring?

I spent two different weeks in B'ham at my wife's tradeshows.  From what I saw of the area, south side of I-20 is better.  But that's a limited experience...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:50:59 AM »
Art,
The intent at this point is I'm going to buy an RV (nothing fancy, just utilitarian) and park it at a campground, and stay Mon-Thu nights near the office and go home 2 hours south Fri-Sun nights.